Who still gets their hair DONE?

itismehmmkay

I'm going to go ahead and start getting it done by pros :yep:

Recently I did a mini rant about how I was tired of doing my own, but then went right back to daily washing. While DW works, I'm going to start using it as a secondary option.

I'm basically going to go to my Dominican blow-out lady every 2weeks for a rollerset (maybe blowdry) then let her put a retouch on every 8weeks (every 4th trip). Oh and did I mention her prices: $15 for rollerset/blow, $25 for retouch. I usually give $20 for the r/b and $40 for the retouch to include tips. That still balls down to ~$50/month average on my hair. Not bad. :up:

What are ya'll doing and spending?

I'm scared of too much heat so i'm thinking i will get a Keratin treatment and blow out about every 4 to 6 months ($180 aka $30 a month). Maybe one or two roller sets with blow dried roots in-between ($20). Theres no point in doing my hair without the Keratin b/c it reverts in minutes, so if the economic crisis gets bad, it will be NO salon visits and my handy AT HOME flatiron for special occasions.

I am thinking about starting to get my hair set in a salon on a weekly basis. I am just not sure how long the whole routine will last.

I'm usually a DIY'er (relaxer and all) but since I got my hair cut in a layered bob, I go to the stylist.

For me, it made no sense to go weekly or bi-weekly because I did nothing but go straight home and wrap it for bed anyway, so I just go only when I need a touch up and if a need a trim.

No one styles my hair better than me so why pay someone to do sub par work? :grin:

If I let my hair grow long again, I'll probably keep going just for touch ups (every 6-8 weeks).

All in all, I pay $65 for my almost bi-monthly visits.

I have a schedule... When I get a fresh perm.. I will do my hair for the first 4 weeks... then alternate weeks there after to get hair done professionally...

As my hair grows in... I hate dealing with the new growth, and tend to have more breakage than a little, so I let someone else do it to prevent all the breakage...

On the weeks that I do it myself.... I will do some curls/ wet ponys/etc, to prevent me from combing....

I have a schedule... When I get a fresh perm.. I will do my hair for the first 4 weeks... then alternate weeks there after to get hair done professionally...

As my hair grows in... I hate dealing with the new growth, and tend to have more breakage than a little, so I let someone else do it to prevent all the breakage...

On the weeks that I do it myself.... I will do some curls/ wet ponys/etc, to prevent me from combing....

That's interesting... when I have a lot of new growth is EXACTLY when I DON'T want a stylist in my hair. They either pressure you to get a touch-up or they rake the fine-toothed comb through your hair to demonstrate that you need a touch-up.

I go for touch-ups only every 10-15 weeks. I do everything else myself.

^^^Thats the thing I don't wait that long anymore, so it is usually a tame amount... Usually going the 5th & 7th weeks for W&S, then getting a perm on 9th week...

I am no stretcher... I realized my hair grows in tooo quickly to try and stretch till the 10th week.... if I do, the perm will not take as much, because it will starting burning and all I want is it OUT...

The last time I got a touch-up (6 weeks ago) the stylist was cracking up because I based my own scalp. She looked at it and said wow... you really based your scalp. My relaxer came out beautifully and I didn't have scab in sight!

I'm going to go ahead and start getting it done by pros :yep:

Recently I did a mini rant about how I was tired of doing my own, but then went right back to daily washing. While DW works, I'm going to start using it as a secondary option.

I'm basically going to go to my Dominican blow-out lady every 2weeks for a rollerset (maybe blowdry) then let her put a retouch on every 8weeks (every 4th trip). Oh and did I mention her prices: $15 for rollerset/blow, $25 for retouch. I usually give $20 for the r/b and $40 for the retouch to include tips. That still balls down to ~$50/month average on my hair. Not bad. :up:

What are ya'll doing and spending?

Wow, those are great prices! I can't get away with spending any less than $45 plus tip on a press and curl, which will only last me a good week, hence my long braid stretch...I'll just be going into the salon for special occasions...with specific intstructions!

I only go to my stylist for touch-ups and trims. She is a god-send and mostly all of her clients have APL and longer hair.

She is the first AA stylist that I've met in my life time that actually gives a trim instead of a cut...she can differentiate between the two! Now I know why her clientele has long, healthy hair:yep:!

Side note - be careful with the frequent dominican blowouts. It's possible to suffer from some side effects; such as, thinning and moisture loss due to the heat from the blow dryer and tugging on the roots.

That's interesting... when I have a lot of new growth is EXACTLY when I DON'T want a stylist in my hair. They either pressure you to get a touch-up or they rake the fine-toothed comb through your hair to demonstrate that you need a touch-up.

I go for touch-ups only every 10-15 weeks. I do everything else myself.

I co-sign on the bolded!

I usually only go to a stylist for a touch-up, but I had my aunt do my last one because of money issues... :look: Other than that I Style my own hair most of the time. I am thinking about getting my hair rollerset occasionally, though since there is a non-dominican salon near my house that does rollersets for $10

I currently get my hair done every other week. my beautician only charges 25 for sets and 35 for a touchup which i get ever 8-12 weeks so it isn't expensive.

i visit my stylist for a wash/set every other week and a relaxer every 6 weeks. i just don't have the time, energy, or patience to do my own hair.

I still go to the salon, even though I did it myself for the first time last month. It took five to six hours, but I was told that I did a good job. :superbanana:

I go every 3-4 months only for touch ups. Besides that I am self styled with my own rollersets, I do my own braids, weaves the works.

I just started going to the dominican salon on a weekly basis starting in August. Prior to that I was on and off for years. I acquired more responsibility (and pay) this summer, among other things. So I decided to make this will be my must have pampering, besides, I can't handle my ng after five weeks. No complaints, I like my stylist, she listens to me, and I am very cautious about what they do.

Back