Would I get faster growth if I did a BC than if I did a long term transition?

Would I get faster growth if I did a BC than if I did a long term transition?

• Yes, I think a BC helps your hair to grow faster because you are retaining length.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • No, a BC doesn't mean you you will see faster growth.

Votes: 80 63.5%
  • In my experience, it didn't matter.

Votes: 27 21.4%

• Total voters
Three, for me, transitioning hair breaks off on it's on eventually, just like any ends. I don't think my relaxed hair in the back was very long, and so it disappeared long ago. All thorugh the back of my head, my hair is completely naturally... naturally!

This is what happened to me - I was uhmming and ahhing, going back and forth about BC-ing while in my protective style of weaves and when I took them out lo and behold the relaxed hair had broken off by itself because the new growth coming in was so much thicker the relaxed ends just disappeared.

I would BC and then maybe do a protective regime like bunning, braids, weave if I still had enough hair. I would never do one of those BC with only an inch of hair left or a TWA because I know I can't cope with that.

I transitioned once for over a year about 10 years ago and have never big chopped. I will tell you that I retained all my new growth because my relaxed ends took the daily wear and tear. My natural ends were not exposed to breakage. I personally didn't have noticeable breakage at my line of demarcation either. So I def got great retention of my natural hair while I was transitioning.

The down side is that it was a struggle accepting all this new texture. Also learning how to style and retain that hair.

1) It depends on your hair. I think that it depends on the strength of your hair -- in my experience, thin, fragil-ish hair (not talking damage but just diameter, density, etc.) just likes ... other hair. Sounds like a riddle but it's not. I remember in school that when everyone chopped off their hair to get layers or a Halle/Nia style, the people who experienced a lot of rapid growth all had thickish hair to begin with. Those who had thinner hair (like moi) either, stayed with short hair or had a really hard time growing it out. Conversely, those with a blunt cut (one basic length with bangs or an inch or two max cut into the crown for shape) had no problem growing hair out. I think that when thin-ish hair is cut short and not "protected" by other hair, it is vulnerable. Ironically, these are the people who really want to cut/layer hair to make it look thicker -- beware the allure of illusion.

2) Depends on your regime. As everyone has said, it also has a lot to do with care and how you handle the transition point. Direct heat is just out -- leave it alone until you feel comfortable letting the relaxed hair go, if ever. I would suggest roller setting, gentle combing only when conditioner is in hair, etc. -- you know, the basic HHC routine that every should know by rote by now.

3) A suggestion for easing the transition with or w/o BC. This might be the most important piece of advice (IMO): soften your new growth from the inside out -- e.g., by taking Horsetail or Bamboo Silica, MSM (if you can tolerate it, I can't).

4) My "testimony" lol. Hope that helps. I wore weaves for several years, had about 10" of new growth, and then ... as a result of a weavecare set back and take down tangle debacle - had to cut it all off and more ... my hair has never been the same in terms of length, thickness, etc. Granted, I'm in my 40s so my growth rate may be slower than yours and, believe me, it is far (far) better than it was because of info/techniques learned here but ... it was never the same after the BC. Just sayin' It is tempting, I know; because even with my experience and hindsight, those scissors beckon every now and then.

Last edited:
No reason to think that it'll grow faster with one way over another.

I personally feel that retention is best while transitioning because the relaxed ends takes the damage before the natural ends do, but if someone is experiencing breakage at the demarcation line then it would of course be all the contrary.

I just finished a 28 month transition, my hair is not yet BSL but quite below APL.

This year will be five years since I went from relaxing after 8 years to natural. Well I transitioned from relaxed to natural and my hairdresser trimmed off my relax end what helped me through is protein treatments. Yes for me it was worth it. My hairdresser was not going to do a big chop.

I BCd. it was just hair. It grew back. I never transitioned so I can't tell you which is faster. all I know is one year ago I chopped off all of my hair and now it's long enough to bun.

Back