Women are no longer wearing their hair long?

Do MOST women over the age of 30 wear their hair short

• Yes, I have noticed.

Votes: 107 59.4%
  • No, they rock their long hair at any age

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • I have not noticed

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny you notice that because I too noticed the same yesterday. I was in a company meeting and notice just about every woman had SL hair. The SL Bob are really big for that age group now.

I noticed that older women do sport shorter hairstyles. It's majorly because long hair sometimes ages people. I know that was the main reason my mother cut her hair and I must admit she did look younger once it was shorter. My father hates it short, but she looks so much more youthful without a head full of long hair, especially since it has started to thin some.

I've noticed this for years. Older women sport shorter hair more so than younger ones. Not sure why, I always thought it was a personal preference. There might be some truth to what they say about long hair ages older women, but since I am definitely past 30, I am looking forward to you all calling me witchy looking in a few years when my hair will be hanging down my back!:flyingwitlook out, here I come!

I've noticed that women over 40 tend to crop their hair. Has anyone read the book "How Not to Look Old"? As I recall, one of the tips was to avoid cutting your hair short as you get older. The author said it draws attention to a sagging jawline and neck and detracts from a woman's sensuality.

I was told in my profession it was unwise for me to have hair longer than shoulder length unless I wanted to wear it in a bun 24/7. All of the ladies I've worked with have sleek or slightly wavy SL or shorter hair. Because I'm natural I can get away with longer hair if I don't press. :ohwell:

Yes I see this a lot matter of fact when I went to the salon a week ago a lady had my stylist cut her APL hair to a neck length bob because she wanted a change for her 45th birthday

I know a girl with MBL naturally fluffy wavy sandy brown hair and it's gorgeous.

She cannot keep the flat irons out of it and now it SL, due to trimming off damage.

I wonder what part flat irons are playing in what OP is seeing, since it's affecting women in general.

I am 38 and I don't intend of going with what everyone else is doing. God knows I see enough soccer moms in my area with pants up to their waist and I'm certainly not going to do that either LOL
:lachen:That's funny lol

Yes- I have noticed. Isn't there a rule that you're supposed to cut your hair an inch shorter for every year or something? This I have heard especially in reference to business women- so that they're taken more seriously...

But I say- make your own rules! :)

Yes I have noticed. One of my coworkers (over 30) went from wl hair to between apl and bsl hair after a hair cut. The hairdresser told her that she need to get rid of her dead ends. :perplexed:perplexed

I feel that it should be up to the woman if she wants her hair to be long not because she hits 30 and she needs to cut it off. I love long hair and healthy hair and I know a woman in her late sixties with bsl length grey hair and it is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yep: I used to think it was an unspoken rule that "fashionable women" cut their hair at 40 to SL or shorter to look youthful.

THey also tell young women to cut their hair shorter to be taken more seriously and look older and more mature, so they can't have it both ways.
Actually they called it "fashion" but that's not the real reason, Frederic Fekkai confessed it on some show he said the real reason why that "rule" came about is b/c women weren't taking care of their hair and by the time all the bad hair-care, coloring, perming and heat styling caught up with you you'd be 50-ish. Now he also said if you have healthy hair and you've always had long hair and it suits you keep it long. So it's really not about age it's about healthy hair. I've noticed the opposite everyone who's teen/college or just new grad is cutting their hair shorter.

Now the reason the OP sees this trend among the 30-something set is b/c it's also drilled into our heads by yt-american culture to cut your hair when you have a baby, cause you won't have time to take care of it. Well obviously someone forgot to tell Indians cause unlike Jane and her 1 daughter Becky, Fatima has like 4-5 kids and still keeps her tailbone length hair thick, moist, and slammin, so there's another urban myth busted.
A little off topic: I've noticed that cultures that encourage women to keep longer length below shoulder and beyond, and encourage feminine styles have less percentage of divorce, I don't think it's just the hair, but I think it's everything that goes with the hair, some women lose their femininity when they cut their hair short, they start dressing frumpy, not taking care of their bodies, not exercising, and just letting themselves go and let's face it men are visual and hard wired to look for signs of health and beauty, so that can't be the way to keep your man. They don't expect you to look 19 forever but they do expect you to look like a woman. look good, and still be feminine. JMO

Last edited:
A lot of folks around here regardless of race or age have short(er) hair.

I live with 4 white girls and my APL hair is longer than theirs by far.

I've noticed 50 and older with shorter hair; but, not younger. I live in Southern CA and it's an unspoken rule to have long hair. Weird, but it seems that way.

Yes I have noticed this. I have heard once from an YT co-worker that at a certain age it’s appropriate to cut the hair shoulder length or shorter...she called it "mom hair" lol.

But all of my aunts are shoulder length or shorter and most woman here at my job are shoulder or shorter except for Indian woman. They all have hair down to their tale bones. I haven't seen not ONE with hair shorter than BSL.

I guess at a certain age short cuts are considered mature and longer hair is seen as youthful maybe.

That's unfortunate IMHO. There are non-western people who don long hair their entire lives. Everyone knows their age and that they are not trying to act younger. I plan on being old and graceful with long hair.

One thing troubling to me, professions that suggest you cut...????? I'm all for education and professional development...but how many are so involved with their professions that they lose their personal lives? If someone won't take you seriously, then up your game and be uber qualified and professional...donning long hair. Somehow, we've got to break the cycle of this sexism. It's not the hair...it's the men.

Last edited:
. . .
I am 38 and I don't intend of going with what everyone else is doing. God knows I see enough soccer moms in my area with pants up to their waist and I'm certainly not going to do that either LOL

Hello and Hollerlujah! I live in Western PA and I refuse to start looking PA Dutch. Not that it is a bad look - for them. Beige, pastels, and baggy clothes just don't do it for me.

. . . It's all about ease... :yep:

. . .In my profession, I see stay at home moms with longer hair, and working moms with shorter. A generalization, to be sure, but overall pretty accurate to me. . .

ITA!!

A lot of times older women don't wear it long because it won't grow. Older people lose thier hair from illnesses and medications they have to take and from the slowing of the growth rate. . . .

:lachen:Goodness. She said over 35-40 - Not over 110. You got us Divas with one foot in the coffin. :lachen: I hear you, but the meds and the losing of "toofs and hur" don't usually start this early.

I wrote a blog about this once. I have struggled with this as an almost 40 year old this year. I always had longish hair but am only serious about growing it LHCF long (WL) now. I just want to see if I can do it. . . .

Bingo!!

I decided 6 mos prior to my 40th to do a BC. My normal SL-APL hair had been worn back since graduating from college - mosltly due to my profession. It was male dominated, and no matter what we may like to think or say as women, men are distracted by women with moving hair. I purposely pulled it back to look more professional and have people take me seriously. By the time I had gained the experience and confidence to carry off my position, my hair style had become habitual. After getting married, I only wore it out for hubby :perplexed. Then I became a mom and my bun and pin-ups had became staples. When my second son was born, I had it cut into a pixie (HB style). I did not even think about letting it grow out again. But when I mentioned to hubby that I wanted to cut it completely off for 40, the look he gave me was priceless. You would have thought I told him no coloring for a year. Anyway, I decided to let it grow back to SL length, but now that I have found LHCF, I would like to see how long it can grow. :yep: And sometimes, I am actually excited by the prospect.

Last edited:
THey also tell young women to cut their hair shorter to be taken more seriously and look older and more mature, so they can't have it both ways.
Actually they called it "fashion" but that's not the real reason, Frederic Fekkai confessed it on some show he said the real reason why that "rule" came about is b/c women weren't taking care of their hair and by the time all the bad hair-care, coloring, perming and heat styling caught up with you you'd be 50-ish. Now he also said if you have healthy hair and you've always had long hair and it suits you keep it long. So it's really not about age it's about healthy hair. I've noticed the opposite everyone who's teen/college or just new grad is cutting their hair shorter.

Now the reason the OP sees this trend among the 30-something set is b/c it's also drilled into our heads by yt-american culture to cut your hair when you have a baby, cause you won't have time to take care of it. Well obviously someone forgot to tell Indians cause unlike Jane and her 1 daughter Becky, Fatima has like 4-5 kids and still keeps her tailbone length hair thick, moist, and slammin, so there's another urban myth busted.
A little off topic: I've noticed that cultures that encourage women to keep longer length below shoulder and beyond, and encourage feminine styles have less percentage of divorce, I don't think it's just the hair, but I think it's everything that goes with the hair, some women lose their femininity when they cut their hair short, they start dressing frumpy, not taking care of their bodies, not exercising, and just letting themselves go and let's face it men are visual and hard wired to look for signs of health and beauty, so that can't be the way to keep your man. They don't expect you to look 19 forever but they do expect you to look like a woman. look good, and still be feminine. JMO

I remember about 4-5 yrs ago, a lhcf member posted that she read a study that stated the other woman will most likely have longer hair than the wife(I can't recall if she stated a percentage). I always remembered that and when I hear of a famous man cheating I always look for photos of the other woman and sure enough her hair is longer and she is usually smaller.

With the exception of Indians (India) most people I see (non Black and Black) have hair between shoulder and APL. I consider that to be a medium length.

I remember about 4-5 yrs ago, a lhcf member posted that she read a study that stated the other woman will most likely have longer hair than the wife(I can't recall if she stated a percentage). I always remembered that and when I hear of a famous man cheating I always look for photos of the other woman and sure enough her hair is longer and she is usually smaller.

I'm sure the "other woman" is usually younger than the wife as well.

it's also drilled into our heads by yt-american culture to cut your hair when you have a baby, cause you won't have time to take care of it. Well obviously someone forgot to tell Indians cause unlike Jane and her 1 daughter Becky, Fatima has like 4-5 kids and still keeps her tailbone length hair thick, moist, and slammin, so there's another urban myth busted.

i know thats right! i'm not cuttin my ish into a mom cut. if anything those kids would be in protective styles just like back in the day, so i could keep my hair too!

the rest of your post is on point too.

One thing troubling to me, professions that suggest you cut...????? I'm all for education and professional development...but how many are so involved with their professions that they lose their personal lives? If someone won't take you seriously, then up your game and be uber qualified and professional...donning long hair. Somehow, we've got to break the cycle of this sexism. It's not the hair...it's the men.

Don't men have the same issue? We don't take them seriously if they have long hair...

What is so professional about being bald is what I wanna know... :lol:

On some women, tons of hair just ages them. Some of the most fierce over 40 women that I know have the baddest short cropped hairdos. Having long hair, especially when it's unstyled just looks boring and common.

I do notice that as some women age, they chop their hair off.

ITA! Halle Berry is a great example to me of a woman that looks better with a short do. And that's not saying that she looked terrible with longer hair, she just looks younger and better now. :yep:

I've always noticed that 40+ women tend to wear their hair SL or shorter. I've noticed a lot of 30+ women doing that also.

I agree with previous posters who said that shorter hair can make you look older. When I see women age 30+ or especially women age 40+ with long hair (at least APL) I think it makes them look more youthful.

I have the same thoughts that a previous poster mentioned about white women maybe being tired of having long hair though childhood, teens, and twenties, and maybe that's one reason why they cut it. They might sort of take long hair for granted, and they know it will grow back pretty easily if they cut it.

I also agree about women in this society feeling like they have to cut their hair to be taken seriously at work or to have a successful career. I think that people in different countries have different views of hair. I remember reading about women in France not feeling like they had to appear less feminine at work.

Don't men have the same issue? We don't take them seriously if they have long hair...

What is so professional about being bald is what I wanna know... :lol:
I think for women it's more about grooming and style. You don't have to crop your hair just so you can be seen as a mini-man and "get respect" form other men I mean everyone still sees your a woman right. IMO you can be sexy, feminine, stylish, classy and still get respect in the workforce-it's an AMerican concept that you can't be both sexy and smart. I think for men that's fading too, if you're well groomed and don't look dirty and homeless that's enough, the cookie cutter biz look is tired and it doesn't make anyone give you deals, it's your skills.

I read that in wars esp WW1 they used to cut off womens long hair to break their spirit, esp the Roman used to cur the hair off theier enemies, like the Gauls etc... for the same reason to break their spirit.

Last edited:
Wow!! I had not been back on this site all day and was pleasantly surprised to see all the responses on this thread. Thanks ladies for taking your time to share your thoughts and observations.

I love long hair on women any age, so it just does not make sense to me that so many women choose to cut their hair as they get older. I remember I succumbed to the myth that having kids takes too much time and that it is impractical to have long hair. I cut my hair to SL when D#1 was 3 months old. This time around, I knew better than that. I have seen pictures of my "mommy" friends from back in the day, and they ALL had long hair. Now that they have kids, they've cut their hair off. Personally, I think having long hair makes a woman look more youthful, but that's just me. My mom is in her 60's and wears her hair between BSL and APL, and looks a million times younger than some of her friends in the same age group...

I have definitely noticed it:ohwell:, and I’ve been self-conscious because of it.

I always said if my hair didn’t “act right” by the time I turn 30 I would cut it off really short, and I meant really short because my hair had always been SL, so I was thinking about Rihanna style……lol, but I never did :perplexed. Now that my hair is behaving and it’s where I always wanted, I don’t see myself cutting it anytime soon, maybe when I turn 40….:look:.

I am one of those women who wears there hair long (BSL). I look a lot older with short hair. I am 40+.

When I see a woman of any race with hair that's about MBL - WL, it's such a rarity that it catches me off guard. Likewise, if I see a black or biracial woman with really big natural hair (afro-textured/3c - type 4), I'm just in awe. It's not common at all.

Anyway, it seems that many non-black women I see on a daily basis of any age are usually full SL or APL. Older women typically tend to stick with full NL - full SL hair. It seems they find a length that they like and stick to that instead of actively growing the hair out. Now and again, I see some BSLs (on women of any age) but not as often as the aforementioned lengths.

That's my experience as well. I don't see very many people, young or old, black or white with BSL, MBL, WL hair very often. :look:

Back