why is this even an issue?

Caramela

I am almost at waistlength... but... truth be told, my ends are a little fuzzy. It's nothing that I can't disguise with the right hair products but to cut about 2 inches would make my hair thick to the ends and really even... and eliminate all fuzzzzzzzz (I'm thinking about a nice blunt cut, maybe U shaped) I know it would look better but it's going to take me to 'just below brastrap' and I'm having a hard time accepting that. I don't know why this is even an issue.
Part of me wants to wait about six months, I should have accumulated atleast 3 inches by then and if I were to cut the same 2 inches, my hair would be longer and sacraficing the inches wouldn't be such a big deal (hopefully)...
But another part of me wants to just cut them now.
Suggestions?

Can you just trim a little bit at a time? That's what my hairdresser did when I didn't want to cut my hair but she needed to cut off some damaged ends.

IMO, I say that you take care of your ends religiously-- MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE. Start growing out your hair some more and if the ends still bother you or look worse after a few months, then chop those babies off! :D lol. No sense in having raggedy thin waist length hair. lol.

Caramela said:
I am almost at waistlength... but... truth be told, my ends are a little fuzzy. It's nothing that I can't disguise with the right hair products but to cut about 2 inches would make my hair thick to the ends and really even... and eliminate all fuzzzzzzzz (I'm thinking about a nice blunt cut, maybe U shaped) I know it would look better but it's going to take me to 'just below brastrap' and I'm having a hard time accepting that. I don't know why this is even an issue.
Part of me wants to wait about six months, I should have accumulated atleast 3 inches by then and if I were to cut the same 2 inches, my hair would be longer and sacraficing the inches wouldn't be such a big deal (hopefully)...
But another part of me wants to just cut them now.
Suggestions?

hey caramela,, if you look at my hair album, you would know i would just chop them off.... LOL....

but if you do not want to lose the length right away, just trim a little off ( 1/4" or less) each month... this way you will not lose too much length at one time......

Sometimes fuzzy ends may just mean that you need Moisture, if there super thin than I guess you can gradually cut them away. But if not and your willing to try and save them you need to start moisturizing those ends big time, morning, noon and night. I used Elasta QP mango butter on my ends about 1/2 in. or less was frizzy when I first came to LHCF from laziness w/my taking care of my hair, but anyway that helped alot, but when I started using Nexxus products my ends were nolonger thirsty and would airdry straight. So maybe some extra TLC or moisturizing products can help you out.

I would just chop them. I was going through this (but by no means with waist length hair) and I was worrying about it all the time. Finally, I just chopped my 1-2" of frizzy ends... and I was happy! And it grew back in no time.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Sometimes fuzzy ends may just mean that you need Moisture, if there super thin than I guess you can gradually cut them away. But if not and your willing to try and save them you need to start moisturizing those ends big time, morning, noon and night. I used Elasta QP mango butter on my ends about 1/2 in. or less was frizzy when I first came to LHCF from laziness w/my taking care of my hair, but anyway that helped alot, but when I started using Nexxus products my ends were nolonger thirsty and would airdry straight. So maybe some extra TLC or moisturizing products can help you out.

OT: Is that what it means when your ends don't dry straight, that they are dry and need moisture?

I know its hard, but I'd trim them too. I would just feel kinda fake holding on to ends I can see through. Waistlength or shoulderlength-- thin, uneven ends aren't cute at any length.:ohwell:

Just cut a bit each month until you get what you want. Your hair will be growing as you cut, so it won't seem as bad. :D

I've thought long and hard about this and what I've decided is NOT TO CUT. My hair isn't straggly by any means on the ends, but it does naturally thin on the ends... meaning, it looks on the ends as if I'd grown out layers.
If I put a moisturizer and an oil on the ends, they will lay and aren't fuzzy but initially when I dry it, they're just fuzzy wuzzy :lol:
Anyway, I did a good dusting of the last 3 inches of my hair and it feels much smoother. I may eventually cut a few inches later in the year, but as for right now, I'm going to keep them around :)

Me? I probably would cut, only b/c I am past BSL. I've been taking off bits and pieces currently, but I am not worried about it much. I wouldnt cut till I reached my goals though.

I know that's what it meant for my hair. I was going to cut them off but I knew I just did a trim not to long ago, and after looking at Babygurl's fotki and a few others who didn't trim and just moisturized their ends I thought why not try extra moisture big time. I was doing well to but it sealed the deal when I started using my staple poo. :D
blackbarbie said:
OT: Is that what it means when your ends don't dry straight, that they are dry and need moisture?

brownsugar9999 said:
CHOP THOSE PUPPIES!!!!!!!!

I agree w/brownsugar9999, but you must be comfortable. I know from my own experience that by cutting little by little was not the answer. Now that I just finally decided to cut the whole 1-1/2 inches last month, I already have one inch back. At first I hated it! I know that everyone is different, but I battled bad ends for months because I did not want to cut. Now I'm a fan of a good trim because not only does it look better, but the ends won't continue to split all the way up and weaken my hair.
HTH...good luck to you.
~HP~

No gurl...do not cut it! Just leave it as it is. If your ends are not straggly/raggedy then it is okay that the ends naturally thin out. especially since u are at waistlength. i mean come on...i don't expect your whole lenght to be as thick and full as the top. Just apply extra oil to them daily...that always straights my ends out. I am lightly dusting 1/4maybe every 2-3months, until i reach bsl. People think that 2inches is not a big deal...but if i were to trim 2inches...then it'd take at least 5months to grow it back...PLUS i'd probably have to do a dusting in-between so it'd take about 7months. NO WAY, i'm losing that much progress... That's how i got stuck with being shoulderlength for 5years in the first place.... ya heard!

Mizani_Mrs said:
No gurl...do not cut it! Just leave it as it is. If your ends are not straggly/raggedy then it is okay that the ends naturally thin out. especially since u are at waistlength. i mean come on...i don't expect your whole lenght to be as thick and full as the top. Just apply extra oil to them daily...that always straights my ends out. I am lightly dusting 1/4maybe every 2-3months, until i reach bsl. People think that 2inches is not a big deal...but if i were to trim 2inches...then it'd take at least 5months to grow it back...PLUS i'd probably have to do a dusting in-between so it'd take about 7months. NO WAY, i'm losing that much progress... That's how i got stuck with being shoulderlength for 5years in the first place.... ya heard!

FORREAL! IDC bout ugly ends..lol esp when I have long beautiful hair to take your eyes off them ends.. I babied my ends and I havent had to do a BIG cut yet.

Back