Yahoo:When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More(good read)

Rapunzel*

Your Health
When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More

by Allison Aubrey
Listen Now [4 min 24 sec] add to playlist

Enlarge

Actor Warren Beatty, looking like he hasn't washed his hair in weeks, approaches Julie Christie in a scene from the 1975 movie Shampoo. AP

Web Chat

The reason for your lackluster locks? You may be washing your hair too much. Find out from the experts in an NPR web chat.

NPR Hair Extravaganza

Morning Edition, March 19, 2009 · Americans love to shampoo. We lather up an average of 4.59 times a week, twice as much as Italians and Spaniards, according to shampoo-maker Procter & Gamble.
But that's way too often, say hair stylists and dermatologists. Daily washing, they say, strips the hair of beneficial oil (called sebum) and can damage our locks.
Shampoo Is Big Business
The current trend of frequent shampoos may have started on May 10, 1908, when the New York Times published a column advising women that it was OK to wash their hair every two weeks. At that time, once a month was the norm.
Decades later, TV marketing campaigns began to convince us that daily washing was the thing to do. A 1970s Faberge ad for Farrah Fawcett shampoo is one example.
"All you have to do is watch her running in slow motion on a beach with her hair flopping gracefully in the wind," says Steve Meltzer, a former ad executive. The idea was, "Wash your hair with this stuff, and you, too, can be like Farrah Fawcett," Meltzer says.
Madison Avenue sold people on the idea that they could shampoo their way back to beauty.
Ads also convinced us that daily hair washing is healthy. Remember the Breck girls? Or how about Christie Brinkley's body-building for hair ad with Prell?
Skipping Shampoos Is, Well, Un-American
Americans took easily to the idea that we should shampoo frequently. And lots of us find it disgusting to shampoo any less than once a day. Take some fitness-conscious college students from Georgetown University, for example. When I told them about the old-time advice to wash once a month, they almost gagged.
"That is way too little hair shampooing," laughs Jane Caudell-Feagan.
"If I don't shower every day, my hair gets greasy, so I think it's completely heinous," says her friend Ashley Carlini. After a workout, they say, it would be disgusting not to wash your hair.
Eco-Conscious 'No-'Poo' Movement
Given our cultural propensity to lather up frequently, it may be shocking that in some eco-conscious circles of society, some people are giving up shampoo.
"There's a lot of people doing this no-shampoo movement," says 20-something blogger Jeanne Haegele. She writes a blog called LifeLessPlastic.
In an attempt to buy fewer items with plastic packaging, Haegele recently went three months without using any shampoo. Instead, she washed her hair with baking soda twice a week and conditioned it with a vinegar rinse.
She says her hair didn't smell, and her friends were very supportive. "Maybe they were secretly wondering why I smelled like a jar of pickles," she says jokingly.
She ended the no-'poo experiment after developing a bad case of dandruff, but Haegele says she might try it again.
She recalls the biggest surprise was that her hair didn't get very greasy. For now, she's using shampoo bars a few times a week.

Dermatologist Recommends Shampooing Less
Experts say Haegele's observations are not flaky. As she washed less, her sebaceous glands began producing less sebum oil.
"If you wash your hair every day, you're removing the sebum,
" explains Michelle Hanjani, a dermatologist at Columbia University. "Then the oil glands compensate by producing more oil," she says.
She recommends that patients wash their hair no more than two or three times a week.
There's also a lot of variation among hair types. African-Americans and people with curly hair can go even longer between washes compared to folks with straight hair.
So, it seems, less is more. And maybe our grandmothers were on to something after all.

Very interesting.....I think Imma stretch my washings out to two weeks, cus I think my hair is getting stressed out.....But I agree, less is def more, especially with shampoo......

well when i was cleansing with wen cleansing conditioner my hair was happy. it still is now that i went back to aphogee shampoo but my hair seems thicker and has more body with wen. i think i might cleanse with wen from now on and shampoo only once maybe twice a week.

Hmmm, I don't know if I agree that less frequent washing is helpful for black hair. Most black women outside of this website don't wash that often, so it seems like if this were beneficial then it would be more common to see black women "in real life" with long hair.

"If you wash your hair every day, you're removing the sebum," explains Michelle Hanjani, a dermatologist at Columbia University. "Then the oil glands compensate by producing more oil," she says.

This sounds like it would most black women's dream come true, especially since nearly everyone here puts oil on their hair on a daily basis.

It's true that women didn't wash their hair that often in 1908 but they also didn't bathe that often either. I think I'm gonna keep showering and washing my hair everyday.:lachen:

When I was in high school I had a once a week appointment with my stylist and that was the only time that my hair got washed. I was also on the cross country team and track team and let me tell you sweating heavily 5 days a week and only washing my hair one day a week did not look cute! It also sucked big time only looking nice two days out of the week. I feel so much better now that I wash after every run and don't have to plan my workouts around my hair.

It seems like a lot of black women would love to exercise more often, but they don't because they don't want to mess up their hair. If black women washed more frequently then they wouldn't have to choose between their hair or their workout. So, I guess I'm kind of biased and want washing hair frequently to be beneficial so that we as a race can get more healthy. And anyway, in my experience washing hair frequently does prevent breakage.

Your Health
When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More

There's also a lot of variation among hair types. African-Americans and people with curly hair can go even longer between washes compared to folks with straight hair.
So, it seems, less is more. And maybe our grandmothers were on to something after all.

I'm confused. I thought the reason why black woman don't need to wash their hair that often was because our scalp produces less sebum already. I would think the reverse would be true for us. Washing more frequently (not necessarily using shampoo) would cause the scalp to produce more sebum.

I read this article earlier today and I found it to be very informative. I do agree that you should shampoo less even non- SLS shampoos can be drying and I discovered this when I had new growth. With the fact that I workout often, I cowash frequently and follow it by deep conditioning 3-4x a week and even with co-washing.

Hmmm, I don't know if I agree that less frequent washing is helpful for black hair. Most black women outside of this website don't wash that often, so it seems like if this were beneficial then it would be more common to see black women "in real life" with long hair.

"If you wash your hair every day, you're removing the sebum," explains Michelle Hanjani, a dermatologist at Columbia University. "Then the oil glands compensate by producing more oil," she says.

This sounds like it would most black women's dream come true, especially since nearly everyone here puts oil on their hair on a daily basis.

It's true that women didn't wash their hair that often in 1908 but they also didn't bathe that often either. I think I'm gonna keep showering and washing my hair everyday.:lachen:

When I was in high school I had a once a week appointment with my stylist and that was the only time that my hair got washed. I was also on the cross country team and track team and let me tell you sweating heavily 5 days a week and only washing my hair one day a week did not look cute! It also sucked big time only looking nice two days out of the week. I feel so much better now that I wash after every run and don't have to plan my workouts around my hair.

It seems like a lot of black women would love to exercise more often, but they don't because they don't want to mess up their hair. If black women washed more frequently then they wouldn't have to choose between their hair or their workout. So, I guess I'm kind of biased and want washing hair frequently to be beneficial so that we as a race can get more healthy. And anyway, in my experience washing hair frequently does prevent breakage.

Do you overdo shampoo?

this article was about washing with shampoo daily not conditioner. it had a ww with shampoo lathered in her hair from root to tip.these ppl arent talking about not shampooing at all just not everyday

I read this article earlier today and I found it to be very informative. I do agree that you should shampoo less even non- SLS shampoos can be drying and I discovered this when I had new growth. With the fact that I workout often, I cowash frequently and follow it by deep conditioning 3-4x a week and even with co-washing.
i cowash daily as well. i need some more of my dc though:wallbash:

I agree with this. The only reason I started washing my hair 2x a week was because I learned it on here but my hair grew fine with washing 1x every two weeks. The other techniques I incorporated helped with the length retention. Anyway now I'm back to washing my hair 1x every week or two and with very little shampoo as well or just conditioner. Again, it's growing just fine and is quite healthy. It never feels stripped or oily. When you find the right balance of washing and products, just stick with it.

"Every seven to 10 years, my hair tends to change texture, going from straight to wavy to curly," says Kimberly Fasting-Berg, a marketing executive in New York City.

Omg, I read Cassie said her stylist told her that hair changes texture every 7 years, and I lol'ed. Maybe... they were right? Well, not everyone's obviously.

That might also explain why some cultures cut their children's hair when they don't like the texture. I've had friends of different ethniticities say their parents did that, and it led to a different hair texture or thickness.

I'm confused. I thought the reason why black woman don't need to wash their hair that often was because our scalp produces less sebum already. I would think the reverse would be true for us. Washing more frequently (not necessarily using shampoo) would cause the scalp to produce more sebum.

this is not true. sebum production has nothing to do with race. some black people have oily scalps, some have normal and others have dry.

Do you overdo shampoo?

this article was about washing with shampoo daily not conditioner. it had a ww with shampoo lathered in her hair from root to tip.these ppl arent talking about not shampooing at all just not everyday

I understood what the article was about, I wash daily with shampoo. Most white women shampoo everyday or close to everyday, and I don't know many who have trouble growing their hair to BSL. On the other hand, a lot of black women not on this site shampoo two to four times a month. If this were beneficial for a black woman's hair I think that it would be as common to see black women with long hair as it is to see white women with long hair.

Black women on and off of this site complain about dry hair, and this article states that if you shampoo daily then the oil glands begin to produce more oil. I think that a lot of black women would enjoy having higher oil production.

My theory as a natural 4ab kinky haired girl is that no shampoo is best for me. I now eat foods to INCREASE my sebum production in order to spread this natural protective oil on my hair.

I now wash every 3 to 4 weeks, no shampoo. Just egg, oil, honey and a bit of glycerin shaken up. Every week, I will rinse my ends with a bit of oil and honey to "spruce"them up with more moisture.

My hair really is digging it.

Not for me. I would go a month or longer when i was a child and I had dandruff galore, disgusting scalp problems, and odor. :nono: I still battle those things now, but they have been greatly reduced by more frequent washing. I think once or twice a week is best for my hair. I would never wash it every day anyway, not with shampoo or with conditioner. :nono:

I don't shampoo everyday but it does get wet when I shower. I shampoo about once a week in the winter and 2x a week in the summer. I have always had really long hair so I use Amla in the winter cause chicago has harsh winter. I used to use a product called Posner Bergamot which I loved but I cannot find it anymore. I used just a dab on it was nice.

I wash once every week all year long, and now I co-wash once in the winter and twice in the summer. When I use to wash my hair once every two weeks, my hair was very long. I think once it gets back to it's natural length I will drop it to once a week Co-Wash and once a month Shampoo. Since for me it becomes more of a chore when the hair gets longer. I don't want to spend 2 hours washing my hair.

I understood what the article was about, I wash daily with shampoo. Most white women shampoo everyday or close to everyday, and I don't know many who have trouble growing their hair to BSL. On the other hand, a lot of black women not on this site shampoo two to four times a month. If this were beneficial for a black woman's hair I think that it would be as common to see black women with long hair as it is to see white women with long hair.

Black women on and off of this site complain about dry hair, and this article states that if you shampoo daily then the oil glands begin to produce more oil. I think that a lot of black women would enjoy having higher oil production.

I just have to add that some members with the longest hair on this very forum only wash once every 2-3 weeks (loveyaforeva & Sylver2 come to mind right off hand). One is classic length and the other is WSL or a little past

And anyway, in my experience washing hair frequently does prevent breakage.

I agree with everything you just said. I LOVE washing my hair. I used to hate shampooing, but I found my perfect shampoo and my hair feels hydrated never stripped by it. My scalp does in fact produce more oil--I love it! :grin:My roots are shiny, but never greasy. I just brush it through the top part of my hair and I never have to grease my scalp with products (i believe that this just clogs pores and slows growth) I wash twice a week. No more than that though.

I just have to add that some members with the longest hair on this very forum only wash once every 2-3 weeks (loveyaforeva & Sylver2 come to mind right off hand). One is classic length and the other is WSL or a little past

Well, Sylver2 is a hair genius who can do a lot of things that mere mortals can't do, like 1 year stretches. I'm not familiar with the other member but I say more power to her and the other people who are successful with this.

My only point was that I think that there are benefits to washing more often and that washing less frequently is common in the black community but long hair is not. I'm not trying to slam anyone's hair routine.

Back