Wigs -a few questions from a novice

natstar

So I want to buy a good wig out there to change up my look when I feel like it. I'm natural and sometimes I want to go straight and get length w/out doing the work. Does anyone from Chicago know of any good wig places (besides BSS) that cater to african americans? Or is there a huge beauty supply place in Chicago where they have a wide variety of wigs? One more thing- who has worn wigs and which ones do you reccommend since I am new at this. Thanks ;)

Hey Nat,
Unfortunately, I do not have any Chicago info. I'm a novice trying to learn also. I'm natural also, and have chosen wigs as my protective style. So it's been a little over a month since I've been wearing them, so I'll just share what I've learned/done so far: All my purchases have been from BSS. I started out with synthetics (approx $30 each) just to make sure I actually liked wigs and cuz I couldn't find long human wigs. My first one was a "quick/instant" weave. I would totally recc this above any other wig as they look the most natural, and at most look like a weave - you just leave a tiny bit of hair out. Unfortunately, I can't wear them as my natural (pressed) hair reverts too easily in the summer heat. Then I went to full synthetic wigs (see my album) so far I'm happy with the Chade and Soul Tress/Pazazz line, but with synthetics I did not find a big difference in brands, just styles.
Now I'm ready to upgrade to human hair wigs. I have not seen any styles that I like at BSS's, as I want length and they seem to carry few/no styles longer than shoulder length! So I have been looking online and found some cool styles on eBay, after doing some research I've figured out that the popular/cute eBay brands are Zury and Motown Tresses, which are found at most BSS. I've felt the hair and it's nice and natural feeling. I don't know what brands are "better" than others in the under $150 range.
My tips are:
- Wigs always look better on in the store
- No matter what kind of wig you buy, you must take it to get styled/thinned at a HD or style/thin it yourself.
- To degloss/dull the shine of a synthetic wig lightly dust it with baby powder or lightly spray it with diluted fabric softner and let dry overnight.
- when buying synthetic always go up 1 shade than you normally do (ex. if you're a 1B, get a 2)
- Depending on style try to get a monofilament top (usually cheaper on internet/ebay, than anywhere else)
Artificial Scalp Tops - Some wigs have artificial scalp tops to create a more natural look, and to allow more styling versatility. Hair on the artificial scalp comes out vertically, the same as natural hair growth, so the hair can be easily parted anywhere without seeing any of the cap material underneath. Artificial scalps come in a variety of types and sizes.
Monofilament Top - The best simulation of natural scalp hair growth. Fine groups of 2 to 4 hair fibers are hand tied on to a fine see through mesh that allows both light and air to pass through. This allows the most comfortable and natural look.
I also found these FAQ's helpful:
http://www.belkwigs.com/faqs.htm#kinds
http://allaboutwigs.onthetop.com/allaboutwigsresults.asp/topic_BE+INFORMED,+BEFORE+YOU+BUY
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Hair/WigIntro.htm

Ok, that's all I can think of for now...Hope I've helped. Good luck!

Last edited:
Girl, I'm natural and I have a pretty good size wig section in my album, I don't live to far away from Chi town and I've gotten a few of my wigs from a place called Chicago Wigs in milwaukee.

I live in NY in the Bronx and I just bought a wig last night from a BSS (Beauty Town) and it is the Omega Part wig. It was 79.95 and it is bra strap if not longer. I got the synthetic because it looked so natural and i wanted a body wave that looked more mile a crimp. I love it. there is a part in top of the wig that you pull your hair though to blend with the wig. It looks so natural. Or you can wear the removable mono part, it looks like that lace front material and is very natural. It is thick and wiggish like most wigs I have tried on. I have a big head so wigs always look crazy on me but this was perfect. The website is www.moduwigs.com. Maybe you can order from them.

BBabe said:
......Now I'm ready to upgrade to human hair wigs. I have not seen any styles that I like at BSS's, as I want length and they seem to carry few/no styles longer than shoulder length! So I have been looking online and found some cool styles on eBay, after doing some research I've figured out that the popular/cute eBay brands are Zury and Motown Tresses, which are found at most BSS. I've felt the hair and it's nice and natural feeling. I don't know what brands are "better" than others in the under $150 range.....

I noticed that when I went to the BSS yesterday, I was looking for a human hair wig and all they had were shoulder length ones :mad: I want a long one so I can practice for when my real hair is BSL again you know ;) I agree w/ the skin top ones, I did buy a wig still but its synthetic but I think it's nice, the hair is silky and surprisingly not bulky. Once I finish taking my braids out I'll start wearing it and post a pic.

BLESSED1 said:
I noticed that when I went to the BSS yesterday, I was looking for a human hair wig and all they had were shoulder length ones :mad:
...its synthetic but I think it's nice, the hair is silky and surprisingly not bulky. Once I finish taking my braids out I'll start wearing it and post a pic.
I know I guess BSS don't think anyone is gonna buy a long human, it's been so frustrating. Like I said I found some cool brands on the net and am just waiting for them to arrive.
I like synthetics, but sometimes want some styling versitality that human can give. Pls be sure to post your wig photos - I'm always curious to see how a wig looks on and know the style/company name...

Back