Why does our hai seem to get damaged by EVERYTHING???

Saga

The Generous Queen
So, yesterday I was web surfing as I usually do, and decided to visit Curly Nikki. For all those who frequent her site, there was an article on pre-pooing and why it's beneficial. I read through the article, and it mentions something called hydral fatigue. I'd heard this term before, but until yesterday I never payed it any mind. It talked about how the constant swelling and contraction of the hair due to water can lead to it being damaged, and the best way to prevent it was by pre-pooing with oils.

Are you flippin' serious? Out of all the things that damage our hair, WATER? I'm not talking about Hard Water vs Soft Water, that much I understand, but why does it seem like every little thing damages our hair? The air, the sun, the water, temperatures, humidity, pH, hair products, heat styling, combs, brushes, headbands, pillowcases, clothing-it never ends. Next thing you know just looking at someone's hair will cause it to become damaged and break off.

*sigh* I just wanted to rant a bit, glad I got that outta my system. *drops mic, hops off soap box, and walks away*

Lol funny but not.....I think your hair is never safe, something is always out to get it.

You deserve that rant. I definitely feel you. My hair seems to be in better condition off my head than on it. :ohwell:

Wow, I was jut thinking about making a thread to rant about hair but you went and did it for me! Thanks!

Totally feel your frustration. Feels like there's no end on sight to things that are BAD for our hair. Evvvveeerryyyytthhhhiinnngg causes breakage. Lol

This is one reason why I stop researching about hair.. like the saying ignorance is bliss and that knowledge is power... in the case of growing hair knowledge doesn't necessarily equal power sometimes it just drives me crazy thinking of the millions of reason why that strand broke.

I understand your frustration. It seems like everything bad for our hair. But..

I don't think there's such thing as hydral fatigue. Most other races of women wet their hair daily to every other day without any problems. If that were true all the white, asian, and hispanic girls I know would have damaged hair. I think 3b-4b is just delicate and prone to breakage and can't be overly manipulated.

When we wet our hair it has a chance to draw up and become tangled. That is the only downside to the constant wetting of our hair, that would be a valid concern.

All hair is damaged as soon as it emerges from the scalp. This goes for every kind of hair, not just our hair. Air, water, manipulation break and erode away the protein and that's before you apply other things like hair products (all made from chemical ingredients) and heat. Think about fibers in your clothing. You can minimize damage if you're careful but you can't prevent it all together.

Ain't hair dead already? But we do everything to keep it on our head as if it were living. I have accepted that it is inevitable that my hair will break, split, and fall out but also I know how to keep those natural occurrences at bay. This hydral fatigue thing hasn't been an issue because I already prepoo with oils, seal with oils, put oils on top of my DC, everyday I use a light application of oils. Guess I dodged that bullet.

I have never heard of that term before. Does that mean our hair would ultimately get damaged even when trying to moisturize it since most hair products first ingredient IS water.

I guess all those "myths" that we shouldn't wash our hair so often did have some truth to them.

I live on the premise that I do what works for me. And I daresay it's been going pretty well for the past 11+ years that I've been doing my own hair soo...I don't get bent out of shape over what I read on the innanets.

I know it does feel like that sometimes but don't be frustrated OP.

First we should examine what is meant by *everything**.
For example hydral fatigue , if you think about where we as people originate from (sub saharan africa) wetting our hair on a daily, maybe even weekly/monthly basis was NEVER meant for us.
Now look at caucasians and their evolution, their eyes/skin got lighter to better absorb sunrays for optimum vitamin d production (amongst others) and their hair is suited for a climate in which it rains alot more, depending on the region even daily.

So while our hair is not meant to do everything OTHER races do it does have it's perks.

Also I'm not implying it never rains in Africa or people there don't wash their hair before somebody jumps me, I'm talking about the roots and evolution of mankind which began in Africa.

It was my understanding that hair even in good condition can absorb a certain amount of water. If it's damaged it's even greater. Length and diameter also increases which is why humidity will destroy a hairdo.

It is what it is really. Hair closest to the scalp will be healthier than the ends due to wear and tear, water, sun, wind, etc.

Thanks goodness for conditioners! :yay:

Last edited:
So, yesterday I was web surfing as I usually do, and decided to visit Curly Nikki. For all those who frequent her site, there was an article on pre-pooing and why it's beneficial. I read through the article, and it mentions something called hydral fatigue. I'd heard this term before, but until yesterday I never payed it any mind. It talked about how the constant swelling and contraction of the hair due to water can lead to it being damaged, and the best way to prevent it was by pre-pooing with oils.

Are you flippin' serious? Out of all the things that damage our hair, WATER? I'm not talking about Hard Water vs Soft Water, that much I understand, but why does it seem like every little thing damages our hair? The air, the sun, the water, temperatures, humidity, pH, hair products, heat styling, combs, brushes, headbands, pillowcases, clothing-it never ends. Next thing you know just looking at someone's hair will cause it to become damaged and break off.

*sigh* I just wanted to rant a bit, glad I got that outta my system. *drops mic, hops off soap box, and walks away*

:lol: I came across that article just yesterday and thought the same thing! I just started doing the curly girl wash n go method a couple of weeks ago by co-washing and moisturizing my hair more frequently and I read this mess! :wallbash:

Listen, I'm not saying it's the end of the world and I'm not trying to make it any bigger than it is. I'm sincerely just coming to a place where I don't want to give a crap about my hair anymore. Throw it in some braids and just go about my businesses. However, it's frustrating to be someone who hasn't quite mastered their hair yet (though I know I'm reeeally close) and tries to prevent any damage I am able to (knowing good and well that all hair is dead and thus cannot sustain itself forever) but when I hear about all the elements that lead to damaged and/or broken off hair. It makes me go *table flip*.

Listen, I'm not saying it's the end of the world and I'm not trying to make it any bigger than it is. I'm sincerely just coming to a place where I don't want to give a crap about my hair anymore. Throw it in some braids and just go about my businesses. However, it's frustrating to be someone who hasn't quite mastered their hair yet (though I know I'm reeeally close) and tries to prevent any damage I am able to (knowing good and well that all hair is dead and thus cannot sustain itself forever) but when I hear about all the elements that lead to damaged and/or broken off hair. It makes me go *table flip*.

Still, don't worry about the innanets too much! Have things you've been doing already been damaging your hair?

PinkPeony said:
I know it does feel like that sometimes but don't be frustrated OP.

First we should examine what is meant by *everything**.
For example hydral fatigue , if you think about where we as people originate from (sub saharan africa) wetting our hair on a daily, maybe even weekly/monthly basis was NEVER meant for us.
Now look at caucasians and their evolution, their eyes/skin got lighter to better absorb sunrays for optimum vitamin d production (amongst others) and their hair is suited for a climate in which it rains alot more, depending on the region even daily.

So while our hair is not meant to do everything OTHER races do it does have it's perks.

Also I'm not implying it never rains in Africa or people there don't wash their hair before somebody jumps me, I'm talking about the roots and evolution of mankind which began in Africa.

I am not sure about this theory. In West Africa, the rainy season lasts for six months and talk about a downpour! It gets cold (southern Europe winter cold) in Southern Africa and some parts of East Africa. I learned that lesson the hard way :lol:. How would this theory work with Kuwaitis or Emiratees.

Me too @ the bolded! I've been doing a lot of different things with my hair since being natural. Now, I'm just doing the wash n go thing and letting my hair do what it wants to do for the most part. I got tired of all the twisting, combing, straigthening, and styling into different hair styles. Seemed like my hair wasn't getting anywhere length wise. I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with my natural coil pattern and shrinkage. Don't worry, you will figure things out. :hug2:

I am not sure about this theory. In West Africa, the rainy season lasts for six months and talk about a downpour! It gets cold (southern Europe winter cold) in Southern Africa and some parts of East Africa. I learned that lesson the hard way :lol:. How would this theory work with Kuwaitis or Emiratees.

Interesting..I knew about the rainy season but let it slip my mind. And @ PinkyPeona(sp?) post I still agree with a good bit of it, and I like to remember that we obviously also evlolved. My hair loves plenty of water, inside and out. The only time it seems to have an adverse reaction to water is when something else has gone wrong. I've learned to pay close and closer attention to my hair and body as I've researched healthy hair.

I also used to feel the way the op does, however, like other posters have stated my hair seems to thrive with every step I make toward seriously acheiving healthy hair, super long or not. I love my hair.

Last edited:
I sometimes feel this way, someone with 4b (mostly) and thin strands. I always prepoo with coconut oil after reading and article on the topic on hairlista about a year ago. But I don't let it bend me outta shape too much. Whether its a fact or not, my personal belief is that my particular type of hair (curly pattern, density, porosity, etc) was not meant to reach great lengths. Whether it can reach great lengths or not isn't what I'm questioning, I am sure it can with the perfect storm, but I don't think that was its purpose. So I treat it well and know I'm doing nothing wrong to it. As long as I do what I'm supposed to, I'll have the best results I can have. And that's all we can do. It's a small comfort lol but it's still comfort.

Still, don't worry about the innanets too much! Have things you've been doing already been damaging your hair?
As of lately, no. I had most of my set backs within the first 2 years of being natural, so I'm beginning to understand my hair more. But I'm also trying to tread softly, because I have breakage throughout from when I used to have locs. Right now my hair is in re-cooperation mode, so I try to do some PSes to keep my hands outta my hair.

I do a lot of research because I know I don't have all my methods together just yet. I've discovered I have fine, very porous, medium density, 4a strands. My hair doesn't achieve styles with the same methods as some other naturals. I'm learning more and more about what it can and cannot do and what it does and does not like. By the end of this year I want to have my regimen down pat. Once that is done, I will focus on growth and retention.

Me too @ the bolded! I've been doing a lot of different things with my hair since being natural. Now, I'm just doing the wash n go thing and letting my hair do what it wants to do for the most part. I got tired of all the twisting, combing, straigthening, and styling into different hair styles. Seemed like my hair wasn't getting anywhere length wise. I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with my natural coil pattern and shrinkage. Don't worry, you will figure things out. :hug2:

Thanks Poohbear, I think my biggest issue was trying to do what everybody else was doing at first. There's been a whole lot of trial and error. Despite my curl pattern, I do NOT have wash n go hair. It'll look nice until I actually want to stretch my hair again, then I have SSK's for days.

*hugs* Op, I know what you mean, especially if you have fine hair. It's hard to understand.

You feel my pain :cry2:

Last edited:
Back