Would you pay these prices?

LAYDEE

I just went on the Ellin Lavar website(the hair stylist from the new show "Hair Trauma" on the WE network) and i was just wondering if any of you ladies would spend this type of money on hair care. For those of you that have seen the first few episode of the show, please put aside the fact that the atmosphere in the shop is all the way ghetto and drama feeled--i personally wouldnt let anyone in that shop near my hair-negative energy gives negative results. Im just curious to know how the ladies of LHCF feel...here is a link to her price list--its off the hook...
http://www.lavarhairdesigns.com/currentpricelist.pdf

Last edited:
shiningstar84 said:
What are the prices? I can't open .pdf files. takes too much work

sorry about that. if anyone else is having probs viewing the price list--go to www.lavarhairdesigns.com there is a section where you can see the services and price list--i think you have to have adobe acrobat to view.
BUT for those of you that are still having probs--here are a view prices that caught my attention:
EyeBrow Waxing - $16
Touch up - $96-includes basic con and style
Shampoo/Rollerset/Curl - $76 & up
Box Braids - $700(by ellin) $600(by staff)
Full Head Weave - $600(by ellin) $500(by staff)
Cornrows - $450(by ellin) $400(by staff) *tightening after 10weeks is double listed price:eek:

Last edited:
$80 for a ponytail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's ridiculous! Uh, yeah those prices seem extreme. Is that a "new york" thing?

I have gone to high-end salons and these prices are about right. I actually think her full head weaves are cheap because my old stylist started at $800, his wash and sets/ blow were $80 and when I wanted a perm I was spending well over $100 .
I really like the show it is in my TIVO line-up, I'll watch it when I get home.

NO!! I would never pay that much!

I got a weave once that was about $700. It was a technique that did not braid and was very flat. It was the best weave I ever had. But, it did not even last that long so it was a big waste of money.

Never again!!

these are the prices of a salon with an educated experienced stylist and high quality hair products and appliances. I have paid prices like these in the past (looking at relaxer prices). At any old salon I have a problem paying more than $50 for anything...

based on the quality of her work featured in the photogallery on her website

@$#^$& NO!

never

i've seen better results from a non licensed beautician working out of kitchen

LAYDEE said:
sorry about that. if anyone else is having probs viewing the price list--go to www.lavarhairdesigns.com there is a section where you can see the services and price list--i think you have to have adobe acrobat to view.
BUT for those of you that are still having probs--here are a view prices that caught my attention:
EyeBrow Waxing - $16
Touch up - $96-includes basic con and style
Shampoo/Rollerset/Curl - $76 & up
Box Braids - $700(by ellin) $600(by staff)
Full Head Weave - $600(by ellin) $500(by staff)
Cornrows - $450(by ellin) $400(by staff) *tightening after 10weeks is double listed price:eek:

the brow,touchup, shampoo/rollerst thoes are the prices that I am used to seeing. The braids, and weaves, that's a bit steep

I've paid that much before. If the stylist is good, I think I would pay it maybe once a month or on special occasions.:ohwell:

I've been to high end salons and this is the price range, I've paid $75 for a wash/set/blow and well over $100 for a relaxer (touch-up). Most salons that charge alot for services are using high quality products. Now, I would have a fit if the salon was charging all that money and used Dove or Suave on my hair.:lachen:

$36 for a temporary color rinse whenI can go to the bss and get some Adore for $2.99?

Puhleeze.

ajargon02 said:
the brow,touchup, shampoo/rollerst thoes are the prices that I am used to seeing. The braids, and weaves, that's a bit steep

I agree. I pay about $110 (includes tip) for a texturizer touch up. I maybe pay about $65 for a pore cleaning, wash, deep conditioner, and curl. However, a weave wouldn't cost more than $400, and I can get braid services for no more than $350 for a full head of micro-braids at my sister's salon that specializes in hair braiding.

This is the reason I don't go to the salon. Someone quoted a price for flat ironing my hair at $75 and I've paid $90 (+tip) for a bikini wax before. I haven't really priced a lot of services, but the ones I'd use look a lot cheaper than what I'm used to seeing around here.

I paid close to $100 for highlights at a hair school. :(

I think that the prices seem reasonable. For a high end salon i would have thought it would be alot higher. The cost for braided styles like micros and the weaves are a little out of my price range, though.

I will start off by stating that I have never been to a high end salon nor do I intend to. I don't spend more than $100 on any hairdo, I would rather sock that money away into my deferred comp or savings....yes, I am cheap but I don't skimp on quality. I go to a salon, and pay what I consider to be reasonable prices for top notch service. Now maybe that would be different if I had more money or lived in an area where those were the going rates

I won't pay more than $10 for eye brow waxing, $50 for cornrows, $35 for a wash and set, and $75 for a touch up. That is what my market can bear :D

ps....did anyone see Susan Taylor on last night's show? Now we know who has contributed to her traction alopecia :grin:

These prices seem comparable to the show BLOW OUT where Jonathan is the owner The Jonathan Salon. On one show one of his customer's paid $200 for the shampoo blow dry and cut and $400 for the color--- a total of $600. THat is if you have Jonathan to style your hair. I guess when they hit celeb / tv status they can charge whatever :look:

Most of these prices are comparable to what the high-end salons in Atlanta charge. However, for some box braids or cornrows, I'd rather go to the Africans and pay a third of what Lavar charges. I had to get a corrective relaxer which was considered "virgin" in my last salon and it was $120 before the tip.

JCoily said:
The weave and braid prices are ridiculous, but some of the other services like color are reasonable.

I totally agree!!

The brazilian bikini price is very reasonable (been wanting this done, but am skurred :lol: )

But some micros for $750 in NYC...they can have that...you can go uptown and get some for $120 hair included. Even if you bought more expensive hair, its still no where near $750 and my braids always come looking GREAT!

Chinagem said:
$80 for a ponytail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's ridiculous! Uh, yeah those prices seem extreme. Is that a "new york" thing?

No girl that is far from being a "New York" thang. :grin:

Lusa said:
I will start off by stating that I have never been to a high end salon nor do I intend to. I don't spend more than $100 on any hairdo, I would rather sock that money away into my deferred comp or savings....yes, I am cheap but I don't skimp on quality. I go to a salon, and pay what I consider to be reasonable prices for top notch service. Now maybe that would be different if I had more money or lived in an area where those were the going rates

I won't pay more than $10 for eye brow waxing, $50 for cornrows, $35 for a wash and set, and $75 for a touch up. That is what my market can bear :D

ps....did anyone see Susan Taylor on last night's show? Now we know who has contributed to her traction alopecia :grin:

ITA with everything you posted. I just cant see myself paying over $100 on a hair style--Now clothes and my shoes are a different story:p --The rest of the money goes into savings and investments...When Im living like Oprah then I'll probably hit up the upscale salon---Naw-who am I kidding, I'll just spend more money on clothes and shoes;)

PryncessLana said:
But some micros for $750 in NYC...they can have that...you can go uptown and get some for $120 hair included

Exactly. You have a choice of hundreds of braiders uptown vying for your business at dirt CHEAP prices!!!!!! If you spend $750 in NY, you're throwing money away just becuz

As for the weaves - If she does Venus Williams' weaves - I'll, umm, pass. :look:

Last edited:
Back