Why, How and When to Use Coconut Oil?

Travis Girl

I've seen several people with coconut oil listed in their product list and I wonder why, how, and when do you use it? Yesterday a healthy and beauty store clerk told me it was very good for your hair and it's growth, but I thought I'd come back here to verify with the ladies that use it. She even said you can apply it topically and take it internally. I tried to do a thread search and for some reason that feature wouldn't work for me.

I've seen several people with coconut oil listed in their product list and I wonder why, how, and when do you use it? Yesterday a healthy and beauty store clerk told me it was very good for your hair and it's growth, but I thought I'd come back here to verify with the ladies that use it. She even said you can apply it topically and take it internally. I tried to do a thread search and for some reason that feature wouldn't work for me.

:wave: I use coconut oil as my daily moisturizer. Im not going to lie, the main reason I like it is because of the smell! :lol: I havent read anything on here about it making your hair grow, I believe it assist in hair growth because of its moisturizing ability. HTH

Thanks for the reply SouthernJewel! Does it come in a liquid form or like a "solid?" The jar of coconut oil I saw was sealed and not see through. Is also it light? Sorry for the 3rd dergree of questions, but I appreciate it!

I use coconut oil for prepoos. So my hair does not feel stripped when I use shampoo.

I also use it to seal in moisture before rollersetting. I just use coconut oil, no setting lotion, nothing else. And it comes out great.

Thanks for the reply SouthernJewel! Does it come in a liquid form or like a "solid?" The jar of coconut oil I saw was sealed and not see through. Is also it light? Sorry for the 3rd dergree of questions, but I appreciate it!

It does solidify at certain temperatures, but its easily meltable. If you rub it in the palm of your hands it liquifies. Or you can heat up the jar and it liquifies.

Why: For me it leaves my hair feeling soft and makes my hair look good, not greasy.

How: Most coconut oil has a melting temp of 76 degrees. When it is liquid I pour into small plastic bottles. From there I use it like any other oil on my hair and ends. It does have the ability to penetrate the hair and skin which is an advantageous property for my dry hair and skin.

When: I use it every day.

I used to use it to seal my hair but it dosen't do that well for me.

I use it in my deep conditioners and I get more out of it then.

-A

Thanks Ladies, for sharing your knowledge! This was interesting. Now I have some options for using coconut oil when I need a change. It does smell great and tropical...how can you not be happy when you smell it???!!! :grin:

to the OP, i love your cut/layers, ur hair hangs so nicely and the shine:blush:, but umm yea i add coconut oils to conditioners:yep:

to the OP, i love your cut/layers, ur hair hangs so nicely and the shine:blush:, but umm yea i add coconut oils to conditioners:yep:

Thanks Kurlee!:wavey: Before my cut grew out to what you see now, this was my inspiration http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/jenniferaniston/rachel.html. My hairdresser did it with a straight razor and I think she also did vertical cuts to remove the bulk and get it to blend in nicely. I loved it---the style helped me get out of the constant ponytail phase which was breaking my hair.

How much oil are you (or anyone else) adding? Is it like 1 part oil to say 3 parts conditioner or just drops?

Back