Whole Foods

caramelty

Okay ladies this transitioning is kicking my behind. I don't know what to do with my hair. These two textures just don't get along. I am going to whole foods today to pick up some items I have THICK 4ZZZ hair what would be some good moisturizers and conditioners that I could use. I am thinking of wearing a bun for a month. I was doing the braid thing but that gets tired at my position. Please HELP me I HAVE 22 perms in my closet that I keep picking up. LORD HELP ME!

I would buy:

-Whole Foods 365 Brand Conditioner. 4$ for 32oz. It comes in herbal mint, grapefruit, lavendar, or fragrance free. I really like the grapefruit one. I like it for cowashing, detangling, and leaving in when wet bunning or doing a twist out or braid out.

-Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner. Perfect for DCing, detangles well, smells good. 8$ but worth it.

-Coconut oil. Unrefined, cold pressed, hexane free. Buy a big jar. It's great as a conditioner, sealing ends, and seriously the best detangler I've ever used. And it actually penetrates the hair. Add it to conditioners or use as a hot oil treatment as well. It doesn't matter how much it is because you need it.

-Extra virgin olive oil. Another great oil that penetrates. Can be added to conditioners or used as a hot oil treatment. Great for detangling. If you get the Whole Foods brand it won't be too expensive.

-Honey. I usually go for organic, local honey but just get some honey. Mix it up with olive oil and coconut oil for a DC. Or add it to conditioners.

There's other stuff, but these are the must haves for me.

Besides the Coconut Oil and EVOO MSA recommended, I would also buy a bottle of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It makes a great deep conditioner, all natural ingredients. You can also grab Jane Carter products there.

If your Whole Food sale the Kinky Curly products then Knot Today hands down! Best leave in I have ever used. A little goes a long way.

Thanks ladies I am lost for words with this mess on my head. I am sitting here thinking how I would look if I BC'd but I know I wouldn't like it. So I am leaving work now and I am off 2morrow so I can try some different things with my products. I will let you'll know what I got later on.

Thanks ladies I am lost for words with this mess on my head. I am sitting here thinking how I would look if I BC'd but I know I wouldn't like it. So I am leaving work now and I am off 2morrow so I can try some different things with my products. I will let you'll know what I got later on.

The best thing you can do is keep your new growth moisturized and oiled. That seems to be the common thing for transitioners. So make sure you're DCing with something that can really get the job done, like the Giovanni or Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose. And you can use the Aubrey's as a leave in as well. Either way, use a heavy duty leave in/moisturizer on your new growth to keep it happy and easier to detangle. Oil will help with that as well.

Good luck!

Aubrey Organics White Camellia Smoothing Conditioner-I like to deep condition with this, and it makes my hair sooo smooth and easily detangled, even with heavy NG.

Virgin Coconut Oil-I like to seal with it after moisturizing. Makes my hair very soft. It will soften your new growth if you apply the oil to it.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner-This stuff smells awesome and moisturizes very well, and is super thick. I use it mostly as a leave-in. It's not super great at detangling, but it's good for taming new growth and making it behave.

That's all I can think of that I get at whole foods. Vitamin shoppe sells Aubrey Organics products for cheaper. I also like honey, but I get that at my local supermarket :grin:.

$4 for a 32oz of conditioner, eh? I may have to go on the long trip to get this. I don't know how much longer I'll be broke, so I better get what I can.

I would buy:

-Whole Foods 365 Brand Conditioner. 4$ for 32oz. It comes in herbal mint, grapefruit, lavendar, or fragrance free. I really like the grapefruit one. I like it for cowashing, detangling, and leaving in when wet bunning or doing a twist out or braid out.

-Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner. Perfect for DCing, detangles well, smells good. 8$ but worth it.

-Coconut oil. Unrefined, cold pressed, hexane free. Buy a big jar. It's great as a conditioner, sealing ends, and seriously the best detangler I've ever used. And it actually penetrates the hair. Add it to conditioners or use as a hot oil treatment as well. It doesn't matter how much it is because you need it.

-Extra virgin olive oil. Another great oil that penetrates. Can be added to conditioners or used as a hot oil treatment. Great for detangling. If you get the Whole Foods brand it won't be too expensive.

-Honey. I usually go for organic, local honey but just get some honey. Mix it up with olive oil and coconut oil for a DC. Or add it to conditioners.

There's other stuff, but these are the must haves for me.

$4 for a 32oz of conditioner, eh? I may have to go on the long trip to get this. I don't know how much longer I'll be broke, so I better get what I can.

It's amazing! And if they have a sale then you can get 32oz for 2$. It's not the most natural thing out there, but the ingredients are still pretty good (and there's no protein). It's a simple moisturizing conditioner than can be used for so many things.

I'm glad I found it. Now I know that if I ever make it to WL I'll still be able to afford conditioner because I'm super heavy handed.

Well, I'm sold (I'm heavy handed too, lol). I'll try to hop on the bus on go to Whole Foods. And yeah, the ingredients are pretty decent for not being 100% natural. I'll post for anyone who is interested:

Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Castor oil, Steralkonium Chloride, Chamomile Extract, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactamide MEA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Herbal Citrus Fragarance.

It's amazing! And if they have a sale then you can get 32oz for 2$. It's not the most natural thing out there, but the ingredients are still pretty good (and there's no protein). It's a simple moisturizing conditioner than can be used for so many things.

I'm glad I found it. Now I know that if I ever make it to WL I'll still be able to afford conditioner because I'm super heavy handed.

Well, I'm sold (I'm heavy handed too, lol). I'll try to hop on the bus on go to Whole Foods. And yeah, the ingredients are pretty decent for not being 100% natural. I'll post for anyone who is interested:

Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Castor oil, Steralkonium Chloride, Chamomile Extract, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactamide MEA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Herbal Citrus Fragarance.

Hmmm if I remember correctly mine is Phenoxyethanol and paraben free. I'll have to check it when I get home. I NEVER by anything with parabens.

Here are the ingredients I posted in another thread, it's for the fragrance free:
Water, cetearyl alcohol, peg-40 castor oil, stearalkonium chloride, glycerol stearate, benzyl alcohol, glycerin, dehydroacetic acid, sodium citrate panthenol, chamomilla recutita (matricaria flower extract), tocopherol (vitamin e), aloe barbadensis.

The grapefruit one has some grapefruit extract added in and maybe one other ingredient but no parabens or anything like that.

Last edited:
I'm new to the qhenet's line but they are the most moisturizing for my 4something hair. Shopped in Whole Foods today and ran across "Pretty Natural" line of products. I purchased the Rosemary Herbal Scalp Oil for my sister. There was also a shampoo and some other products but trying to limit my PJism.

Hmmm if I remember correctly mine is Phenoxyethanol and paraben free. I'll have to check it when I get home. I NEVER by anything with parabens.

Here are the ingredients I posted in another thread, it's for the fragrance free:
Water, cetearyl alcohol, peg-40 castor oil, stearalkonium chloride, glycerol stearate, benzyl alcohol, glycerin, dehydroacetic acid, sodium citrate panthenol, chamomilla recutita (matricaria flower extract), tocopherol (vitamin e), aloe barbadensis.

The grapefruit one has some grapefruit extract added in and maybe one other ingredient but no parabens or anything like that.

MSA Have you tried the shampoo that goes with? If you have does it get a thumbs up or down?

MSA Have you tried the shampoo that goes with? If you have does it get a thumbs up or down?

Nope, I don't do shampoo. I haven't even looked at the ingredients for it. I will next time I'm in Whole Foods (probably tomorrow).

But, if you just want to try it out Whole Foods has the little sample bottles that are like 2oz and they're only 99ct.

I wondered if they changed the formula? Hopefully, yours is the updated version.

Great thread. I'm visiting family this week and there's a Whole Foods nearby I plan to go to. I wasn't sure what to look for.

i just made a trip to wholefoods yesterday. i picked up & would recommend getting: (ao) aubrey organics rosa mosqueta, ao jojoba & aloe desert herb, ao gpb, earthly delight conditioner, and nature's gate hemp nourishing conditioner.
aubrey conditioners are staples. the hemp is a newbie, but the moisture & slip it has is amazing, the earthly is new as well -- creamy & light, makes a great leave-in. you really can't beat the natural product selection. just be sure to read the ingredients (not everythings paraben free ...) & be prepared to spend some money ... it's not nicknamed wholepaycheck for nothing, but it's worth it.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

What would I buy from Whole Foods??? ( or What do I buy from Whole Foods? :look:)

Aloe Vera Inner Fillet
Wheat Germ Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Nature's Gate Condish....

Coconut oil

Damn this thread! I went to the Whole Foods near my house and bought the AO Honeysuckle Rose and a bottle of Knot Today.

What would I buy from Whole Foods??? ( or What do I buy from Whole Foods? :look:)

Aloe Vera Inner Fillet
Wheat Germ Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Nature's Gate Condish....

Coconut oil

ooooooh yes, :grin::grin::grin: i forgot abut those ... they also have red palm oil, rosewater, avocados, flax seeds, coconut milk, msm ... just about anything you'd need to make your own products as well. between them & trader joe's you can stay stocked:)

Okay ladies I brought the AUBREY GPB in Rosemary Peppermint, Knot Today, Coconut Oil and some Henna.
I came home and put the Aubrey in my daughter hair and me and her both loved the smell. I will let u ladies know how it turns out in the morning.

If you decide to buy AO GPB, buy it from Vitamin Shoppe b/c they sell it for a little under $9. At Whole Foods, you'll pay nearly $20 for it.

Back