Who likes to layer leave-ins???

Divine Inspiration

Ok so I got this idea when I was corresponding with Carlita in her thread about Moisture vs. Slip. She was mentioning that she's loving the leave-ins and I told her that I do too, and last time I checked, Sylver2 liked to apply 2 or 3 leave-ins as well.

So I know that I start out with something liquid (i.e. Elasta QP H-Two, Giovanni's Vitapro Fusion) and then add something creamy (i.e. Rusk Smoother, Giovanni Direct), then I top that off with an oil (jojoba oil, WGO), and sometimes I'll add a serum to the ends to seal them (i.e. NTM Healing Shine Serum or Giovanni Shine of the Times). I layer them because one never seems to be enough. I don't have build up or "weighed down" hair as a result. I like for my hair to be kind of "heavy" if that makes sense ( :confused: ) so it will hang/lay in place. It still has body and movement, but it's not this puffy cloud of frizz. When I don't layer the leave-ins, my hair can get SOOOOOOO big and unruly (think Lisa Bonet circa 1993) and that just ain't cute on me. :(

So I was wondering who else likes to layer leave-ins and what's your reason for doing so?

I've never tried layering my leave-ins...:scratchch It seems like the leave-ins would need to be compatible, right?

I like to layer leave ins too. I always start lacio. Recently it's been, Lacio, then MNT conditioner, then NTM (maybe), then Kemi Oyl.

I think... that you should find one that works well... it's kind of a waste to use two products when one good one can do the job.

I used to layer leave-ins when I found that one didn't do the job.

Porsche19 said:
I think... that you should find one that works well... it's kind of a waste to use two products when one good one can do the job.

I used to layer leave-ins when I found that one didn't do the job.

For me, different leave-ins serve different purposes and I don't layer religously...probably 75% of the time.
For instance, for me, Elasta's H-Two is a detangler. The bottle says it's a leave-in and detangler, but I use it solely for detangling purposes. The actual "leave-in" in my regimen is Giovanni Direct and the oil follows to seal in the moisture. I have legitimate (IMO) purposes for each product so I don't consider it a waste b/c I like the results.

I do know ladies who use 3 or 4 of the same kind of product though (i.e. layering Rusk, Giovanni Direct, Lacio Lacio, and Salerm 21) and when I first heard of that I was like :confused: and I thought that was a waste too, but once I understood the process of airdrying 4a thick hair, I TOTALLY knew where those ladies where comin from...

To each her own, I suppose :look:

Isis said:
I've never tried layering my leave-ins...:scratchch It seems like the leave-ins would need to be compatible, right?

This is an interesting thought. I think it's trial and error. The only time my liquid and cream were from the same line was with Giovanni's Vitapro and Direct Leave-In. I haven't had any adverse reactions from using Elasta QP and Rusk together, and I sent Carlita some EQP H-Two and she did the same thing and loved the results...

I think it's trial and error and largely depends on how big or un-big ( :lol: ) you prefer your hair to be...

I was thinking of doing that but talked myself out of it due to my PJ-ism :ohwell:
But now that I see others share my logic, I will go ahead and do it!

Hey... this "hair" thing should be fun, right?

I apply 3 products as leave-ins. First is Motions Nourish Leave-In, then NTM Silk Touch Leave-In Cream, and lastly WGHO to the roots and rest of hair. I might also put a little NTM Healing Shine Serum on the ends while they are still damp.

I do it and so far have had no adverse results, but one of the main reasons I do is to make my hair more manageable while it's wet. I start with a leave in that also detangles. (Surge 14 OR I have used Infusion OR Mane n Tale detangler) Then I use the creamy one because I have found that since using it, it makes my hair a lot softer when it dries. I could def. tell the difference from when I only used the liquid. Since finding this site, (reading Sylver's album), I started using Rusk Smoother even though it was hard as heck to find!!! I use WGO on my scalp and jojoba oil on my ends and I can dramatically tell the difference in how my hair feels when it dries....Really soft and bouncy. I was a little skeptical at first because the texture of my hair if very fine and while I want it to look thick, I don't want to weigh it down. The very time I used all these products, I was praying that I wouldn't have to go back and shampoo all over again just to get all the product out...:D

I have been very happy layerin..

This is a great thread.

I also layer, but thought I was the only one. The more product the better my hair behaves all week.

Wet Hair Leave ins
1. Elucence MB Conditioner [creamy leave in]
2. Keracare Foam Wrap Set [liquid leave in]

Dry Hair Leave ins
1. QP Elasta Recovery
2. BB Super Lite
3. QP Elasta Mango Butter

NoNapNique said:
I was thinking of doing that but talked myself out of it due to my PJ-ism :ohwell:
But now that I see others share my logic, I will go ahead and do it!

Hey... this "hair" thing should be fun, right?

That's right!! With all the discipline it takes to give it the care it needs, you deserve a little fun every now and then! :up:

I layer leave-ins! the main reason is that i HATE detangling my hair (my least favorite part in this whole journey) so I need stuff that makes the job easier for me.

Back then, I'd use Infusium to detangle, and follow with Hask Placenta for the real leave in.

Now I'm using/will use Hask Placenta for rollersets, and Rusk Smoother as the creamy leave-in.
There are times when I over do it, but I have the Htwo and Infusium still here and I dont know where to add them in. It might be too much protein. I might just stop using them b/c i'm trying to keep my regimen simple, or keep them for a while as back ups :look:

I thought about adding a serum to my ends so that they dont frizz up when I'm airdrying... I might do that, hehe.

There this heat protectant called "Sebastians Shaper Blow Out Thermal Body Boost" that i used to blowdry... i'm wondering if I could use it as a creamy leave-in as well. it softens up my hair very nicely. I just read the ingredients, NO CONES! Rusk Smoother has cones though but it leaves my hair soft:)

OK so I'm not crazy! I use mango butter or Profectiv Breakfree topped with WGO of Profectiv Megamoisturizer. My comb floats thru my 4/4b hair!
In between washing, I alternate days using the combos. I spritz with water first.

Layering leave in is very popular I have seen white stylist do it with curly hair. They use 3-4 different products just to get the hair under control.

I like to layer mines (pm super skinny serum & pm foaming pomade) why? because the serum allows my hair to dry in half the time that it normaly should, and the foaming pomade adds a nice sheen to my hair and gives it a soft hold.

Divine Inspiration said:
Ok so I got this idea when I was corresponding with Carlita in her thread about Moisture vs. Slip. She was mentioning that she's loving the leave-ins and I told her that I do too, and last time I checked, Sylver2 liked to apply 2 or 3 leave-ins as well.

So I know that I start out with something liquid (i.e. Elasta QP H-Two, Giovanni's Vitapro Fusion) and then add something creamy (i.e. Rusk Smoother, Giovanni Direct), then I top that off with an oil (jojoba oil, WGO), and sometimes I'll add a serum to the ends to seal them (i.e. NTM Healing Shine Serum or Giovanni Shine of the Times). I layer them because one never seems to be enough. I don't have build up or "weighed down" hair as a result. I like for my hair to be kind of "heavy" if that makes sense ( :confused: ) so it will hang/lay in place. It still has body and movement, but it's not this puffy cloud of frizz. When I don't layer the leave-ins, my hair can get SOOOOOOO big and unruly (think Lisa Bonet circa 1993) and that just ain't cute on me. :(

So I was wondering who else likes to layer leave-ins and what's your reason for doing so?

YES!!
Its gotten to the point where I CANNOT live w/o my leave ins..lol.
My hair is soo thick and poofy like. I don't like that on myself. I like it to be sleek, controlled.
Let me see.. so far I use
John Frieda Friizz ease serum
Rusk Smoother leave in
Lacio Lacio leave in
NTM silk touch leave in
and
NTM serum
All in one washing/styling.

I love to layer my leave-ins

Usually, if I'm going to airdry, I use:
- NTM Leave-In
- WGO
- Frizz-ease
- Isoplus Wrap Lotion

I'm I'm using my head dryer, I just use Isoplus and NTM Leave-in, though last time I added Elasta's Silk Themal Design Liquid as well and it came out good. I wasn't sure if the Isopoplus had heat protectant in it.

Also, if my hair needs a little boost of strength, I'll add Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructer. It smells great as my hair dries.

I also like layering.....:) I'll start with Designs Essentials Leave in Conditioner in the cream formula, then the spray leave in blow dry lotion, then Keracare silken seal for the shine. My next wash I'll be trying the WGHO. :D

I've been layering my leave-in's for a while and it's working out really well. I use two creamy leave-ins, serum & a liquid leave-in as my setting agent. I love how silky and shiny my hair is after rollersetting. I can't keep my hands out of my hair now. :lol:

Back