WHY ARE"NATURAL" PRODUCTS SO EXPENSIVE?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I've been researching products out there for natural hair and I'm very disappointed. Even the smallest amount costs so much money. :ohwell: I'm considering using the cheap products out there that you can buy in the store. Are there any inexpensive alternatives out there? I'm not a kitchen chemist, so please give me some advice.

I can only imagine the reason being that the natural products are not mass produced like mainstream products that you find everywhere. Also, the quality is supposedly better, so again you are paying for a more pure product no additives etc.

Just like buying organic foods at the grocery store. It's gonna cost ya....

I've been researching products out there for natural hair and I'm very disappointed. Even the smallest amount costs so much money. :ohwell: I'm considering using the cheap products out there that you can buy in the store. Are there any inexpensive alternatives out there? I'm not a kitchen chemist, so please give me some advice.

Because allot of commercial products have cheap fillers like mineral oil, petroleum so they can pass on these "savings" to the customer via cheaper prices. Also commercial products have cancer causing ingredients like parabans that are inexpensive compared to natural alternatives.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and you may want to consider the long term effects of using products whether natural or not.

I don't think they are "costly" at all I guess it depends which ones you are looking at. Aubrey Organics, Jason, Millcreek, Giovanni, Dr. Bonners are all reasonably priced.:yep:

When you get into the on-lined products that may be another story. However, the ones I mentioned are all comparable to things at Sally and other BSS.:look:

The way I see this is like asking why organic is so expensive. What I have found these days is that I dont have to buy these overly expensive hair products because I now raid the kitchen when I am doing my hair. I incorporate honey, mayonaisse, avocados, olive oil, coconut milk/oil, eggs, limes I could go on. Plus all the other oils I have jojoba coconut and SAA. I find that I can make up mixtures either for protein or moisture without having to get top brand products which cost a lot or any of the natural products that are popping up. There are plenty of receipes on this board or the internet.

Part of the reason they are so expensive is because of marketing. They know people will pay more for "better" products, so they make the prices higher. But, some lines really are offering better quality and I don't mind paying for that. For example, last night I used AO white camellia for the first time and I was surprised to find that I used only a palmful of conditioner for my whole head, and that was too much. It's so concentrated that this 10$ bottle is going to last me for a long time. With cheapies, I would use 8oz of conditioner in one sitting.

Anyway, you can find inexpensive products that are "natural" and ones that work for your hair. Cvs and Walgreens actually have a pretty good selection. And Whole Foods has sales all the time. Of course, there are places to order online that are cheaper. Natural hair isn't that difficult to maintain. Look for products that are for dry or damaged hair, those are usually the best.

The way I see this is like asking why organic is so expensive. What I have found these days is that I dont have to buy these overly expensive hair products because I now raid the kitchen when I am doing my hair. I incorporate honey, mayonaisse, avocados, olive oil, coconut milk/oil, eggs, limes I could go on. Plus all the other oils I have jojoba coconut and SAA. I find that I can make up mixtures either for protein or moisture without having to get top brand products which cost a lot or any of the natural products that are popping up. There are plenty of receipes on this board or the internet.

I do the same thing. I have products in my fridge that I made out of food and some of them work better than the ones in the store! I am a kitchen beautician all the way. I sometimes make these products and put them on my clients hair also.

there are natural lines that are not too costly. i love:
hairveda
shescentit
kbb(alil exspencive lol)
giovanni
and aubrey organics

i really do believe that you get what you pay for so in the long run it is much better.

Because allot of commercial products have cheap fillers like mineral oil, petroleum so they can pass on these "savings" to the customer via cheaper prices. Also commercial products have cancer causing ingredients like parabans that are inexpensive compared to natural alternatives.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and you may want to consider the long term effects of using products whether natural or not.
OT: I was looking at your staples in your siggy and you have all the products that I have and the ones that I am dying to get:lick:

I really admire you ladies that can be mixtresses. I wish I can have those skills.
Maybe I just enjoy product shopping way to much that my brain just shuts off any of those kinds of skills. I think it is wonderful to use what is in the kitchen, one day I will get to doing that:yep:

Back