Wish I Hadn't Done It

kenkaikim

I was trying for a texturizer but I don't know what I ended up with. I WAS natural with three months worth of growth and I was curious to see what my hair would look like texturized using a relaxer instead of an actual product labeled texturizer. I used a mild relaxer, combed it through the hair twice and left it on for all of 5 minutes and when I went to rinse my hair, it felt STRAIGHT! Now that it has dried, my hair looks almost exactly as it did before I texturized, only not really. I can't explain it. I have actually used a S-Curl texturizer years ago when I was natural and from what I can remember, my hair came out curly, almost looked like a jheri curl. I didn't want that either though. I am really mad at myself right now! I liked my natural hair, it was soft and manageable. It was very low maintenance and very healthy. I only needed to use two products a day, sometimes every other day. I'm sorry, I'm rambling.

I guess my question is, did I do something wrong? Was I not supposed to comb it through the hair. Is there anyway that I can straighten out the mess that I have made? Please help me!!

Can you explain how your hair looks now, since you said it felt straight when wet, but now dry it looks like your natural hair but not totally. Sounds like you did texturize it a lot of people's texturizer looks very similar to their natural hair with less bulk and or frizz.

I am by no means a texturizer expert, as I have never had one. But, to me, it sounds as though you have under processed your hair.
The only way to straighten the mess out, IMO, is to let you hair grow out for 3 months- that way you'll be back where you started.

qtgirl said:
Can you explain how your hair looks now, since you said it felt straight when wet, but now dry it looks like your natural hair but not totally. Sounds like you did texturize it a lot of people's texturizer looks very similar to their natural hair with less bulk and or frizz.

QTgirl, I think you're right. The more I examine my hair, I can tell that the curl pattern has loosened slightly, but I guess I was expecting something other than what I got. Maybe it felt straight to me because I had gotten used to the bulk of my natural hair and to feel it after the texturizer, it felt different. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations. My natural hair is 4a and fine textured. So maybe my results are what they should be for my hair type. Thanks for your reply!

If I waited a while and tried again would that loosen up the curl pattern even more. Or would I just end up with overprocessed hair?

K, your hair is texturized. You would have gotten different results if you didn't comb your hair. Thought I don't know if it would have been what you wanted. It's hard to asess what your hair will look like until it grows out more.

OMG, kenkaikim, you did the almost exact thing I did with my hair back in June...except, mines dried a lot straighter than a texturizer would. I do think the back turned out nicely (nice big loose curls), however, the front isn't far from looking relaxed. I still have some waves, but, for the most part it's nothing what I had hoped. I too used a mild relaxer, I didn't comb mine through, just left it on about 5 mins, but it turned out so straight at first I almost cried. However, when it dried, it "poofed" back up and I could tell it still had a lot of it's natural texture. Right now, I'm so mad at myself that I only keep it pulled back with a ponytail on it. I did curl it last weekend for an event at church and I got sooooo many nice compliments about the growth and thickness, but it's still not what I was aiming for.

If you figure something out to make it look more like loose curls all over, please PM me and give me your regimen. :)

Oh, one other thing, I did try to put a few big braids in the top and on the sides then rolled the ends, that helped it look a little better.

Last edited:
Those texturizers are just gonna loosen what you already have. Your hair may be straight just because that was the next step for your specific hair. Well... at least now you wont be like, "what if, what if..." like you may have been if you never tried it. Okay so it came out differently than you were expecting. Now you know for sure at least and can get back normal. Good luck with your transition :). -- jainygirl

You are right Jainygirl, if I didn't do the texturizer, I would have always wondered and now I know. My curiosity with every hair color under the sun is the reason that I became natural in the first place. The constant coloring caused irreversible damage to my hair and I had to shave it all off.

My mother saw my hair today and she didn't even notice that I had a texturizer. It basically looks the same as before, but it is WAY softer and DRY! I prefer my natural hair! At least I only had about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of hair, so I can easily start over.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

cybra said:
OMG, kenkaikim, you did the almost exact thing I did with my hair back in June...except, mines dried a lot straighter than a texturizer would. I do think the back turned out nicely (nice big loose curls), however, the front isn't far from looking relaxed. I still have some waves, but, for the most part it's nothing what I had hoped. I too used a mild relaxer, I didn't comb mine through, just left it on about 5 mins, but it turned out so straight at first I almost cried. However, when it dried, it "poofed" back up and I could tell it still had a lot of it's natural texture. Right now, I'm so mad at myself that I only keep it pulled back with a ponytail on it. I did curl it last weekend for an event at church and I got sooooo many nice compliments about the growth and thickness, but it's still not what I was aiming for.

If you figure something out to make it look more like loose curls all over, please PM me and give me your regimen. :)

Oh, one other thing, I did try to put a few big braids in the top and on the sides then rolled the ends, that helped it look a little better.

Cybra, I think your hair is pretty. :) Sorry for the late post....

Back