Would You Go On A First Date... to the Mall?

Would you go a first date to the mall

• Why not!

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • H*llz no!

Votes: 35 63.6%

• Total voters
Ok... well in this *highly hypothetical* question... the man who asked this young woman out is 26 years old...

Okay, lets get down to business.

Why would he ask her to go to the mall? Did he mean go to the mall to MEET UP and then switch cars and head out to the real date?

Did she go? Is he broke? What are u gonna do in the mall? Unless there is a Dave & Busters in there which is a cool setting for a date then we dont need to go the mall.

Windowshop and talk? And then ask me if im hungry and proceed to the Cookie stand or Food court? NO!

How did it go down?

Okay, lets get down to business.

Why would he ask her to go to the mall? Did he mean go to the mall to MEET UP and then switch cars and head out to the real date?

Did she go? Is he broke? What are u gonna do in the mall? Unless there is a Dave & Busters in there which is a cool setting for a date then we dont need to go the mall.

Windowshop and talk? And then ask me if im hungry and proceed to the Cookie stand or Food court? NO!

How did it go down?
Miss Brown you're killing me:lachen:You sound JUST like my best friend!

I'm supposed to be studying, so I'll give you the cliffs notes version.

I met a cute guy at work 2 months ago, he's been trying to talk to me ever since. Finally gave him the number a few days ago becaue he seemed nice and respectful.

We agreed to get together tomorrow when I finish school. Tonight on the phone I asked where exactly we were going to go since he suggested we do something in his area (I'm still new to the city). I wanted to make it clear that I was NOT going to his home.

Then he tells me, the mall..............:look: That was me on the phone, I was so utterly flabbergasted that I was at a complete loss for words. He was like, hello? hello? Anyway, I told him I might not be able to make it, and that I would let him know tomorrow.

He doesn't have a car, and I don't know anything about his financial situation except that he is still finishing up school (business) and he works security.

Either way, I think the mall is a very un-creative and juvenile idea for a first date...

Miss Brown you're killing me:lachen:You sound JUST like my best friend!

I'm supposed to be studying, so I'll give you the cliffs notes version.

I met a cute guy at work 2 months ago, he's been trying to talk to me ever since. Finally gave him the number a few days ago becaue he seemed nice and respectful.

We agreed to get together tomorrow when I finish school. Tonight on the phone I asked where exactly we were going to go since he suggested we do something in his area (I'm still new to the city). I wanted to make it clear that I was NOT going to his home.

Then he tells me, the mall..............:look: That was me on the phone, I was so utterly flabbergasted that I was at a complete loss for words. He was like, hello? hello? Anyway, I told him I might not be able to make it, and that I would let him know tomorrow.

He doesn't have a car, and I don't know anything about his financial situation except that he is still finishing up school (business) and he works security.

Either way, I think the mall is a very un-creative and juvenile idea for a first date...

Okay, all that other stuff, blah blah blah :blah:

You buried the other important part... HE DOESN'T HAVE A CAR? HE'S 26 AND DOESN'T HAVE A CAR?!!! WTF???

Unless you live in New York City or something, that's ridiculous!

Okay, all that other stuff, blah blah blah :blah:

You buried the other important part... HE DOESN'T HAVE A CAR? HE'S 26 AND DOESN'T HAVE A CAR?!!! WTF???

Unless you live in New York City or something, that's ridiculous!
:lachen:I hear you... in his defence though, he is in the process of buying a home.

:lachen:I hear you... in his defence though, he is in the process of buying a home.

Are you in the UK? That might be different too. ;)

As for the mall date, that's not acceptable. If it's a first date, it should be a sit-down type of thing somewhere... doesn't have to be costly, but something where you can sit, eat a little (or drink a little) and chat.

Yikes...but okay...I'll try to play Devil's Advocate for a sec...

1.) What kind of mall are we talking here? All malls are not created equal. There are malls that have good eating places, movie theaters, and even clubs built into them. If we are talking about that type of mall, then I could see a date that would be centered around where everything is. But if he's talking about a food court/window shopping date...oh HECK no.

2.) Okay, so he doesn't have a car. Does he have a way of getting around that doesn't involve you? Honestly, I've known some older male students who've gone a while w/o cars because of school expenses, etc...but they always had a way to get around, be it their homeboy, cousin, or someone who let them borrow their car. But if he thinks you're going to be picking him up...um no.:rolleyes:

If you see this as fun, and he's paying, why not go and see what this is all about? What's there to lose? Unless ol' boy wants you to pick him up.:nono:

@ Red Riot, there were two malls suggested, and they are both "mega-malls," no clubs, but there are a few ok restaurants and I know at least one has a movie theatre... by why not just suggest a movie or dinner?

Thanks for the responses ladies... I really don't see myself going on this "date" but I'm going to call him tomorrow either way. I'll let you know what happens, if anything.

I'm falling asleep here, so have a good-night! :yawn:

Yup, sure depends on the mall. I love the Irvine Spectrum it is such a great place for a date.

Maybe he's giving you his american express gold card to go shopping? LOL. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...

However, juvenile aside, malls are just not a guy thing period. I find it strange that he would suggest it. I say go, just to satisfy our curiosity. You never know what'll happen.:lachen:

Maybe he is taking her out to dinning in the mall. I went on a date in a mall, but we went to a Mexican restaurant and we had a nice time.

Im married and past 26 but I werent I would go on a date to the mall in a HEARTBEAT... iits a cool, open, public, non-committal place...

Aint nothing worse than being at a fancy restaurant 20 mins into the date & realizing that you cant stand this emmer effer..

or being 30 mins into a movie and he putting his arm around you & you are secretly wishing the theater had technical difficulties so you could bolt out of there

IMO, the 1st date should eb short & sweet... walk around, sit on a bench, whatever...out in public... see if he can hold a decent conversation before you invest any time or effort into him... see if he can keep your attention despite you eyeing that fierce D & B bag in the window of the signature store in the mall....

See if he can eat a Cinnabon without making a mess before ya let em take you upscale & embarrass ya

See if he has stalker & possessive issues while ya got 1000 other folks around

Im married and past 26 but I werent I would go on a date to the mall in a HEARTBEAT... iits a cool, open, public, non-committal place...

Aint nothing worse than being at a fancy restaurant 20 mins into the date & realizing that you cant stand this emmer effer..

or being 30 mins into a movie and he putting his arm around you & you are secretly wishing the theater had technical difficulties so you could bolt out of there

IMO, the 1st date should eb short & sweet... walk around, sit on a bench, whatever...out in public... see if he can hold a decent conversation before you invest any time or effort into him... see if he can keep your attention despite you eyeing that fierce D & B bag in the window of the signature store in the mall....

See if he can eat a Cinnabon without making a mess before ya let em take you upscale & embarrass ya

See if he has stalker & possessive issues while ya got 1000 other folks around

thats a good perspective on the issue.

I would ask him; what are we going to be doing at the mall. She may have something sweet planned out. But if it was simply window shopping then I would not go; that was something that I did in HS.

thats a good perspective on the issue.

I would ask him; what are we going to be doing at the mall. She may have something sweet planned out. But if it was simply window shopping then I would not go; that was something that I did in HS.

Maybe he is gonna talk about all the things he is gonna buy when he finishes school:look:

Like stated before, I would ask what are we gonna do at the mall.."dunno, just chill and talk" should not be an acceptable answer.

I did with my fiancée 3 years ago, it was an outlet mall that had a movie theatre so we were walking around breaking the ice before our movie started.

Maybe he is gonna talk about all the things he is gonna buy when he finishes school:look:

Like stated before, I would ask what are we gonna do at the mall.."dunno, just chill and talk" should not be an acceptable answer.

Why did the bolded make me: lachen::lachen::lachen: that my tummy hurts.

OP: Perhaps he meant he wanted to take you to the movies and then dinner- which is located at the mall and he just wasn't so specific in his response :look:. He doesn't have a car so I guess that he thinks it would be a good locale. Can't wait to read an update.

Okay, having read the other responses, I say that you need to find out what he wants to do at the mall.

If he says, "Go to So-and-So Restaurant and then catch a movie," cool. Or Starbucks or whatever...

If he has no plan though, then he's likely some broke cheap joker who's not worth your time.

Good luck!

The bolded made me LOL:lachen:

When I woke up I was already to call him up and tell him I am absolutely not feeling the mall, but with the new perspectives given here I think I will ask to see if he has something planned for the mall.

@ PassionFruit: You know I never thought of it that way, there are sooooome definite upsides to the mall... but still my head says :rolleyes:

If I didn't know a guy that well, a mall would be a perfect very public date spot. There's movies at the mall, places to eat, places to sit and talk .... so yeah, I would. And we're also in the perfect spot if the mood would happen to strike him to buy me something! :grin:

Now:

Only if the mall had an Oliver Garden, The Outback (or a restaurant that's comparable).

Then:

If I were a teenager I would.

This entire thread had me :lachen:

I probably would not go, but go with your gut and if you are not really feeling him or his mall date then don't sweat it.

:mad:

You stole my answer.

:mad:

:lachen:

Dang, MizzBrown stole my answer too :grin:

I am actually repulsed at the idea. Sorry. I know he is saving for a home and whatnot but who the hell cares? Is dinner going to reduce his downpayment? That sounds really juvenile to me. Walking around, window shopping, and then what McDonald's Express?

You deserve better :yep:

:lachen:for what? sorry but no...and i just turned 20 about 2 months ago. i wouldn't accept it from guys my age; i think it's funny if a guy aged 16+ is taking girls to the mall for a date. additionally, i wouldn't accept clothing, jewellery, electronics etc from a guy on the first date anyway. paying dinner or cinema tickets etc is standard, anything above and beyond that is not acceptable in my book. so i wouldn't even accept a mall date even if he wanted to buy out LV for me (guess it helps that i hate the brand though :rolleyes:).

Back