Wool Coat Woes...

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Ok, so I am totally against wool coats. I've had MANY winters as a child where my "kitchen" was broken off and jacked up because of my wool coat. Fast forward a million years to today. So I haven't purchased a wool coat in about 3 -4 years, but I do have one nice one in my closet. So I've been purchasing coats made from other fabrics for my winter coats. I decided to wear my wool coat today. I have a HUGE silk/satin (I don't know which- I took off the tag ages ago) scarf around the collar to protect my "kitchen" (aka the nape area of hair for those who don't know what a "kitchen" is) Anyway, I think I will be trashing the coat when I get home. I could've sworn I STILL felt a few hairs being pulled THROUGH the scarf! I can't have that. I also wore my hair in a high bun today... I think I will throw the coat away (no, I will donate it) because I don't like my coats dictating my hairstyles. :ohwell:

Has anyone sucessfully worn a wool coat with no hair damage? If so, tell us (me) how? TIA :drunk:

I feel you girl. I wouldn't throw my coat away though. I only wear mine when bunning and that's also with a silk/satin scarf and I'm constantly checking to make sure nothing is touching my kitchen the whole time. I take the whole jacket off when I get in the car too.

But it's probably just your imagination feeling the hairs popping through the scarf, unless your scarf wasn't covering your collar all the way.

Don't throw it away, just maybe get a bigger scarf to cover everything.

I always wear a scarf around my neck and make sure it's pulled up enough in back to protect my nape. You could also try wearing a wide headband until you reach your destination. When my hair is straight, I wear a snood until I take my coat off. Where I live, wool is a must so I have to adjust accordingly.

You can always protect your hair under a scarf and hat until you take the coat off.

Last edited:
this is my main reason for bunning. my wool coat and my car seat was just turning on me! i like wearing a bun or having my hair up, wearing a scarf until i reach my destination.

I like being healthy more than looking cute while walking to and from places in cold weather. I gravitate more toward my puffer and some animal skin coat I got as a gift, but when I do pull out my wool coats, I wouldn't let my hair rest on my shoulders. That's just what it is for that day. And like OP I have a silk scarf I'd wrap around my neck after I put my coat on so that my hair couldn't rub against the wool.

It's nice to want to be cute, but I've resigned to the fact that I can't look the way I'd like to in winter, if I could, I'd be running around in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, so unwanted adjustments are just part of winter in NYC.

I agree, keep the coat. Can you wear a scarf or a hair clip until you get to your destination? Or take the coat to a seamstress and get a satin lining around the collar that matches. Look cute and be warm without snagging out your hair.

Would this look work for you with a satin scarf under your coat?

746611435_7852ce307d.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Only wool seems to keep me warm. I previously had a hooded wool coat so any hair would be touching the satin liner of the hood. This year I got a new wool coat without a hood & I couldn't figure out why the nape kept getting so fuzzy even with my hair up. The collar of the coat goes pretty high & I didn't realize this could be why until I read this! I used my scarf today & that really helped.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back