Why can't I perm my hair right?

I did my 2nd self-relaxer this morning. The first was over 3 mos ago, the first week of August. I based my scalp, I left the stuff on for exactly 25 minutes--the max time. I used Phytospecific Index 2. I really made sure to smooth and to get to the area that was underprocessed from my last attempt--an area about 2 inches above my roots. I smoothed and smoothed, as much as I could in the time allotted. And it is like I didn't even fricken do anything :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ! That area is just as wavy as before. IT is almost like all I did was texturize it. I even looked at the box to make sure I had Index2 and not Index 1. My hairline is smooth, but it is that other area that is not. And I started in that area. So, that area was processed longer than all of the other areas. I don't know what I am doing wrong. :mad: I am so angry b/c I feel like I wasted my morning, and now this totally changes my hairstyle options for the coming week. I was going to wear a straight half wig, with the front slicked back. Well, now the textures won't even match b/c it isn't relaxed enought. DISAPPOINTED!!!!! :mad:

shunta said:
Im sorrry, I wonder what went wrong.:confused:
Thanks. I have no idea. While I was smoothing, everything was flat on my head, so I was like, okay, I'll be aiight. Even if the middle isn't bone straight, the main areas will be. I was REALLY concious of the front area b/c that is the area I would want to be "out", so I smoothed and smoothed to make sure that no matter what, that area would be straight. And it was like once the water hit it--poof! And I know it can't be that the phyto doesn't work for me, b/c I had a stylist who used to use it and I mean it would get BONE straight. I didn't want to leave it on longer than the 25 mins but I'm almost wondering now if that was the problem.

Since you say it isnt the relaxer, maybe you should try the half-half technique. Refer to my fotki journal and better luck next time

preciousjewel76 said:
I'm so sorry this happened to you! Is there anything you can do to smooth it out (roller set that section of hair, flatiron, etc.)?
Well, I did rollerset the front and I'm under the dryer right now. I *may* flat iron it to get it to be more smooth.

lonei said:
Since you say it isnt the relaxer, maybe you should try the half-half technique. Refer to my fotki journal and better luck next time
You know, Lonei, I was gonna do that. That was my plan, to do the half and half. But noooo, I got up this morning and felt that I could do the whole head and be okay. I was thinking that maybe the problem is that since I didn't start on my whole head at exactly the same time (b/c you know it takes a while to get to the next section), maybe this is what went wrong. But, I'm inclined not to think that b/c my whole head has that effect where the first inch is straight but the next couple of inches arent. :ohwell: But I think I may have to do half and half next time b/c I clearly at least need the whole 25 minutes on every section.

anatomicallycorrect said:
Thanks. I have no idea. While I was smoothing, everything was flat on my head, so I was like, okay, I'll be aiight. Even if the middle isn't bone straight, the main areas will be. I was REALLY concious of the front area b/c that is the area I would want to be "out", so I smoothed and smoothed to make sure that no matter what, that area would be straight. And it was like once the water hit it--poof! And I know it can't be that the phyto doesn't work for me, b/c I had a stylist who used to use it and I mean it would get BONE straight. I didn't want to leave it on longer than the 25 mins but I'm almost wondering now if that was the problem.

I had the same thing happen to me. I hae to either smooth better next time or use a different relaxer becuase Phyto maybe too mild for me.

I couldn't do it and a pro couldn't do it either.:lol: That's why I gave up on relaxing. I heard that Phyto is very mild, tho. Try using a different relaxer. I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited:
How much relaxer are you using? I've learned the more relaxer you put on the straighter the hair will become. You have to apply Phyto very generously. :yep:

The only time this happened to me was when I based my scalp too heavily. I'm sure you'll have a better experience next time.:)

Back