Who relaxes their hair every 4-5 weeks?

taz007

Lately, I have been getting 3/4 - 1 inch of new growth per month. My hair is VERY coarse and fairly thick.

I am currently 5 weeks post and things are starting to get out of control.:wallbash:

How do you keep your hair healthy?

Wow, your hair is really pretty. I wish I had some thick hair like that!

I never relaxed regularly before this year, I would do it maybe once or twice a year. Since January I've been doing it every 12 weeks.

My hair only grows about .5 inch a month so, I don't get as much as you.

well first congrats that sounds like a great growth rate according to what I see on here.
I don't measure mine, so I don't know mine, but I get a lot of new growth fast too and my hair is also super coarse and thick. I've never relaxed that often (4-5 weeks) in my lifetime, but I've been considering it. I know some people do it successfully. I think Denise11 does.
sylver2 on here has some good stretching tips on her fotki.
I also read on here a lot that it is good to keep your NG moisturized.

well first congrats that sounds like a great growth rate according to what I see on here.
I don't measure mine, so I don't know mine, but I get a lot of new growth fast too and my hair is also super coarse and thick. I've never relaxed that often (4-5 weeks) in my lifetime, but I've been considering it. I know some people do it successfully. I think Denise11 does.
sylver2 on here has some good stretching tips on her fotki.
I also read on here a lot that it is good to keep your NG moisturized.

How often do you relax? How do you tame the new growth?

Wow, your hair is really pretty. I wish I had some thick hair like that!

I never relaxed regularly before this year, I would do it maybe once or twice a year. Since January I've been doing it every 12 weeks.

My hair only grows about .5 inch a month so, I don't get as much as you.

Thank you!:grin:

I wish I could relax twice a year!

I used to relax regularly like that ~every 5 weeks because my hair alos grows about 3/4 inch per month. But then i noticed my hairline was getting weak and receding in some spots, so i try to stretch it out longer. It easier to stretch if you DC and keep your hair moisturized, especially the NG.

How often do you relax? How do you tame the new growth?

For me it's always been at least 8 weeks.
I've done 10 weeks and once like 12
but I have trouble taming it

I'm just learning how to tame new growth
the scarf method works wonders for keeping it flat (after you wash, apply your leave in then put a scarf on around the top, you ng stays flat like that)
also moisturizing the inside new growth helps tame it
but it's hard for me to reach back there....it's literally a jungle in there after 4 weeks

DCing also helps tame NG

But I still don't know if I'll ever be able to do those super long stretches....

Last edited:
i relax every month. i texlax one month, then relax the next month, with comb or finger smoothing. i try to add protein after two weeks... and my hair hates it. then i use lustra silk shea butter cholesterol, and jojoba oil, every day, bun, braid or ponytail.

For me it's always been at least 8 weeks.
I've done 10 weeks and once like 12
but I have trouble taming it

I'm just learning how to tame new growth
the scarf method works wonders for keeping it flat (after you wash, apply your leave in then put a scarf on around the top, you ng stays flat like that)
also moisturizing the inside new growth helps tame it
but it's hard for me to reach back there....it's literally a jungle in there after 4 weeks

DCing also helps tame NG

But I still don't know if I'll ever be able to do those super long stretches....

When it starts getting out of control, why don't you think about puttin in a sew-in, braids, or a half wig so you can forget about it for a couple weeks?

The point of stretching is to avoid overlapping. If you have an inch of newgrowth after 4 weeks, I doubt you'll have problems with overprocessing :)

(Me and my slow growing hair hate you! j/k :lol: ..... Kinda :look: )

Nahh......I use to be a 4-6 weeker (max) that was because my hair was cut in a Rhianna type short bob and to keep things nice & neat that's how I rolled.:look:

Now......after suffering a major setback with Salon overprocessing, overlapping and poor neutralization, I am Now a DIY.

And am now Stretching 12-14 weeks and me & my hair couldn't be more Happier! YAY! Honestly, My Hair is Sooooooooo much better.:yep:

My Ultimate Goal now is to Relax no more than 3-4 times a year. So, I keep my NG Super Moisturized and Well Cared For and keep a weekly good Deep Conditioning Regimen.

I also have heavy/coarse/thick fairly fast growing hair. Or at least, it "use to be" :look:

But I guess we'll have to see how I recover from this Harrific Tragedy.:nono:

Frequent Cowashing is helpful.
You could also try getting braids of something to get you over the hump and stretch for 6 or 7 weeks

OP, I am sooooooooo where you are right now!!! After my touch-up I even think I'll add pics to my siggy---not sure I want DH all in the bizness though...

Honestly, I am soooooooo frustrated with it that I will either switch relaxers (back to Affirm, great relaxer, but I lose all wash and go ability and my hair is "thinner"---like the strands aren't as thick--I currently use Design Essentials)
OR I will go back to blowdrying my hair from wet--the way my Detroit people do it...

I am 84.56712% sure it's all new growth and not just crinkled roots from the rollersets...but it may also just be the relaxer---i'm babbling, but the rest of my hair seems super straight, it's just these THHHHHHHHHHHHHHICk, COOOOOOOAAAAAARSE roots that are getting to me....

My hair is growing, but if I can't do anything with it...what's the point!?!? I like you OP hope to be BSL by Winter-ish '09---but I do NOT want to be jacked only 3-4 weeks after a touch-up (I go every 6 weeks b/c no matter what relaxer 7-8 weeks is madness)

Hmm...I wonder if my cinnamon, peppermint oil kitchen sink scalp treatment is 1) making my hair revert or 2) really impacting growth?!?!

ETA: Maybe my stylist is not combing it through correctly...I think I just sit for the allotted time...maybe I need to have them work it through??....

Last edited:
OP, I am sooooooooo where you are right now!!! After my touch-up I even think I'll add pics to my siggy---not sure I want DH all in the bizness though...

Honestly, I am soooooooo frustrated with it that I will either switch relaxers (back to Affirm, great relaxer, but I lose all wash and go ability and my hair is "thinner"---like the strands aren't as thick--I currently use Design Essentials)
OR I will go back to blowdrying my hair from wet--the way my Detroit people do it...

I am 84.56712% sure it's all new growth and not just crinkled roots from the rollersets...but it may also just be the relaxer---i'm babbling, but the rest of my hair seems super straight, it's just these THHHHHHHHHHHHHHICk, COOOOOOOAAAAAARSE roots that are getting to me....

My hair is growing, but if I can't do anything with it...what's the point!?!? I like you OP hope to be BSL by Winter-ish '09---but I do NOT want to be jacked only 3-4 weeks after a touch-up (I go every 6 weeks b/c no matter what relaxer 7-8 weeks is madness)

Hmm...I wonder if my cinnamon, peppermint oil kitchen sink scalp treatment is 1) making my hair revert or 2) really impacting growth?!?!

ETA: Maybe my stylist is not combing it through correctly...I think I just sit for the allotted time...maybe I need to have them work it through??....
The bolded is the TRUTH!

Are you my hair twin??!! You just described my hair to a 'T'!

I DC EVERY week with steam, mind you. My NG is like: :hardslap:

When it starts getting out of control, why don't you think about puttin in a sew-in, braids, or a half wig so you can forget about it for a couple weeks?

Hmm, well, I can't do weaves or wigs for personal reasons

But braids probably really help. I should start considering that.

The bolded is the TRUTH!

Are you my hair twin??!! You just described my hair to a 'T'!

I DC EVERY week with steam, mind you. My NG is like: :hardslap:

AHAHAAHAHA, laughing hysterically at the bolded!!!!

I'm still not comfortable relaxing in less than 6 weeks... I think my stylist needs to work my relaxer through? (Self relaxers, does it matter???) I also need to give up this Noodle Head condish...it's "moisturizing" but i'm probably just encouraging my NG to coil...:nono:

In the meantime...I'm going to get a serious moisturizing condish--but I need to balance it with protein b/c my hair HATES too much moisture (it breaks as I comb, roller set, wrap, eat, breathe, sit)...

I've been researching and perhaps more moisture in my hair in general would help b/c it is a lil dry right now--shiny as ever, but dry.

I've been using Silicon Mix, which gives my hair nice swang, but isn't really detangling or anything and is mostly protein in my opinion. I'm going to buy a new shampoo (been using Proclaim Aloe).

I am going to check out
Poo:
-Aveda's Damage Control and Dry Remedy
-Elucence
-Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
-Elasta QP Creme

Con:
-Kenra
- Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm

[/b]

AHAHAAHAHA, laughing hysterically at the bolded!!!!

I'm still not comfortable relaxing in less than 6 weeks... I think my stylist needs to work my relaxer through? (Self relaxers, does it matter???) I also need to give up this Noodle Head condish...it's "moisturizing" but i'm probably just encouraging my NG to coil...:nono:

In the meantime...I'm going to get a serious moisturizing condish--but I need to balance it with protein b/c my hair HATES too much moisture (it breaks as I comb, roller set, wrap, eat, breathe, sit)...

I've been researching and perhaps more moisture in my hair in general would help b/c it is a lil dry right now--shiny as ever, but dry.

I've been using Silicon Mix, which gives my hair nice swang, but isn't really detangling or anything and is mostly protein in my opinion. I'm going to buy a new shampoo (been using Proclaim Aloe).

I am going to check out
Poo:
-Aveda's Damage Control and Dry Remedy
-Elucence
-Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
-Elasta QP Creme

Con:
-Kenra
- Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm

Exactly!! (@ the bolded)

Use the Joico line exclusively which gives me the perfect balance.

I self relax in two sections. I leave the relaxer in for 20 minutes. The final 5-8 minutes, I smooth with a rat tailed comb. So I know that it is all new growth.

I will definitely stick it out for two more weeks by doing braid outs. But man ....:nono:

Last edited:
I relaxed every 4-5 weeks. I got .5 inches of NG pre LHCF/growth aides; since I've been using growth aides I get 3/4-1inch. I struggled with thick NG until I realized how seriously I had to moisturize. I found one that worked for me and I applied it just like I applied a relaxer to the NG. I really had to apply a thick layer of it---every other day! I also found that MSM softened my NG. Doing that helped me do my first and only 7 week stretch.
HTH

I relaxed every 4-5 weeks. I got .5 inches of NG pre LHCF/growth aides; since I've been using growth aides I get 3/4-1inch. I struggled with thick NG until I realized how seriously I had to moisturize. I found one that worked for me and I applied it just like I applied a relaxer to the NG. I really had to apply a thick layer of it---every other day! I also found that MSM softened my NG. Doing that helped me do my first and only 7 week stretch.
HTH

Ohh, I am going to try that! Thanks LaidBak!!!:yep:

Chiming in. In the past I had to relax every 4-5 weeks. If I didn't I swear I had a lot of breakage and pain (tenderheaded). Now I texlax, when stretching I've made it past 6 weeks but that was only with low-manipulation.

Ohh, I am going to try that! Thanks LaidBak!!!:yep:

No problem. I hope it works for you. The moisturizer I use is Ellin Lavar penetrating balm. I have no buildup issues with this product. (Yay!) When my NG is thick I can go through and entire tube in like 4 uses. But it has to be done or I'll have demarcation line breakage.

Oh! I also sprayed a liquid leave in directly onto the scalp/NG if I thought it was dry prior to applying the balm. I used Pantene light spray conditioner.

Using this method I never had to use a flat iron on my NG.

I do sometimes if I have a good growt spurt. My hair grew an inch last month, and I wasn't about to wrestle with that NG.

Back