Yahoo! I found a way to make my roller sets last!

Butterfly08

Yahoo! I found a way to make my roller sets last! Pics added

I've been setting since I was 11, and I can't believe I didn't discover this sooner! Basically, I separate my hair into four sections - 1 up top in the middle, 2 in the sides and 1 at the bottom (like a cross). This way my hair doesn't fall in opposite ways.

Then I smooth each section with Aveda Light Elements smoothing serum. I do a LOOSE bantu knot with each section and cover with a satin cap. In the morning, my curls are frizz free, soft and defined!!!! I just fluff out my hair and it's so full! That's it!!!! It's Day 5 and I could still keep my hair curly, but I want it super fresh for a banquet tomorrow, so I'm redoing.

Before I could only go 3 days because my curls would flatten or drop (I used to put them in a satin cap and just tuck the ends under).

If anyone is having problems getting their sets to last, TRY IT! The best part - NO ROLLERS after the first set! :drunk:

I will post some pics when I do this again next week - I'll take a fresh pic and then another at day 4 or 5.

ETA: Pics of my 5 day old set. NOTE - I haven't had my highlights touched up in over 6 months! :blush: I promise I'm going in a month...:lachen: I also combed through my hair from root to tip so it's a little looser than it has been all week.

img075.jpg

img076.jpg

img077.jpg

img082.jpg

img083.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the results!

ETA: The results are beautiful and your hair is amazing! I hope mine looks this good when I try it this week.

Last edited:
girl you gotta show me some pictures. This sounds like a dream if this could work for me! I could imagine myself doing it every week!!

Good info! I am rollersetting this weekend and I usually wrap it, but this makes it very flat after a few days!

oh wait, I just got what you said. DUH! You don't do this on wet hair you do this on dry hair.

LOL.

OK, now that makes SO much more sense! I might try this during the next week. Sounds like a very stress free way to do hair and a little easier than pincurling (although that is pretty easy in and of itself).

I tried this on dried hair a couple of weeks ago and it turned out HORRIBLY. I used a smoother and everything...:crying3::crying3::crying3:

Do you think it's because this method works better for long hair? Mine is only a little past SL...and not FULL SL either...only the back middle, though I claim SL because my sides do touch the shoulders when straightened for a length check.

Anyway...my issues aside, does this work better on hair that has some real length to it?

I can't wait to see your pics!!!

cj

Did you twist the hair as you formed the bantu knot or did you just sort of lay it in a coil and pin? (hope that makes sense)

I tried this on dried hair a couple of weeks ago and it turned out HORRIBLY. I used a smoother and everything...:crying3::crying3::crying3:

Do you think it's because this method works better for long hair? Mine is only a little past SL...and not FULL SL either...only the back middle, though I claim SL because my sides do touch the shoulders when straightened for a length check.

Anyway...my issues aside, does this work better on hair that has some real length to it?

I can't wait to see your pics!!!

cj

Longer hair might work better for this. :scratchch

I have done bantu knots before but they were very tight and just stretched out my curls. I believe the trick is LOOSE bantu knots, which work better with hair that is long enough to go around loosely at least once. However I would think SL hair is long enough. You may have to do a few more knots................

Oh, I edited my first post with the pics.

Thanks for the tip. Your set in the photos is nice. I like how the curls fall. I will try it this weekend.

Last edited:
You got my phone....Nice set by the way.
I promise imma learn how to rollerset one of these days.

You got my phone....Nice set by the way.
I promise imma learn how to rollerset one of these days.

LOL - that Treo is great but it's so buggy. :wallbash: I've been through 3 since October 08. :wallbash:

I tried this about 2weeks ago and it came out really pretty,this is how it looks in the bantu knots when the page comes up scroll down to the bantu knots pictures http://www.healthyhairjourney.com/untitled4.html

THESE STYLES ARE GORGEOUS!!!! :worship2:You are good with styling hair. :up:

LOL - that Treo is great but it's so buggy. :wallbash: I've been through 3 since October 08. :wallbash:

THESE STYLES ARE GORGEOUS!!!! :worship2:You are good with styling hair. :up:
Butterfly08, I wish that was my head of hair but its not, thats the site where I first saw how to do the bantu knots so I posted just to let the ones who wanted to know how it should look see for themselves because thats where I first saw it. I dont know her name but She sells products called HYDRATHERMA NATURALS She is good with styling that GORGEOUS HAIR Though:yep:

Last edited:
Basically, I separate my hair into four sections - 1 up top in the middle, 2 in the sides and 1 at the bottom (like a cross). This way my hair doesn't fall in opposite ways.

I'm so confused. I'm on the lookout for a way to roller set so my hair does not separate at the parts - would you explain this like it's roller setting for dummies? I've been doing the mohawk thing since I was a teen - a new way to set - this is interesting info.

I'm so confused. I'm on the lookout for a way to roller set so my hair does not separate at the parts - would you explain this like it's roller setting for dummies? I've been doing the mohawk thing since I was a teen - a new way to set - this is interesting info.

this is what she does with her dry hair at night to go to sleep. this is not a wet set method like the mohawk is.

Back