Why do men try to talk to you when you look your worst!!

Traycee

I run out the door to run errands today.....I had my husbands too big T-shirt on...I had four braided plaits in my hair air drying......And I spent the whole afternoon telling guys...I'm married....Why is that??? I thought I was cute yesterday didn't nobody harass me :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just don't get it

You ain't neva lied! The times when my hair needs to be washed and I have on my tube socks and adidas slides is when all the guys be like "Whats up baby?" :lachen::lachen:

1) A lot of guys like when women look natural pretty.

2) Maybe when you're done up you look "unapproachable." Maybe they felt more comfortable approaching you when you were casually dressed.

Either way it's a compliment.

Girl ain't that so true!!! Last Saturday, I had just left the gym. My hair was a big sweaty afro. NOT CUTE! A policeman followed me into the Whole Foods parking lot in his patrol car to talk to me. Then I went into the store and the produce guys were looking and smiling too. No I didn't have on anything skimpy. I was like, what are they looking at?? I was on my way to the hair salon. Do you think that anyone looked at me after I left the salon.....NOT!!

I run out the door to run errands today.....I had my husbands too big T-shirt on...I had four braided plaits in my hair air drying......And I spent the whole afternoon telling guys...I'm married....Why is that??? I thought I was cute yesterday didn't nobody harass me :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just don't get it

:lachen:I don't get it either! But wait...were the guys cute? LOL

2) Maybe when you're done up you look "unapproachable." Maybe they felt more comfortable approaching you when you were casually dressed.

Lol I always think men are crazy and insane for trying to talk to me when "I think" im bummin or not looking good. I look at them like Whats wrong with u :perplexed.
When I ask my guy friends about this they say its because of #2

Last edited:
Maybe they assume that we are more likely to give them some if we look that way.I mean,some men might assume that we can't get a man therefore we would be more willing to drop the panties...Or maybe
they just feel more comfortable when we are dressed down.
They could also think that you are taken when you look your best and don't want to be rejected.

I think that's what it is. I had a similar incident yesterday. I was riding my bike and it was pretty dark. I wore a sweatshirt with the hood and baggy pants with some busted arse sneakers so that no one would say anything to me. What do you know...this construction guy STILL tries to holla...I was like "how did you know i was a girl?!!":lachen:

Here's another reason I think this is true. I have a close friend of mine who dresses down everywhere she goes (with the exception of church). I mean, she will wear a baseball cap AND sweats to a club with no regrets. She always gets hit on. One night, this discussion came up among a group of us and we asked the guys why this is the case. These jerks said that it's because girls who dress like that look "homely" and they [the girls] may do more in the bedroom then a girl who is dressed to impress because she gets less play. The girls in the group were like WTF?!!:wallbash:

I seem to go through this a lot. - and I am always looking like an attractive bummy woman - I have poor college student syndrome - poor college graduate can't find a job syndrome. :lachen:I think a. we appear more approachable, b. we are too good for them, c. we don't appear as confident as we usually are when we look our best and some men like unconfident women (jerks/users) d. we must not have a man - which is usually no the case but some men are not too bright about this. I've actually been harassed for not giving men the time of day. I think men assume you're a snob if you turn them down and don't look good.:ohwell:

:sucks teeth: pssssshhhhh...i look good all the time honey :lachen:j/k! but you are correct. i can barely even look ppl in the face when that happens, i just feel off! :lachen:

My husband just put his two cents in.......He said they like natural beauty....If you are pretty with sweats ,no make up, hair half combed ....they can only imagine what you look like hooked up.....A lot of women can't just walk out the door with out doing anything and still be cute..

My husband just put his two cents in.......He said they like natural beauty....If you are pretty with sweats ,no make up, hair half combed ....they can only imagine what you look like hooked up.....A lot of women can't just walk out the door with out doing anything and still be cute..

My husband said the SAME thing!!!! :yep:

Ditto with my hubby too! He also says that most men who aren't looking for a trophy women perfer women who don't wear gobs of make-up.

I've learned from dozens of men I asked that they HATE MAKEUP.

Some lip gloss and an arched eyebrow is all you need.

While we women think makeup makes us more attractive (to men), its actually the opposite. Most men I know dont like it at all and feel you look ten times better without it.

Last edited:
I think although men like women who wear make-up and is all dressed up, I believe deep down they seek a woman who appreciates her own natural beauty and embraces it. In that, she exudes comfortability in herself and confidence. So he bypasses all the other stuff us women so often see as "faults" :)

My husband says Amen to that!!! He loves me in a Bears hat and sweats any time of the day. :grin:

Refering to the topic....I know how you feel.:yep: I live on a busy street and would mow the front yard in my husbands clothes and still would get honked at and yelled at. I totally looked like a dude w/ baggy clothes on and a hat. I don't know what they see. :nono::spinning: I love working in the yard but hated to get attention even in mens clothes.

prettyfaceANB

I've learned from dozens of men I asked that they HATE MAKEUP.

Some lip gloss and an arched eyebrow is all you need.

While we women think makeup makes us more attractive (to men), its actually the opposite. Most men I know dont like it at all and feel you look ten times better without it.

This is how my husband feels too. He always say I don't need it. I just can't believe him. :grin: LOL!!! But I must admit I don't feel comfortable without a little foundation on. My goal is to be makeup free by spring. (getting blemishes under control w/ the help of avon peels and scrubs)

Last edited:

Very true. I remember Halle Berry as a crack head in Jungle Fever. You could tell that under all that crack, she was pretty.

Good points. I never looked at that way. I was just simply annoyed...lol. Now, I understand...lol.

just what i was going to tell you. the first time my SO really "saw" me, i was leaving the gym. my hair was in a sweaty, messy bun, and i had thrown on my old baggy track sweats and an oversized hoodie (cuz i ran in a beater and track shorts and wasn't looking for any attention once i left the gym). he said he thought i was the sexiest thing ever because i was obviously pretty, just not "done up." also i wasn't walking around with my head held down... i didn't care who saw me looking rough. i was on my way back to my dorm to take a shower anyway, LOL. so i caught him staring and when i smiled and said hi... it was all over, he was smitten for life. :lachen:

even now when i dress up and we hit the town, as soon as we get home and i wash the make-up off and get into my comfy clothes he always comments, "you looked so nice tonite, but you look gorgeous like this." :spinning: men...

This happens to me all the time, I think I even started a thread about it.

DH said the natural beauty thing too

I had a nice looking dude following me around Wal-Mart and I was lookin tow up from the floor up:lachen:

I have this happen to me every time I look my worst. I use to wonder about this all the time and I have come to a conclusion. I really think men just feel less intimidated when we don't look our best. Many guys somehow tell me that they were afraid to talk to me before those days of looking bad. i ask them why and they reply, " You just didn't look like you'd be interested. And I get this from guys ranging from ugly to sexy.

I have always tried to figure this out...gets me everytime.

As another poster said, I think guys like to see a woman that is comfortable by not being dressed down, because when you're dressed, you probably seem unapproachable.

I know when I'm looking good and I know it, I step in those heels like I have five degrees and like you better not come to me making less thank $300,000 grand :lachen:Even though, it's not the case..I guess it's just easier to prey on the "homely" :grin:

I understand the natural beauty thing, but I don't wear makeup or dress up most of the time anyway. So the natural beauty part doesn't apply to me.

Much like Pemuny mentioned , you do know when you look good. So guys just have confidence issues or just think that you are too high maintenance on good days.

Back