Wrong hair care advice in black magazines

I know this sounds crazy but those magazines don't make any money from our hair being healthy. They make money from their advertisements which are mainly for hair extensions and products that "guarantee results". If you start growing your own hair in and don't buy the weaves and other products in those magazines well then those companies will go out of business and the magazines will lose an advertising contract and more money.

well i'm a hair mag feen. i can't help it. buti take what they say with what ya'll say and common sense and see what i get. you guys should have read honey's hair and beauty issue. it was really good and had some pretty good info. maybe ya'll should write them and call them out. tell they about our site and see if it ends up in the mag.

I buy them to look at the styles. But first I look through them in the store. If there is not a style that I can create at home all by myself.

That's really bad advice! Hype Hair offers good advice because they told ppl to deep condition and hot oil treatment weekly, sleep on sation pillow cases, use wide tooth combs, etc.

No karezone it's true! That's why we were saying it's all about the $$$.

As far as styles, believe it or not I find more hair styles in white magazines. Most of the time, the styles they have for short hair work fine for me. It was a white magazine (and Meg Ryan) where I first got my flip styles.

I agree with you. I buy the white magazines for hairstyle ideas. I look at the black ones for new products and to get makeup ideas.

[ QUOTE ]
No karezone it's true! That's why we were saying it's all about the $$$.

As far as styles, believe it or not I find more hair styles in white magazines. Most of the time, the styles they have for short hair work fine for me. It was a white magazine (and Meg Ryan) where I first got my flip styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, its white mags I take to salons when I want a specific 'look' or style as the hair is shown flowing, not stiff and ironed and spritzed and coloured and spiked etc etc.

Just more like how I'd want my hair to look. Not OTT. I'd love black mags to show some cool healthy looking natural and esp. for me, relaxed hair styles, cuts etc that demonstrate movement but I guess that's too much for them
sleep.gif

I gotta white mag too. I got so frustrated w/the black mags showin all this long long hair but NOT tellin u how to get it all the time and the opp. is an extreme cut or a style i've already done b4 i got so tired of it i went to a short haired white mag and got me some ideas too. infact i'll buy some more too. When i get to a hair goal im happy with i think i might buy a medium length whit hair mag to style it still. LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
its white mags I take to salons when I want a specific 'look' or style

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same when my hair was relaxed. I got some funny looks, but I didn't care. 'Celebrity Hairstyles' and 'Soap Opera Hairstyles' were favorites.

the funny thing is that i was reading Glamour and it had a Q and A about hair. and one of the questions was about a blk lady who said her hair was damaged because of relaxers and she wanted advice on how to grow her hair and they told her to keep it moisturized and conditioned...which is good advice, only glamour isnt a blk magazine..funny

I think that mainstream stylists (read Caucasian) have come to recognize that there is actually a benefit to becoming more knowledgeable re: Afro-Caribbean hair and hair care. IMO, it's high time.

I always said that if a Caucasian stylist gained enough skill and training re: Afro-Caribbean hair and hair care, it would benefit Black women in as far as options. In other words, we would not be limited to Black stylists.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read the same article. (Thanks to whoever posted the info on magazinevalues.com!
wave.gif
) I stopped reading after the workout advice.
laugh.gif
Who over follows that tip is going to need a weave after all of their hair dries up and cracks off.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I agree with everyone's views here as we're all on the same page anyway. Its a crying shame though like someone said for those who want longer, healthier hair and rely on these Q&A pages and black magazine for the 'pros advice' I too am guilty of once valuing their advice too but realized it wasn't really doing anything different to what I was doing anyway in terms of making a change.

I've met Johnny Gentry twice to get a bang cut in and he's good at that but as far as hair health....
nuts.gif
I had a rollarset done the same day as the bang cut and the conditioner was put in my hair and rinsed out immediately (moisturefuse), it wasn't even left in for a minute! Pathetic...

These mags do need to learn about boards like us. But like everyone realizes, doesn't it boil down to money over really valuable advice giving....?

[/ QUOTE ]

BRH,

You are so right. I remember when I used to look to these magazines for hair care (before boards like this were out) and it was so discouraging to read the Q&A section.

Whenever someone asked how to make their hair grow it was basically "Well cut it, and keep it trimmed". They never stressed moisture, and if they DID they weren't specific about WHAT ingredients to look for in a moisturizer.

Boards like these are terrific because you see REAL people achieving their hair goals, and women who are willing to tell you what they REALLY did to acheive their lengths.

Tara, I do wonder now how many more years these black magazines will spout out the exact same advice. Are black readers just going to sit and take it? Sadly, I would say yes unless it becomes widely known the kind of advice learned here.

Very sad I think. Very.

And it would be nice to see some different hairstyles in these mags without the heavy use of curling irons, etc etc. Until that day comes (if) I'm not buying these mags and supporting them. Sorry to say...

I used to buy hair magazines religiously when I was younger, especially Sophisticates. Even then I knew they often printed a lot of crap. Since I've been natural, I don't bother with em as much (I don't like the idea of natural hair being relegated to a very small section and the styles such magazines have are often avant-garde) but I browse for a nice style if I fancy a change.

I do remember one good piece of advice I from Hype Hair, I remember the stylist recommending leaving longer gaps between retouches, and I began to do em every 12 or 13 weeks, and my hair looked much better for it.

To me, hair magazines are like a lot of hairdressers these days: about hair STYLES but not hair CARE.

i was reading hype hair the other day and they were interviewing some celebrity but i dont know who she was and she was saying how a lot of women wash think they should wash their hair everyday or other day but thats not good for their hair and then she said she keeps her hair healthy by washing every 2 weeks because our natural oils keep it clean. my mouth dropped when i read that. these magazines are full of bull $hit and now when i buy them its just to see the different hair colors -which are done through tracks anyway.

man going from every two weeks to every 4 days or so has been one of the best things Ive done for my hair since going natural!

Some peeps need to get a clue, and quick!

[ QUOTE ]
That was HORRIBLE advice
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately there are TONS of that kind of advice out there. Can you all see why someone who is putting out "Good" information gets Peeved when they see this kind of advice?????????????

sometimes it worries me tho coz i once read an article by some hair guru who sed that curling irons were gentler on hair and needed to be used on hair every day to keep the hair strong and i thot to myself
angry2.gif
coz ppl rely on these ppl for this kinda stupid advice!! then another hairt guru had the nerve to say that relaxed hair was more brittle than average hair so it needed to be trimmed every 2/3 weeks to ensure no split ends formed!! trims every 2 weeks??
frown.gif

It would be a great if we could put together our own magazine featuring our hair experiences. We could use our before and after photos and testimonies to show that we are real.
bouncy.gif

Back