Why Are Cones A No-No?

luxe.li.

I know I could easily do the research, and I've done this before. But I get these long explanations and sometimes I get things that are scientific trying to explain why products with cones are bad.

I just need a straight up answer. Why are cones bad?

Unless they're water soluble they have to be removed with sulfates (which is drying to some people's hair). I've heard baking soda can remove some but I don't know if that's actually true.

They give your hair a silky smooth feel but they block out moisture, not completely but it can make moisturizing ineffective. So, your hair can slowly dry out but it will be hidden by the silkiness of the cones. In the end, that dryness can cause breakage. This is especially a problem if the cones build up. Then it almost doesn't matter how much you moisturize.

They're great when you want to use heat though. I don't use heat but I know if I ever decide to flat iron I will find the strongest cones out there in order to protect my hair.

Some people's hair does fine with cones, some don't. Some people find it easier to detangle when they use products with cones because it makes their hair more slippery/smooth and the comb glides through. They're not bad for everyone or all the time, it's all about how often you use them and how much you let them build up.

Last edited:
People do hate on cones. I thought they were used as heat protectants. This should be interesting to read what is found.

They're not, necessarily. Some people use them with no problem. I generally stay away from them because most of them are not water soluble and require shampoos with SLS to remove the buildup they can leave. I like to stay away from those shampoos because they dry out my hair.

But I do use them once or twice in a blue moon. I'm not afraid of cones like I used to be. :)

The reasons I've read for not using cones is that most cones can only be removed by using a sulfate shampoo, and since sulfate shampoos are supposed to be bad (drying, etc.) for the hair, cones should be avoided so that sulfate shampoos don't need to be used.

I've also read that cones build up on the hair strand and clog the cuticles and after a while that hair can no longer receive moisture.

I haven't tried not using cones, though, so I don't know if there's much of a difference when a person doesn't use cones.

The reasons I've read for not using cones is that most cones can only be removed by using a sulfate shampoo, and since sulfate shampoos are supposed to be bad (drying, etc.) for the hair, cones should be avoided so that sulfate shampoos don't need to be used.

I've also read that cones build up on the hair strand and clog the cuticles and after a while that hair can no longer receive moisture.

I haven't tried not using cones, though, so I don't know if there's much of a difference when a person doesn't use cones.

Oils can do the same things.

Oils and silicones serve similar purposes except oils are not heat protectants. Generally here, people either like one or the other. Both however are volatile, some more than others so the amount of buildup is really dependent on use and wash cycle.

Okay I ask because I read a post on not using OIL to flat iron with because boils your hair or something to that nature.

So I go and buy CHI, and I get home and I read the ingredients because I have a bad habit of not doing it when I'm in the store, and I see it has cones. Then I bought this Organix Coconut Milk conditioner (which I freaking love) and ooh guess what, it has cones in it too....

So I had to ask why do people say no to cones??

Maybe one day I'll find a serum that has no cones, but Imma use the chi right now until I find a better product to use while flat ironing.

I love Sabino Moisture Block (pure cones) as do many other women here and it's going to be a staple in my 2009 reggie.

So technically cones aren't that bad if you plan on clarifying with an SLS poo every once in a while?

So technically cones aren't that bad if you plan on clarifying with an SLS poo every once in a while?

You don't have to use a clarifying poo. Cones are not cement and will actually chip off the hair to a degree depending on what kind, how much you apply, and your day to day regime. Regular shampoo will get them out.

Also.... just about all conditioners have ingredients (ie the chlorides) that prevent silicone from "sticking" as hard. Its a way to regulate just how much is applied to the hair.

You don't have to use a clarifying poo. Cones are not cement and will actually chip off the hair to a degree depending on what kind, how much you apply, and your day to day regime. Regular shampoo will get them out.

It depends what you mean by regular shampoo.

Okay I ask because I read a post on not using OIL to flat iron with because boils your hair or something to that nature.

So I go and buy CHI, and I get home and I read the ingredients because I have a bad habit of not doing it when I'm in the store, and I see it has cones. Then I bought this Organix Coconut Milk conditioner (which I freaking love) and ooh guess what, it has cones in it too....

So I had to ask why do people say no to cones??

Maybe one day I'll find a serum that has no cones, but Imma use the chi right now until I find a better product to use while flat ironing.

I know EXACTLY how you feel...it's really hard to hide from cones, and I'm not even gonna try. It's futile for me with the way I like to style.

Not trying to be annoying or anything, but where is this information about cones only being washed out with SLS shampoos coming from? Who did this research? Where can I read it? I just feel I need a little more proof before I can except some things.....

There are different kinds of cones. You really have to specify which one(s) you are talking about when referring to their effects and how to remove them.

I know EXACTLY how you feel...it's really hard to hide from cones, and I'm not even gonna try. It's futile for me with the way I like to style.

Not trying to be annoying or anything, but where is this information about cones only being washed out with SLS shampoos coming from? Who did this research? Where can I read it? I just feel I need a little more proof before I can except some things.....

If you google the properties of different cones you can find a lot of information from reputable sources. Some cones are water soluble (just like some other ingredients) but the ones that aren't need something else to remove them, usually some type of soap or shampoo.

I don't think cones are bad for hair. they actually protect the hair. Like everyone said they can cause build-up over time, but my other hair products that are cone-free also cause build-up. So you should be prudent to wash it out, and clarify from time to time

I guess it depends on your hair, it feels great on my hair, protects and never dries it out. For some peoplem, cones don't agree with them. So listen to your hair and figure out if cones are good or bad for you.

I love Sabino Moisture Block (pure cones) as do many other women here and it's going to be a staple in my 2009 reggie.

Hello :yep:

You just have to figure out if the regimen to maintain your hair with silicone use works for you but they aren't "bad" just because.

This topic came right on time for me, thanks OP. I just started using Sabino and we all know that it's ingredients are cones. I used it today for the first time and I love the way my hair looks and feels so far. I was wondering how the heck I was going to wash it out because the shampoo that I use is natural and doesn't contain SLS. I really don't want to go back to using shampoos with SLS.

Oils can do the same things.

Oils and silicones serve similar purposes except oils are not heat protectants. Generally here, people either like one or the other. Both however are volatile, some more than others so the amount of buildup is really dependent on use and wash cycle.

That's the key, if you are only washing your hair every other week or once a month or not using poo then cones will be a problem. I think they work best for people who: wash often (at LEAST once a week), use good moisturizers BEFORE sealing, and when washing make sure whatever you're using is strong enough to get the cones completely out. I have found a SLS poo that works for me so cones are not a problem.

This topic came right on time for me, thanks OP. I just started using Sabino and we all know that it's ingredients are cones. I used it today for the first time and I love the way my hair looks and feels so far. I was wondering how the heck I was going to wash it out because the shampoo that I use is natural and doesn't contain SLS. I really don't want to go back to using shampoos with SLS.
I use natural shampoo too, No SLS. I would like to know too:does it mean that if you are using cones you should not use a SLS free poo?
My favorite conditioner for cowashing has amodimethicone, I use it once or twice a week and I wash with SLS free poo once a week. Should I be worried about the cone drying my hair out?
I do baking soda rinses or baking soda and conditioner every now and then.

If you use a shampoo with Cocamidopropyl betaine, that should be enough to wash off most cones and it's gentle.

Whooo ok so ya'll are killing me with the names of these ingredients....cause as soon as I hit the store to look at the bottle, italljuststarstolooklikethistome and then I get confused.

So I got it now about the cones....my question is

can you give me some products
that have cones
cone free

what's the diffenence between SLS and clarifying? Is there?
Name some SLS products

OR bump some threads where this has already been discussed!

Thanks!

~A

my understanding is that if you are using cones only shampoos with sls or coco betaine can remove them. however, i want to start using aubrey's swimmer's poo which does not have these ingredients and neither does their clarifying shampoo. so can these remove cones.

Back