Why do you have a "winter" regimen?????

Do you have a winter regimen? (please post why or why not)

• Yes

Votes: 84 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 40.4%

• Total voters

audacity.

The concept really doesn't make too much sense to me, so I need someone to break it down for me.

I mean if winter weather is usually dry, blustery and downright COLD (depending on where you live geographically) why am I seeing so many "winter" regimens that cut down on washing?

If water is the best way to moisturize - not just your hair - then shouldn't "winter" regimens incorporate more frequent washing so that you are maximizing the moisture?

Is a "winter" regimen REALLY necessary? It just seems like more extra to me????? :spinning: What is really the point?

Hey DenverGirl:grin:
I'm cutting down on washing in my winter reggie b/c I can't just walk out with a wet head of hair like in summer.
My hair would freeze and I would get sick.:nono:
Besides that I'm adding more sealend or grease to my reggie to protect my hair from the cold winter air.
Did I mention that I walk everywhere so I'm outside quite often.
Btw -I just moved in the area do you know any good hairstylists in Denver?

I have one because my hair get drier quickly in the winter so I moisturise every other day. In summer I moisturise two times a week:yep:

Hey DenverGirl:grin:
I'm cutting down on washing in my winter reggie b/c I can't just walk out with a wet head of hair like in summer.
My hair would freeze and I would get sick.
:nono:
Besides that I'm adding more sealend or grease to my reggie to protect my hair from the cold winter air.
Did I mention that I walk everywhere so I'm outside quite often.
Btw -I just moved in the area do you know any good hairstylists in Denver?
Same here. Even in summer I get sick from having my hair wet too often (one year it was bronchitis), so less washing and more protection for me from Sept. to May.

It probably depends on how drastically the climate changes wherever you live. I live in TX so we go from hot to cold all through the winter. My hair tends to shed more in the winter as well. So I make sure that I do more intense DC's and that I leave my hair alone as much as possible. Also as the 2nd poster stated, you have to cut out the "wethead" b/c you will get sick if its cold outside.

The concept really doesn't make too much sense to me, so I need someone to break it down for me.

I mean if winter weather is usually dry, blustery and downright COLD (depending on where you live geographically) why am I seeing so many "winter" regimens that cut down on washing?

If water is the best way to moisturize - not just your hair - then shouldn't "winter" regimens incorporate more frequent washing so that you are maximizing the moisture?

Is a "winter" regimen REALLY necessary? It just seems like more extra to me????? :spinning: What is really the point?

Because of the harsh winter air and the drying heat inside, it causes the hair to be more drying than in the other seasons and your hair needs more conditioning and moisture now more than ever.

I have my greatest hair growth in the winter because I don't wash as often and when I do, I clarify rather than use regular shampoo so that I can do more CW's without the drying effect that shampoo can have on my hair.

This is the first year I have adopted a winter regimen because I just cut off damaged, broken hair and my hair has been very dry for a few months due to neglect. I am trying to turn things around and have vowed to "nurse" and "baby" my hair back to its healthier, lengthier condition of years ago. I am not cutting down on shampooing (I always wash once weekly and, although I would love to wash more, I can't find time to do more because of so many responsibilities, e.g., I have a young child, long commute, work long hours, household stuff). However, I am doing the following: (1) moisturizing daily and sealing my ends nightly; (2) restricting myself to using direct heat to only once a month and even then only if an emergency; (3) on my weekly wash, using an overnight Amla pre-poo and following with a shampoo, oil rinse and deep conditioner; and (4) styling with a weekly rollerset and wrapping my hair nightly. I am praying that this works to rejeuvenate my hair and to help me gain and retain length even during the brutal winter months. I miss my SL hair!!! :cry:

My hair gets dry in the winter. I MUST use more moisture!! I don't really have to do that in milder months. I pretty much do everything else the same, but I apply moisture more often.

I also find myself wearing my hair up more often because I wear wool scarfs, sweaters and have a coat rubbing against it. I will even just wear it up when I am out or in the car driving then take it down when I get to work.

I see 3 folx who who voted and don't have one, but no one posted why? :look:

Thanks for the replies ladies. This is some helpful, info.

Anyone else?

I voted no because I don't consider myself as having a specific "winter regimen". I don't care for my hair any differently than I would any other time, I just adapt to my hair's needs - as I do all year round. Even in the summer if I am going to be in the sun, I try to be mindful of that and apply a little more moisture so it does not get parched. I still have my shampoo/deep condition/henna every 6 weeks regimen.

Last edited:
I have one. I have decided to moisturize more once in the morning and once at night. I also incorporated a hat with a silk lining for when I am outside.

I winter regimen is not so different to the winter one....in that I have just decided that after growing all that hair over summer I cant give the winter a chance to throw it all away so I have invested in lots of hats. Where I not really allowed to wear head gear at work...that is just about the only place where my hair is in show. Otherwise at uni to and from work and sometimes even at home(due to central heating) I either have a scarf or hat on my head. It will stay that way until this winter lets up...and the gale force winds and rain over here are something else to say the least. So in a way I am sort if heading my hair:grin:

I'm still working on developing one. My hair has been soooo dry. Last week, I tried to wear my hair natural in a wash & go and it was just bad. It's too cold for all that. I'm going to cut down on washing and use heavier moisturizers. I'm also keeping my hair under wigs for most of the rest of the winter- so that my moisture level won't get too bad.

My winter regimen is different from summer because I cut out on CWs because NY winters and wet hair sucks. Oh and use more oils to protect my hair from the weather

Winter here in the Midwest is a bit harsh, so I have to keep my ends moisturized and covered and that way I am consistent with no trims...
During the winter I bun more which helps retain more length and locks in moisture....

1. Although water is the best moisturizer - wet hair can actually freeze in harsh temps.

2. Plus it is just uncomfortable to walk around when its cold with damp or wet hair!

3. Lastly, winter fashions (wool coats or sweaters, turtlenecks, scraves and hats) can play havoc on ends, so many up their protection of ends this time of year.

Last edited:
I was daily co-washing but if it's going
to be cold outside... I'll do a rollerset...
it's all about the temperature for me.
If it's going to be humid/hot (I live in the south)
then I'll do co-washes... I rotate whereas
in the summer I just do straight non-stop daily co-washing

Yeah, I understand the need to protect those ends from the harsh "winter" fabrics.

So, it's not really the washing frequency that makes much of a difference it is the choice of style?

And why no posts from those who voted no??? :sad:

Because of the harsh winter air and the drying heat inside, it causes the hair to be more drying than in the other seasons and your hair needs more conditioning and moisture now more than ever.

I have my greatest hair growth in the winter because I don't wash as often and when I do, I clarify rather than use regular shampoo so that I can do more CW's without the drying effect that shampoo can have on my hair.

Same here though I'm now in Texas, the same issue applies with indoor heat.Its very drying so i condition and protect my ends more. I also find that the heat makes my hair grow more so part of my regimen is to pull out the humidifier

I just keep my head covered in protective styles more with more moisturization. I have read that hair can literally freeze in the cold weather, which in turn will snap those beloved ends off so I don't think it's a good idea to wear styles with the ends all naked.

Hmmm.... this is interesting. I usually end up "washing" (with shampoo once per week, with co-washes other times) more often + DCing + sealing in with oil in the winter. It seems like everyone else is doing the opposite.

Colder temperatures and drying heat sap the moisture out of hair, especially below zero temperatures and winds.

Hmmm.... this is interesting. I usually end up "washing" (with shampoo once per week, with co-washes other times) more often + DCing + sealing in with oil in the winter. It seems like everyone else is doing the opposite.

This is why I was confused :spinning:.

The way I figured, that a "winter" regimen would consist of more washing followed by DCs and/or heavy sealing.

I don't see how the weather/temperature outside plays a significant role in the condition of your hair unless you are spending prolonged periods out in the elements. Most of us who have to battle windy and frigid temps outside are bundled up and, at least for me, my head is covered with a hat or hood.

And if the heat (inside) is drying during the winter, wouldn't it be the same for AC in the summer?

This is why I was confused :spinning:.

The way I figured, that a "winter" regimen would consist of more washing followed by DCs and/or heavy sealing.

I don't see how the weather/temperature outside plays a significant role in the condition of your hair unless you are spending prolonged periods out in the elements. Most of us who have to battle windy and frigid temps outside are bundled up and, at least for me, my head is covered with a hat or hood.

And if the heat (inside) is drying during the winter, wouldn't it be the same for AC in the summer?

I think everyone is just doing what works for them. All I know is that in the winter, my hair, skin, lips and cuticles are dry compared to the other times of the year. I even have to wear lip balm more in the winter because my lips can get chapped. It is what it is for many of us. You just do what you gotta do to maintain moisture so when Spring comes your hair is good as new and not all dried out.

I think everyone is just doing what works for them. All I know is that in the winter, my hair, skin, lips and cuticles are dry compared to the other times of the year. I even have to wear lip balm more in the winter because my lips can get chapped. It is what it is for many of us. You just do what you gotta do to maintain moisture so when Spring comes your hair is good as new and not all dried out.

In general people will do what is best for their hair but as a newbie I can honestly say that when you read some regimens or hair 'advice' it does sound like there is a rule and that one SHOULD have a winter, summer, fall and any other season. It's good to remind folks that despite what you hear and how it sounds, everyone does what is best for her hair.
I actually needed some clarification on precisely this topic and posted a new thread on ACVs and Washes.

Also, is anyone factoring in the dry indoor heat?

Winter Regimen Update, I've decided to step up my bunning to seven days a week instead of five.. I wash and deep condition once a week all year around so that haven't change.. Since the winter is upon us its been snowing and I do not want my hair to dry out so to keep my hair in tip top shape I said I am going to leave it alone. I will take my hair down to moisturize then back in a bun it goes...:yep:

I feel like my hair is more fragile during winter due to the cold weather, wind and going from hot to cold.

Winter climates take a toll on my skin so I up the skincare routine, I take the view my hair deserves extra care and attention also :)

I don't but since I am a stay at home mom, I'm hardly outside in this weather anyway and can afford to wet my hair daily with out worrying about the cold. I usually co was in the morning/afternoon and don't really go out until evening. If I do go out, I'm wigging it so I dunno, I don't really feel it. I can imagine my hair is drier, because as honeydew said everything else on my body is drier but I think I am battling that with wetting my hair all the time. I remember last winter when I was relaxed my hair would freeze on the ends when I would go out though and it would feel very delicate and dry until it thawed out so I would say that is not a myth and one should watch their ends.

I voted yes, but I really don't know if I have 2 separate reggies since I am just starting out. But Like another poster stated can't go out with wet/damp hair in the winter. So I co-wash at least 1x a week (may throw in an extra if I have build up), whereas in summer will probably be more often due to sweating. Also I have in my mind that in the winter I will use my "heavier-moisture" products since the cold air seems so harsh and to balance using my lighter oils. Im in NY and last week we had temps in the teens, so my hair is scared of the cold weather. Also I will not use coconut oil in the winter except for at night before bed. Thought behind this (and also experienced) -coconut oil hardens (jojoba did too-just pop it in the fridge to see which oils solidify) as the temp drops (also had this problem w/ shea butter). For a few days I could not figure out why my hair seemed to be hard after walking the dog and felt drier as opposed to when I just used sweet almond oil. ---SSL; HTH

Back