Why am I so hard headed??? HELP!

amara11

Hey ladies. Im 4a/b transitioning-head, and Ive been reading and researching and paying attention, and I must admit, with you guys' help, washing my hair ( a normally scary feat) went quite well with minimal detangling issues. I pre pood with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Triple Acting Formula (shea butter + cholesterol + mango), then I shampooed using NTM's Cream Lather Shampoo. I followed with a deep conditioning using a mix of KeraCare's Humecto Creme Conditioner, NTM's Deep Recovery Hair Mask, and ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak Deep Penetrating Conditioner. Detangling wasnt half bad, and I blowdried with minimal problems, but my hair was kinda hard. [On a good note however, Hair loss since the last wash (1 wk ago) has been MINIMAL (thank God)]

Now When I first started transitioning, my hair was a LOT softer after my routine (wash & cond-- no pre-pooing), and I only needed KeraCare's shampoo and conditioner and I was good- noting else, my hair was SUPER soft, shiny, bouncy, fluffy, etc. Now that more new growth is in (im working on my 11th month in transition) and my natural strands are coming through I have yet to find a routine that softens my hair, to the point where I can wear it in a wrap.

Its been getting progressively harder to do, and even when I get close, my hair is so stiff that when I unwrap it, it kinda "sticks" in position.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? What did u do to combat this, what products did you use. What did you do differently from your permie days, etc.

All responses welcome. I plan on washing my hair again in the next few days and I'd like to put some of your suggestions into use.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!
~amara~

amara11 said:
Hey ladies. Im 4a/b transitioning-head, and Ive been reading and researching and paying attention, and I must admit, with you guys' help, washing my hair ( a normally scary feat) went quite well with minimal detangling issues. I pre pood with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Triple Acting Formula (shea butter + cholesterol + mango), then I shampooed using NTM's Cream Lather Shampoo. I followed with a deep conditioning using a mix of KeraCare's Humecto Creme Conditioner, NTM's Deep Recovery Hair Mask, and ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak Deep Penetrating Conditioner. Detangling wasnt half bad, and I blowdried with minimal problems, but my hair was kinda hard. [On a good note however, Hair loss since the last wash (1 wk ago) has been MINIMAL (thank God)]

Now When I first started transitioning, my hair was a LOT softer after my routine (wash & cond-- no pre-pooing), and I only needed KeraCare's shampoo and conditioner and I was good- noting else, my hair was SUPER soft, shiny, bouncy, fluffy, etc. Now that more new growth is in (im working on my 11th month in transition) and my natural strands are coming through I have yet to find a routine that softens my hair, to the point where I can wear it in a wrap.

Its been getting progressively harder to do, and even when I get close, my hair is so stiff that when I unwrap it, it kinda "sticks" in position.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? What did u do to combat this, what products did you use. What did you do differently from your permie days, etc.

All responses welcome. I plan on washing my hair again in the next few days and I'd like to put some of your suggestions into use.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!
~amara~

IMHO, it sounds like you were using too much. What's wrong with using shampoo and conditioner and a little leave-in. SOunds like you might be experiencing some buidlup. I hope other ladies and chime in and give better advice.

Last night i tried the coconut milk and lime with a little jojoba oil, followed by Nutrine garlic shampoo and conditioner due to lots of breakage i was having and my hair came out so soft and tangle free, and there was very little shedding or breakage. i dont know which did it but the results were great.

MizaniMami said:
IMHO, it sounds like you were using too much. What's wrong with using shampoo and conditioner and a little leave-in. SOunds like you might be experiencing some buidlup. I hope other ladies and chime in and give better advice.

Hey, thanks for your response! My problem is that even when I was only using one item at a time (i.e KeraCare shampoo, KeraCare Conditioner, and a little heat protectant) my hair began to not respond as well as it had been in previous months. I know new growth is stronger/thicker, however Ive seen natural ladies with hair my texture get it soft and manageable. I'd just like to know what such women are doing. Is it my technique, wrong products. Also, I dont use products on my hair very much b/t washings, so when I do wash, my hair is pretty squeaky clean and I try to give it the moisture it needs by deep conditioning. Should i try clarifying anyway? Would that strip my hair? Sorry so many ???????(s)

Tayw29 said:
Last night i tried the coconut milk and lime with a little jojoba oil, followed by Nutrine garlic shampoo and conditioner due to lots of breakage i was having and my hair came out so soft and tangle free, and there was very little shedding or breakage. i dont know which did it but the results were great.

Thanks Im going to have to try this!

Do you use heat? When I was transitioning, I was pressing my hair almost weekly and when I would wash it it was so nappy, hard, and dry from using heat. If you use heat that could be the culprit.

Hey, amara11. I too am a 4a/b transitioner and nothing has softened my new growth as well as Suave Humectant. It's a cheapie version of Nexxus Humectress and ever since I started condition washing with it, my natural roots have been sooooo soft.

I've found that some of my staple products I used when relaxed don't work as well now that I'm transitioning so I've had to change my routine somewhat. I'm no expert but it does sound like you're using a lot of stuff.

Good luck and hang in there!

MzTami said:
Do you use heat? When I was transitioning, I was pressing my hair almost weekly and when I would wash it it was so nappy, hard, and dry from using heat. If you use heat that could be the culprit.

Yep- im truly starting to believe that's one of the biggest culprits. So I think it's about to be down to heat once a month (if that) from now on. I pretty much used heat every time I washed
icon9.gif
(i know!)

So, along with a few twirks to my regime, and staple products, Im going to hopefully get my hair feeling soft again.

Robin41 said:
Hey, amara11. I too am a 4a/b transitioner and nothing has softened my new growth as well as Suave Humectant. It's a cheapie version of Nexxus Humectress and ever since I started condition washing with it, my natural roots have been sooooo soft.

I've found that some of my staple products I used when relaxed don't work as well now that I'm transitioning so I've had to change my routine somewhat. I'm no expert but it does sound like you're using a lot of stuff.

Good luck and hang in there!

thanks! Ive since changed up the routine a bit (though its not perfected yet). I think my use of heat was working against me. And my hair is a bit over-proteined (i get a LOT from my diet, and my supplements - in addition to some of the products I use having protein)

Anyhoo. I'll keep you guys updated on the no heat, (except for hooded dryer), and moisture challenge. thanks again.

Maybe instead of blow drying you can roller set your hair, also, try using just a moisturizing DT, instead of one that contains protiens. And try clarifying.

Back