Votes: 5 23.8%
  • only if I've tried on that particular dress before

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manter26

I'm not getting married anytime soon, I'm very single. :lol: But I went on Hautelook.com today and they have wedding dresses steeply discounted. Some of them are in the $300 down from around $1,500!

View them here: http://www.hautelook.com/event/14878bridalandcowc

Anyway, that made me think...would I buy something like that online, sight unseen, if I could get an incredible deal like that? IDK

I'm a thrifty person and I don't like to spend a lot of money but I do love a bargain. I prefer mid range brands at cheap prices...like BCBG for $10 or less. :yep: I did buy my prom dress online. I think it was $20. They only had 3 sizes left. I ordered a size 10 and it was out of stock. I knew it would be big but I planned to take out some panels and make a shawl or something. :look: The vendor called me and said the 10s had sold out and they were sorry because they only had size 2s and 14s or something. I told her to send me the 2. This woman refused- said there was no way it would fit. I argued her to the ground and she reluctantly put in the order. Well when it came it fit perfect. :lol: I'm a D cup so my boobs were a little smooshed but other than that it turned out to be a great thing the 10s were gone. IDK what I would have done in that tent. Alterations would have cost a fortune and the shawl was a terrible idea.

So...my question to you is- would you buy a wedding dress online? why or why not?

PS: here's my referral code if you want to join hautelook :look:

If it was made in the US and not one of these chinese knock offs I would. I did end up buying my dress at a store, but i did try to find it online first.

I also wouldn't mind purchasing a used dress or renting one.

I purchased mine from an online vendor when I got married. I was very satisfied with it.:yep: I paid $399.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I saw the haute look sale too.. I'm actually tempted to buy one.. No I'm no engaged but hopefully I will by the end of the year.

I voted "only if I'd tried it on before"...Well actually I meant if I've tried on that STYLE of dress. But when I was planning my wedding, I was open to online gowns. I just found something better.

That's gorgeous!

Thank you so much!

That is beautiful!:grin:

How do you find out prices? I don't see any listed.

MizAvalon You will rarely find dress prices on manufacturer websites since at all varies by retailer. That particular dress was $799.

That's a pretty dress and very simple/elegant. I love the waist details.

This is exactly what I love about it. It's simple but not too simple. And I love that it's a halter because sweetheart necklines are overdone IMO. The slit is perfect since I'm getting custom shoes. This dress is absolutely perfect for my destination wedding!

Never again... I did it.. Gave them my exact measurements... Dress got sent in from China... and I looked like a toothpick in a potato sack.... I lost $400.... cos I was getting married in less than a week, and shipping back to China would have been too costly to be worth it.

Never again... I did it.. Gave them my exact measurements... Dress got sent in from China... and I looked like a toothpick in a potato sack.... I lost $400.... cos I was getting married in less than a week, and shipping back to China would have been too costly to be worth it.

I would never buy my dress from China. I've heard way too many horror stories. Most people actually advise against this.

But buying online from trusted stores like Bebe or maybe second hand wedding item websites like, reclyedbride.com, aren't too bad.

ETA: Sorry you had such a terrible experience. I hope you were still able to find the dress of your dreams.

Last edited:
I did.

I ended up deciding to elope and moved my wedding UP by 10 months! So I needed a dress urgently (within a month). So since I buy EVERYTHING on ebay, I decided to look there.

I went to a tailor and got measured, and then used the bridal gowns websites size chart to find my correct size.

I searched by designer name and my size on ebay, and ended up with a Maggie Sottero for $300, new with tags, never worn.

It fit perfectly too!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:( Sorry to hear that. What did you end up doing judy4all ?

I did.

I ended up deciding to elope and moved my wedding UP by 10 months! So I needed a dress urgently (within a month). So since I buy EVERYTHING on ebay, I decided to look there.

I went to a tailor and got measured, and then used the bridal gowns websites size chart to find my correct size.

I searched by designer name and my size on ebay, and ended up with a Maggie Sottero for $300, new with tags, never worn.

It fit perfectly too!

What a lucky find! It looks great on you.

I would never buy my dress from China. I've heard way too many horror stories. Most people actually advise against this.

But buying online from trusted stores like Bebe or maybe second hand wedding item websites like, reclyedbride.com, aren't too bad.

ETA: Sorry you had such a terrible experience. I hope you were still able to find the dress of your dreams.

I love the idea of buying recycled. It seems like most are comfortable buying online. I still think the Hautelook sale is kinda crazy though. The items are only up for 2 days or so and you don't get much advanced notice to do research... but I guess it beats fighting it out at a trunk sale.

Back