Why Does Pantene have such a BAD RAP?

CORBINS

I don't know if anyone has already posted about this but I have to let everyone know that I love Pantene CONDITIONERS and will never turn my back on them again.

Since reading all of the negative information on the web about Pantene Conditioners and how they are drying to your hair, I decided to stop using Pantene all together. After that, it became an uphill battle to find something that worked for MY HAIR. Well, after buying and buying many cheap and expensive products, and every one of them left my hair dry after I airdried my hair, I finally went back to their conditioners. I'm not too fond of their shampoos because they contain large amounts of SLS and when I used the shampoos, my hair is dry.

My routine has been pretty simple:

~Wash once or twice per week with Castile Soap, or Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo by ORS.
~Deep condition weekly with Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstructor.
~Condition with Hydrating Curls or Daily Moisture Renewal. I let my hair dry into a shrunken fro and wear a puff the next day.
~I Condition wash in the evening on the next day with R&N Deep Conditioning Mask with hair parted into 6 sections and each section is twisted. Put on a plastic cap and let sit for 1 hour.
~Rinse, slather on some Pantene Daily Oil Moisturizer, twist back up in 6 sections with banded ends.
The next morning I have SUPER SOFT hair.

I've been doing this for the last 3 weeks and my hair is getting better and better everyday. My hair used to be sooooo dry the next day after washing or conditioner washing it was driving me crazy! My hair also tangles less and breaks less.

I used to have to put globs of oil and moisturizer in my hair in order to keep it from being too dry the next day. I got tired of this because I love to wear puffs and I hate when they look too oily and untouchable. Now I have no need to put excessive amounts of stuff in my hair in order for it to look nice.

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone. Thanks for reading.

I like Pantene conditioners too. I think people are just trying to find out how to better take care of their hair and basically using a trial and error system until they find the right products/techniques etc to use.

I don't use pantene because it makes my hair so crunchy. Could be the mineral oil content. Olive oil can do that to my hair too.

My hair is just weird because I can't use Aveda either:perplexed (don't even know why)

-A

Re: Why Does Pantene have such a BAD REP?

I don't know why Pantene has a bad rep. My hair is soft when I use their conditioners, and I love their leave-in spray conditioner!

I'm deeply fond of Pantene conditioners. I use the Hydrating/Moisturizing conditioner and masks that they have, adding some olive oil makes it better. I even use the conditioner as a leave-in. It works just wonderful on my hair. :)

Hi there,

I think they got a bad rap because they used to contain wax to make your hair shine. A lot of people were getting a coating that eventually made their hair break. Maybe they have changed their formulas over the years.

I will say that their Relaxed and Natural line was a bunch of trash, but that could just be me.

I use their clarifying shampoo and I love it.

I don't know, a couple of beauticians that I know said that their products were bad for African American hair. One stylist in particular told me that those products cause a lot of buildup and they simply coat the hair instead of penetrating it; which of course over time cause the hair to dry out and break.

Hmmm well they work wonders for detangling my hair but I never used them too deep condition. I find that all of the products have the same ingredients and arent really formulated like they say they are. Hydating curls, Ice Shine, and Smooth and Sleek all have the same ingredients.

Adrian said:
I don't know, a couple of beauticians that I know said that their products were bad for African American hair. One stylist in particular told me that those products cause a lot of buildup and they simply coat the hair instead of penetrating it; which of course over time cause the hair to dry out and break.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I started out loving Smooth and Sleek, but after repeated use my strands started feeling thinner, skinnier. And my hair felt dry. I had to add clarifying to my regimen.

Right now im in the process of looking for natural shampoos and conditioners...but up until this point for the last few yrs ive used pantene. i love both their conditioners and shampoos. They've always left my hair very soft!

So i was kinda wondering that same thing.

I think that the relaxed and natural conditioning mask is excellent on my natural hair, but I'm going to stick with my elucence shampoo and my nacadit rinses still. I will use the mask more often for dc though...that was the best dc I ever had!

I always wonder this too. When Pantene first came out (I think in the 1940s), it was considered a luxury brand and only sold in upscale departments stores in Europe. So it's ironic that people now say it's one of the worse brands ever.

I like Pantene, especially the conditioners and leave-ins. I do think some "lines" should be banned from hair shelves (Classic Care should be labeled Classic Crap), but I think it's just a matter of finding which one works for your hair.

I like Pantene conditioner too! Gives me great slip; I use it as my final rinse. I stopped using it for a while, but recently started back... so far no problems. I just make sure I clariy often.

I've used Pantene in the past. I'll say that Pantene conditioners are good detanglers and make the hair feel good, but ultimately they don't really do anything to actually improve the hair.

As others said, they do cause build up and cause dryness in the hair.

Pantene changed once Proctor and Gamble took over the line and started to mass market the lines in grocery and drug stores.

Pantene stuff has too many cones for me sometimes. But, some of their treatment conditioners have no cones at all so I stick with those if I can find them. Most stores don't carry those.

But, for the most part, I like Pantene. They just need to push up off the 'cones a bit.

I used pantene for years (pre-forum) and my hair was healthier than it is now. Of course I'm sure that there were several other factors that came into play. I just kept in simple back then--pantene shampoo and conditioner with some occasional cholesterol.

winterinatl said:
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I started out loving Smooth and Sleek, but after repeated use my strands started feeling thinner, skinnier. And my hair felt dry. I had to add clarifying to my regimen.

This is what happened to my hair. The shampoo that was for relaxed hair in the brown bottle, left my hair brittle and dry :eek: and it started to break.

Thank God I found this board!!! :)

I used Pantene products for years and when I started using their line for AA hair I started having the worst dandruff ever. It was terrible. I had to stop using all their products. I thought maybe I was just prone to dandruff but after I stopped using their products (any of them) I only ever rarely have dandruff.

Pantene products were my staples 4 years ago. Until their 3 minute treatment stopped working and my hair started breaking. I ran to the internet and found the hair boards. Their products build up over time and they are drying. They just have a bunch of useless ingredients

The thing with Pantene is they have a basic formula that they repackage over and over again, and slap on that it's for curly hair, dry hair, straight hair etc. Also the thing that was really disturbing to me is the relaxed & natural shampoo contains petroleum high on the list! :eek:

All in all, I don't think the line is all that bad, they could just scale the line down a little, as it is a bit repetitive.

I used the pantene line for relaxed hair (shampoo and conditioner) when it first came out and I did notice that my hair wasn't very moisturised after using it. When the bottles ran out, I went back to my Creme of Nature and I haven't looked back. But judging from the responses there are some women that have it in their rotation and it works for them.

Ive tried the pantene for relaxed hair before and the shampoo made my hair feel moisturized at first then weeks later it felt dry as hell. My hair started breaking off too. Once I stopped using it my hair went back to normal.
I think its because pantene has a bunch of mineral oil and petroleum in it

RosesBlack said:
I used Pantene products for years and when I started using their line for AA hair I started having the worst dandruff ever. It was terrible. I had to stop using all their products. I thought maybe I was just prone to dandruff but after I stopped using their products (any of them) I only ever rarely have dandruff.

I had bad dandruff too!:perplexed

I tried the Smooth n Slick Extra Liso after hearing about the raves on this board months ago. At first I hated it because it left a terrible buildup on my hair but now I love it for air drying. What I do now is only use a very small amount for smooth and soft airdried hair.

I LOVE PANTENE!!!!

I have used it since the mid 90s (high school), and I probably always will. I do agree that they just repackage the same products. That's why I buy whichever is on sale.:p It's basically just the same anyway.
I do use another cheap shampoo to clean my hair first (like suave or V05), but then I use the Pantene shampo and conditioners. I usually comb my hair out while the conditioner is still on it. (That WORKS for natural hair!!!!) Then I wash it out and condition it again. I have tried other more high-end products from time to time, but I always go back to Pantene shampoos and conditioners. It works for me!

WesternEyes said:
I'm deeply fond of Pantene conditioners. I use the Hydrating/Moisturizing conditioner and masks that they have, adding some olive oil makes it better. I even use the conditioner as a leave-in. It works just wonderful on my hair. :)

Ditto...I actually stopped using pantene because it kept getting a bad rap. But I am going back.

winterinatl said:

I agree, although I don't use pantene... I still use a clarifying poo when necessary b/c I still get buildup from any hair product that I apply over a period of a few days...I can tell when my strands need clarifying b/c moisture isn't retained in my hair long. I clarify often so the cones that I love in my rinse out conditioners won't stay built up on my hair strands.

I used to loooove Pantene products!!! Panene Moisture Renewal Conditioner/Treatment used to be my staple product last year before I joined this board. It gave my hair so much slip, softness and shine. But I noticed too that the ingredients were the same on every single product, and that they have so many chemicals that I figured it would be more damaging to my hair in the long run. So now, I have found other conditioners/treatments that peform just as good as Pantene, but without all the harsh chemicals.

Adrian said:

EXACTLY....thats basically what my stylist told me. i couldnt understand why my hair was soooooo horrible!! it was breaking and dry. she asked me what i was using(i didnt go to her regularly) and i told her pantene. she said someone else was having problems with her hair and didnt know why and it turned out she was using pantene. she told me to throw it away!! my hair was:mad: now my hair is :):):)

Last edited:
Back