Why we must go through trials and tribulations

webby

Think Slim
I speak to my mum every morning on my way to work. This morning we had a wonderful conversation about not just believing, but faith. Having faith in the Lord and knowing that He will deliver us, regardless.

In our conversation we talked about having to endure suffering and she said, "Well the bible says that we must endure suffering and pain." It then occured to me that if Jesus' the Man, himself suffered, who am I to think that my walk on earth should be easy?

Anyone have any thoughts on this, why we must go through trials and tribulations?

I do not know the answer to your question, but I will be the first one to say I don't like it one bit.

It seems as though I have had to suffer at other people's gain, and now I have forgiveness issues that I need to be delivered from.

Many of my trials are due to the things that other people have done to me
I often wonder why this was the hand I was dealt. :nono:

Koffie said:
I do not know the answer to your question, but I will be the first one to say I don't like it one bit.
Awww, Koffie - I hope I didn't upset you.

I wasn't upset at your question, I was upset at the fact that there are trials and tribulations that we must face.

I guess I should have worded my statement better.

You didn't upset me :Rose: :kiss:

Webby, it sounds like you and your Mom have conversations similar to the ones my Mom and I have. She sent me a copy of Our Daily Bread, a reader for March - May, 2005. Last Friday's reading, "Broken Things," I felt, answers your question*:

I am like a broken vessel. ~ Psalm 31:12

Few unbroken lives in this world are useful to God. Few men and women can fulfill their hopes and plans without some interruption and disappointment along the way.

But man's disappointments are often God's appointments, and the things we believe are tragedies may be the very opportunities through which God chooses to exhibit His love and grace. We have but to follow these lives to the end to see that people who have been broken become better and more effective Christians than if they had carried out all their own plans and purposes.

Are you, my friend, being broken today? Has the dearest thing in your life been torn away? Then remember that if you could see the purpose of it all from God's standpoint, you would praise the Lord.

The best things that come to us are not those that accrue from having our way, but by letting God have His way. Though the way of testing and trial and sorrow often seems hard and cruel, it is the way of God's love and in the end will be the best for us.

Remember, we have the Lord's promise: "No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly" (Psalm 84:11). - M.R. De Haan, M.D.

Then trust in God through all thy days;
Fear not, for He doth hold thy hand;
Though dark thy way, still sing and praise,
Sometime, sometime, we'll understand. - Cornelius

*It suggests that we read Psalm 31:9-24

Last edited:
I can't remember where this was written, but I think we're supposed to be happy when going through trials and tribulations b/c it is a test of our faith. It's hard but I can't imagine what kind of person I'd be today without the challenges I've had to face. They've made me wiser and stronger, but there are times where I just wonder why I had to go through them.

To make us stronger and for us to get to our destiny. Before any truimph there is ususally some kind of struggle. It is through these experiences we understand even the more on who God is what kind of power He really has. Whenever you see tragedy look for truimph miracle to follow. :)

I guess there is no one set answer, but for personally for everything that I've been through I wonder if it's to bring us closer to God and to 'test' our commitment to him if that makes sense. A lot of people go through trauma and shy away blaming God. As long as there is sin in the world, people will do us wrong and we will from time to time do them wrong also, it's how we deal with it in the eyes of the Lord.

I don't even know if that all made sense. :look:

Everthing being said is all well and good, but I will be the first one to admit it:

1. There are things that have happened in my life in which I wonder WHY:whyme:

2. I have had thoughts that question God. (i.e. If God wanted to protect me and love me so much, then why was I in that predicament in the first place.) :huh:

3. When I'm going through something that I feel is unfair, I want to cry and I don't always want to do things the "Christian Way"

I don't mean to sound so harsh, but I am just being real. And yes, God knows how I feel. I have even admitted some of these things to Him during my hours of darkness.

I also wanted to add, that I get tired of people telling me that what X did to me was done to make me stronger. :sleep8:

Well, does somebody need to wrong the person who sinned against me so they can get stronger?:huh:

Nyambura said:
Few unbroken lives in this world are useful to God. Few men and women can fulfill their hopes and plans without some interruption and disappointment along the way.
Nya - I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this book. That one line brought me to tears.

I went through a period in my life where I begged, I mean literally got down on my knees and BEGGED the Lord to take my life. I was so tired of being beat down after doing what I thought He wanted me to do. It made me furious to see others who did not seem to have any type of relationship with Him appear to be "successful" but He brought me out; He smiled on me and showed me His mercy.

My troubles may be nothing like yours, Koffie's or anyone else, but we all have a cross to bare and when while in the midst they get heaaavy!

I just understand why we must suffer. They say whatever does not kill you, will make you stronger. but some people are weak & the problems they are going though may push them away from the lord. for example my mom is a widow(has been for 13 years) she is lonely, she used to go to church all the time, but my church moved to a new location 3 years ago. she does not like to drive very far, so she does not go anymore. She said she would like to find one closer but has not done so. I tell her I will drive, but she does not like the way I drive. I just wonder why she has to be alone? what purpose does this serve? I try to get her to go to movies & walks in the park, but she does not feel like it. Last time we had a family get together(which I had to drag her to) she said something about not being around much longer. she is only 54.

Vet

webby said:
Nya - I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this book. That one line brought me to tears.

I went through a period in my life where I begged, I mean literally got down on my knees and BEGGED the Lord to take my life. I was so tired of being beat down after doing what I thought He wanted me to do. It made me furious to see others who did not seem to have any type of relationship with Him appear to be "successful" but He brought me out; He smiled on me and showed me His mercy.

My troubles may be nothing like yours, Koffie's or anyone else, but we all have a cross to bare and when while in the midst they get heaaavy!

I'm glad it reached you too.:) I've often felt moved myself reading the Daily Bread. It's published by RBC Ministries (Radio Bible Class Ministries), and it's a booklet of personal and family devotions.

Someone once mentioned that God never promised that our lives on this Earth would be happy. I agree with you: our troubles may be different but suffering is suffering! In my own life, I've been brought to my knees in fervent prayer when I thought the pain had become too much, as if I'd been to Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots, you know? But I do know He answered me and put me in a better place, and a few short years later, during an Easter vigil as I watched our priest baptize those who had accepted Christ into their lives, I thought of how far He had brought me, and I was so humbled and overwhelmed by His mercy, generosity, and grace, I wept. The turning point for me was to realizing that I had to stop making demands and telling God what I wanted and to listen instead for what He wanted for me...and He's led me down a path I would have never imagined, one step at a time. I can't front, I'm not like Job who never questioned God -I've done it many, many times- and I don't pretend to understand why things go down the way they do sometimes...e.g., why there's child abuse (physical/sexual/verbal) and other evils in the world, why this Earth seems like it's the Devil's office...but I do know this:

God may not come when I call Him but He's always right on time.

Last edited:
Nyambura said:
I'm glad it reached you too.:) I've often felt moved myself reading the Daily Bread. It's published by RBC Ministries (Radio Bible Class Ministries), and it's a booklet of personal and family devotions.

Someone once mentioned that God never promised that our lives on this Earth would be happy. I agree with you: our troubles may be different but suffering is suffering! In my own life, I've been brought to my knees in fervent prayer when I thought the pain had become too much, as if I'd been to Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots, you know? But I do know He answered me and put me in a better place, and a few short years later, during an Easter vigil as I watched our priest baptize those who had accepted Christ into their lives, I thought of how far He had brought me, and I was so humbled and overwhelmed by His mercy, generosity, and grace, I wept. The turning point for me was to realizing that I had to stop making demands and telling God what I wanted and to listen instead for what He wanted for me...and He's led me down a path I would have never imagined, one step at a time. I can't front, I'm not like Job who never questioned God -I've done it many, many times- and I don't pretend to understand why things go down the way they do sometimes...e.g., why there's child abuse (physical/sexual/verbal) and other evils in the world, why this Earth seems like it's the Devil's office...but I do know this:

God may not come when I call Him but He's always right on time.
Nya - I clung to every word. I needed to hear this.

Koffie, I'm not trying to diminish your frustration, but I have heard it said that sometimes we don't come to Jesus until we have really gone through some suffering. God puts obstacles in our lives, perhaps to make us choose. If we choose Him, despite the outcome, He knows we love Him.

webby said:
Nya - I clung to every word. I needed to hear this.

Koffie, I'm not trying to diminish your frustration, but I have heard it said that sometimes we don't come to Jesus until we have really gone through some suffering. God puts obstacles in our lives, perhaps to make us choose. If we choose Him, despite the outcome, He knows we love Him.

I got that, and I didn't start REALLY spending a whole lot of time with the LORD until these things came my way. No doubt, I chose GOD, but the feelings that I stated earlier are feelings that I had. Like I said, I was just being real with it.

Despite those feelings, I still prayed and came to Him, but there was hurt along the way. :yep:

I also wanted to politely add that if I were to tell you my story and the effect it had on me and my life, you would see better that I have Really gone through some things.

Koffie said:
I got that, and I didn't start REALLY spending a whole lot of time with the LORD until these things came my way. No doubt, I chose GOD, but the feelings that I stated earlier are feelings that I had. Like I said, I was just being real with it.

Despite those feelings, I still prayed and came to Him, but there was hurt along the way. :yep:
I understand :kiss:

I had those feelings too and wished my arms were long enough to box with Him at times. :)

Why must we go through trials and tribulations???

This question makes me think of my favorite verse and I think of this verse whenever I'm going through a particularly rough time in my life:

James 1:2-
2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

So I know that when I'm going through hard times God is right there with me building me up to be stronger and more mature..."not lacking anything". My hard times cause me to praise God!!! It's hard to find joy in tough times, but it's right there in that scripture, so that's what I try to do.....find joy in my suffering.

That scripture is just so beautiful and powerful to me. :rosebud:

JenJen2721 said:

This question makes me think of my favorite verse and I think of this verse whenever I'm going through a particularly rough time in my life:

2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

So I know that when I'm going through hard times God is right there with me building me up to be stronger and more mature..."not lacking anything". My hard times cause me to praise God!!! It's hard to find joy in tough times, but it's right there in that scripture, so that's what I try to do.....find joy in my suffering.

Wow, if there was any doubt...it's gone.

JenJen2721 said:

It was truly powerful. Thanks, Jen. :)

I was going to type the same scripture JenJen typed. We talked about this last Sunday in Sunday School. Here's what the Sunday School book says:

BIBLICAL BASIS FOR CHANGE

As we obey God's Word and rely on His strengthening power, we can count on biblical change to occur in every area of our life. Isaiah 40:29 says: "He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength."

Our hope as a believer is in the Lord. He causes all things in our life ( including problems and trials) to work together for good as we continually respond in love to Him. This love is demonstrated through OBEDIENCE.

Romans 8:28 says: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Also another scripture is Romans 5:3 says: And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

We have to endure trial to show that we have our full trust in God and his sacrifices through his son Christ Jesus. There are many Bible accounts where various characters endured through trials and tribulation some even in the face of being murdered never thrusted aside their full confidence in the promises of God. To mention a few King David, Meshach, Shadrach, and Abenego, Paul of Tarsarus, Abel, Noah, Stephen who was stoned by his own people for bearing witness about the Christ. And many many more. I encourage you to read you Bible to get the deeper meaning behind trials, suffering and being tried out. This will help us to see if we are really serving God with our whole heart, soul, and strength this is the first command. And that in the face of tribulation we won't disown him out of anxiety or want of heart. Sometimes we will have to prove faithful even to death, beatings, hunger, torture and much more.

Matthew 13:20-21
20 As for the one sown upon the rocky places, this is the one hearing the word and at once accepting it with joy. 21 Yet he has no root in himself but continues for a time, and after tribulation or persecution has arisen on account of the word he is at once stumbled.

John 15:20
20 Bear in mind the word I said to YOU, A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute YOU also; if they have observed my word, they will observe YOURS also.
2 Corinthians 6:3-10
3 In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling, that our ministry might not be found fault with; 4 but in every way we recommend ourselves as God’s ministers, by the endurance of much, by tribulations, by cases of need, by difficulties, 5 by beatings, by prisons, by disorders, by labors, by sleepless nights, by times without food, 6 by purity, by knowledge, by long-suffering, by kindness, by holy spirit, by love free from hypocrisy, 7 by truthful speech, by God’s power; through the weapons of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 through glory and dishonor, through bad report and good report; as deceivers and yet truthful, 9 as being unknown and yet being recognized, as dying and yet, look! we live, as disciplined and yet not delivered to death, 10 as sorrowing but ever rejoicing, as poor but making many rich, as having nothing and yet possessing all things​

I intend the following question with all due respect and an earnest desire to understand: For you ladies who have shown us the purpose for trials and tribulations based on the Bible (thank you), have you ever questioned God, asking Him why? have you ever felt overwhelmed or down, or do you actually celebrate pain that comes your way? If you do rejoice in suffering, how do you grieve? I'll be the first to admit that I am in no ways a Biblical scholar so perhaps my understanding of words like "rejoice" have only the most superficial definition. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Nyambura said:
I intend the following question with all due respect and an earnest desire to understand: For you ladies who have shown us the purpose for trials and tribulations based on the Bible (thank you), have you ever questioned God, asking Him why? have you ever felt overwhelmed or down, or do you actually celebrate pain that comes your way? If you do rejoice in suffering, how do you grieve? I'll be the first to admit that I am in no ways a Biblical scholar so perhaps my understanding of words like "rejoice" have only the most superficial definition. Thank you in advance for your responses.

I can only speak for myself, and I have to add that I typically shy away from the religious threads, not for lack of interest, but because I'm so challenged, with regards to quoting scripture.

At any rate, when I was going through my deepest pain yet, I was angry, mad at the Lord and constantly asked WHY? I could not pray, did not want to and felt that the Lord turned his back on me. My mother and family stood in the gap for me, prayed on my behalf.

Eventually, I saw His plan and realized that He never left, He just wanted me to grow and learn to lean on Him at all times.

Now, this is not to say that when things get rough, I don't sometimes wonder what the outcome will be, but I turn my focus on Him and remember how He delivered me then and have unwavering faith that He'll deliver me again.

Nyambura said:

That's a very good question, Nyambura, because it does seem strange that a person can have joy in the midst of a struggle....I think that's one thing that makes Christians a very special people.

It can be difficult, but when things get hard for me, I just close my eyes and I'll say thank you, Jesus over and over again, by the time I am finished, I am feeling the joy that comes from praising the Lord over and over again....and even though the situation is still there, I know that God is going to bring me through it so I can stop worrying about it and that's another opportunity for me to get excited about God working in my life.

As far as grieving...I think it's ok to grieve when there is a loss.

ETA: When I was in the hospital, I had a hard time rejoicing and finding the joy, but I kept James 1:2 in my heart and mind. I cried several times about my situation, but one night while I was laying there sleeping, God sent me a message through my dream that told me that he was taking care of everything and that he wasn't going to let me down and I literally woke up out of that dream praising him. It's like when you put in the effort, God helps you the rest of the way.

Last edited:
cece22 said:

Matthew 13:20-21
20 As for the one sown upon the rocky places, this is the one hearing the word and at once accepting it with joy. 21 Yet he has no root in himself but continues for a time, and after tribulation or persecution has arisen on account of the word he is at once stumbled.

John 15:20
20 Bear in mind the word I said to YOU, A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute YOU also; if they have observed my word, they will observe YOURS also.
2 Corinthians 6:3-10
3 In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling, that our ministry might not be found fault with; 4 but in every way we recommend ourselves as God’s ministers, by the endurance of much, by tribulations, by cases of need, by difficulties, 5 by beatings, by prisons, by disorders, by labors, by sleepless nights, by times without food, 6 by purity, by knowledge, by long-suffering, by kindness, by holy spirit, by love free from hypocrisy, 7 by truthful speech, by God’s power; through the weapons of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 through glory and dishonor, through bad report and good report; as deceivers and yet truthful, 9 as being unknown and yet being recognized, as dying and yet, look! we live, as disciplined and yet not delivered to death, 10 as sorrowing but ever rejoicing, as poor but making many rich, as having nothing and yet possessing all things​

Thank you Cece for posting those wonderful scriptures!

Nyambura said:

I know how u feel. Sometimes when you are going through a trial or a rough circumstance, the first question you want to ask God is why? I know that when I first came to grad school, I felt miserable, was terribly in fear of failing a class that had never been my strong suit, and I kept asking God why am I here? After sometime of moaning and grieving, I finally realized that I was asking the wrong question. The question I needed to ask is God, what is your will for me in this season? How can I best serve you? And you know what, my outlook on my situation change, which eventually changed the situation itself. Of course, I had the occasional setback but they occured less and less the more I prayed and seeked God. And you know I passed that class with a B+, and learned a valuable lesson. If I keep trusting God no matter the circumstance, he will supply every need.

webby said:
I can only speak for myself, and I have to add that I typically shy away from the religious threads, not for lack of interest, but because I'm so challenged, with regards to quoting scripture.

At any rate, when I was going through my deepest pain yet, I was angry, mad at the Lord and constantly asked WHY? I could not pray, did not want to and felt that the Lord turned his back on me. My mother and family stood in the gap for me, prayed on my behalf.

Eventually, I saw His plan and realized that He never left, He just wanted me to grow and learn to lean on Him at all times.

Now, this is not to say that when things get rough, I don't sometimes wonder what the outcome will be, but I turn my focus on Him and remember how He delivered me then and have unwavering faith that He'll deliver me again.

You're saying that tough experiences are about trust and faith, not about feeling elated that circumstances are causing you pain. Understood. ;) Makes sense. Thanks for your response, Webby.
ETA: Thank you, Webby, for starting this thread.

Last edited:
I believe the bible teaches that we will go through trials and we will face hardship from this world we live in not that God is going to make up abunch of obstacles for us. We will experience obstacles of our own creation also. When we are faced with what the sinful world deals to us we can become strong in our faith as we turn to God to get through them. Because we are weak and will need him to deal with what the world dishes out. Each time we turn to him for strength then our faith is strengthened. In Christ I can do all things. Paul said in my weakness I find strength.

It was never promised that we would avoid all difficulties. Its what we do when faced with them. They may never be over. For we are also told that all things shall be turned for the good of his purpose.

I was reading of some of the pursecuted christians under communism. The man said that when after being tortured to deny Christ which you did ,the only peace left in their life was the rest in Christ of his forgiveness. Then after that they were forced to torture others to make them deny Christ. At that point some committed suicide so not to be used. He said of those who remained only had the strength to trust in Christ that he and only he would see them through to what ever end was awaiting them. Despare was the enemy. The saving grace and forgiveness of His Lord and Savior was all he had left in the world.

It was not a peace of this world we were promised but" the peace of God which passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and mind through Christ Jesust."

Back