Why are porosity and texture not really

peachfuzzz

talked about here? Aren't they major components to figure out what your hair regimen should be? I did a search on the topics here and it was more about products to stop high porosity or texture was used to talk about hair typing (3a, 4a, 4z, etc).

When I say texture, I mean the thickness or diameter of a single hair strand (coarse, medium, fine). And porosity is the hair's ability to absorb and keep moisture...and this can change with chemicals and other processes. I was brought up thinking that all black people had coarse hair. That's why it looked the way it does. Ignorance! There are so many things that I was taught or just seemed to be understood that I now see is just plain foolishness and ignorance.

The hair classification helps to describe how our hair looks (gives you a "type"), but that seems to be about all it does. It's funny, cause I was spending time tryin to figure out which category my hair belonged to. I've seen many people say "her type didn't look like mine even though she was claiming it" type comments. I wonder if the texture and porosity of each person's hair affects how it looks.

I've only been here a short time, but I'm tryin to devour everything from this site and around the internet so I can figure this thing out! I know there's a lot of bad info out there. I wanna make sure this is correct. What do you ladies think? I know I was guilty of tryin to find someone with hair that looked like mine so that I could try her regimen. Rather than tryin to figure out if my hair was coarse, med, or fine and whether it was highly porous or not so I could give my hair what it wants.

Example: Coarse hair tends to hate protein but love humectants. While fine hair loves protein but don't like lots of humectants. Medium hair can tolerate it all (within a balance).

Here are a couple of informative sites I found about texture and porosity:

http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/analyzinghair.htm

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly hair basics.htmhttp://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/2009/01/hair-porosity.html

Please tell me what you think! I personally think knowing this would narrow done a newbie's quest for the right products.

I think they're talked about a lot actually. In fact, I think they're talked about so much that everyone thinks they have fine hair :lachen:. There are so many threads that specifically say "fine haired ladies" or "coarse haired ladies".

I do think that there are two camps when it comes to porosity: either folks don't think about it at all or they blame every single hair issue on it. So there are lots of threads on it as well. If you look in the newbie manual in my siggy, there's a whole section on porosity.

I agree with you about texture, it seems that hair textures are as important, if not more important, than hair types and it seems that all that people pay attention to is whether they are relaxed or natural? While I am still learning, I think confusion can be avoided. IMHO, I think that if we could figure out what makes certain ladies "hair twins" that would help with regimen building. That way a newbie, like myself, would be able to find a regimen without the costs associated with becoming a PJ!

Oh I wanted to add something since it happened to me recently.

I believe we should be able to direct threads to specific hair types/textures without people getting upset.

I agree! I am here to learn, so I don't mind redirection, especially if it'll save me some time and trouble!

Last edited:
I think they're talked about a lot actually. In fact, I think they're talked about so much that everyone thinks they have fine hair :lachen:. There are so many threads that specifically say "fine haired ladies" or "coarse haired ladies".

I do think that there are two camps when it comes to porosity: either folks don't think about it at all or they blame every single hair issue on it. So there are lots of threads on it as well. If you look in the newbie manual in my siggy, there's a whole section on porosity.

If that isn't a sticky, it should be!! This is what I've been looking for! Thank you thank you thank you! :bighug: Would you mind if I put a link like yours in my siggy??:grin:

Back