Why can't men spell?

Why can't men spell . . .

• They're ignorant.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • They're lazy.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • They really just can't. It's part of their physiology.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Other (explain . . . PLEASE!)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LOL. I thought that too when this whole text craze came about. But it's not all men.

I swear texting and social networking has revealed all the functioning illiterates of the world.

Last edited:
^^^
If you dont text me in complete sentences we wont be talking long. I dont have time to translate. Dis iz nt hw p-pl tlk so dnt tlk 2 me lk dis.

I've noticed this too. Even the most intelligent men I know are horrible spellers. I am not sure if they are lazy or thats just what they do.

Last edited:
I've noticed this too. Even the most intelligent men I know are horrible spellers. I am not sure if they are lazy or thats just what they do.

Really? Well that makes me feel better. I'm like, "Who are these bottom of the barrell, GED drop outs who keep contacting me?" :lol:

GLIB GIRL!!!!
this is the bane of my existence... i mean spell check does exist, right?

I was wondering, in your field, Law, men must have better grammar, right?

I've met some of the most brilliant men.... and their spelling... their grammar :nono:

I don't think its a male thing...I notice that people who normally can't spell hate reading but love math it depends. But I do know what you mean though. Sometimes I look at a quick text and chuckle at some of the words.

GLIB GIRL!!!!
this is the bane of my existence... i mean spell check does exist, right?

I was wondering, in your field, Law, men must have better grammar, right?

I've met some of the most brilliant men.... and their spelling... their grammar :nono:

Its always like that, the most brilliant men who are great with their words verbally cannot spell.

I have to admit I am a horrible speller. For me I am so quick with my thoughts and eager to get them out that spelling gets left behind. When I slow down I don't make as many mistakes but that just doesn't come natural to me.

I thought my poor spelling would hurt me in Grad School, but nope it didn't really have any significant impact on my grades. :yay:

Lol I have such a gripe with that. I've only known two really intelligent guys that had almost perfect grammar. My current SO...tsk tsk. I don't even know how he's so successful. I find myself wondering if he makes those same errors at work. I told him once that he needs to buy stock in spell check. lol Let's not even talk about messages from online dating! Ugh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I have to admit I am a horrible speller. For me I am so quick with my thoughts and eager to get them out that spelling gets left behind. When I slow down I don't make as many mistakes but that just doesn't come natural to me.

I thought my poor spelling would hurt me in Grad School, but nope it didn't really have any significant impact on my grades. :yay:

This is me!!!!! When I was in school I had a teacher that said some of the worst spellers are the most intelligent people you will ever met. So after that, I did not really care. Spell check works just fine for me.

As far as men, that really is not an issue for me. I know I am flawed and try not to judge others harshly. (Kanye shrug) What are your conversations like? Do you read? How are you received in your chosen profession? Do you have common sense and book sense? Are you open minded? Do you use words correctly? These issues are more important than can he spell.

Last edited:
As far as men, that really is not an issue for me. I know I am flawed and try not to judge others harshly. (Kanye shrug) What are your conversations like? Do you read? How are you received in you chosen profession? Do you have common sense and book sense? Are you open minded? Do you use words correctly? These issues are more important than can he spell.

True . . . but to me, something as small as spelling is reflective of those other areas. But, I'm in a light-weight work-with-a-brotha mode so we shall see.

I don't like text speak. The only people I know that do it are teens, and even they are over it now. I've known some guys who can't spell, we didn't even get to dating, DH is very good with spelling but we both use some short cuts if we're texting each other and that's fine.

yeah, some folks that don't know how to spell may be brilliant but let's get real. most are not.

"i fimd you to be avery attracrive woman" - not a genius

"i so board i doesn't know wat to do" - not a genius

"my favurate colars are black and wight" - not a genius

i'm not the best speller and, to be honest, my grammar ****ing sucks but i'm really annoyed by people who don't know how to spell words that are on 3th grade spelling lists. and what the **** is up with people who know nothing about subject-verb agreement? "they doesn't go here anymore." two year olds talk like that, not grown *** adults with college degrees.

My SO is the first man I have been with that I think is smarter than me. He was an English major and has a law degree. He can spell and he writes well.

It's certainly not all men but I've dated a guy who couldn't spell, it really irked me.

It really is not just a male thing, there are real examples of poor spelling and grammar on this very forum - sorry :look:

I won't respond to folks who send text messages littered with text speech, I am not 13. :rolleyes:

^Over the years I've discovered that my father can't spell and has nearly no grammar proficiency.

Sorry to say it, but poor writing makes me "question, your; intelleshuns."

This guy keeps texting and he spells the word, "tired" as "tried." I'm going to have to say something as it's really irritating!

Misspelling common everyday words, ok I see that. Or using "there" intead of "their", now yeah, that would cause to pause. I was thinking about more complex words. We are on the same page now.:yep::yep:

I don't get where women meet men who can't spell. I mean it's something I suppose I can get over but it's going to be a huge turn off initially.

I also don't agree with the math lover but can't spell idea. Maybe that's the reason? I know engineers and math majors who can spell and write... maybe not the best handwriting but still.

I was shocked and appalled when I read a letter from my friend's bf who is a lawyer and she giggled "He's horrible at spelling." I was like, for real? I have a brother who reads nothing beyond the newspapers and is an eng major however can articulate his thoughts on paper if he has to.

Okay so a guy just kept texting saying "your a lawyer?" "your xyw?"

Finally I couldn't take it and I wrote back: "It's 'you're' not 'your'"

You know what he wrote back?

"YOU ARE single!"

:lachen:

My response - "So are you . . .I presume!"

email...actually a paper or article okay...

but I text because I don't want to talk on the phone. So if ur gonna correct me because I put gonna instead of going to, ur or your instead of you're. Then please NEVER text me...just make a list of what u need and remember it cuz I prolly won't be answering the phone much either. I refuse to sit there and flip back and forth between screens, or make my dyslexic self read things 3 and 4 times to see if a word is missing from a TEXT MESSAGE. It's not even an email. I just want a quick response from you without having to actually talk to you...

Sorry rant over. I think men just can't spell. Even the smartest ones I know mess up...my friend mixed up stoat and stout...and used it in a sentence too.:perplexed "You are short and stoat."...he was dead serious...

My ex was all types and looks of horrible when it came to spelling though. I mean if I didn't spend SO much time with him I wouldn't know what he wanted in the first place.

Back