Who Has Modified Their Regime With Better Results

Nanyanika

Great Results After Jazzing-up Regime!!!!!

Just curious:

1. What things have you've changed about your regime? ie products, conditioners, moisturisers.
2. How is it working for you?
3. Are you receiving better results? i.e. health, thickness, growth

i've stopped shampooing so often and try to avoid sulfates. I conditioner wash almost daily, surge and moisturise twice a day. I shampoo/deep condition once a week using less expensive but effective products. I currently use better styling tools due to my arrival of the K-cutter and bone combs, thanks to LaNecia. I've found that my breakage issues have considerably subsided after a few trims. Before this regime change I used to comb my hair dry, i don't anymore as it just causes breakage. i always soak my hair with my homemade conditioner mixture before combing and i find that my hair detangles so easily. its early days yet, but I hope I continue to be happy with my regime.

Oh i've also produced a little site, detailing my regime, the link is in my signature.

Last edited:
Re: Great Results After Jazzing-up Regime!!!!!

I brush less. I have cut out a lot of my old products though.

Im washing my hair a lot less-- every 5 days to be exact. It is thriving and is a lot less dry. Now it has a nice shine to it.

WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THIS BEFORE ?????? :(

buffalosoldier said:
Im washing my hair a lot less-- every 5 days to be exact. It is thriving and is a lot less dry. Now it has a nice shine to it.

Daily washing/rinsing did not work for me either. Neither did no heat. I need moderate amounts of heat to help my hair.

den1 said:
1. What things have you've changed about your regime? ie products, conditioners, moisturisers.
I was doing the no-poo method but I don't think my hair was benefiting from it. Yes, my hair would feel good from doing co-washes but I would use products on my hair during the week, and I know that the "no-poo" method will cause build-up for someone who doesn't wash almost everyday and use a lot of products.
So I just found an EXCELLENT shampoo for my hair... Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (Just washed my hair with it a minute ago!!!) :up: It's great! I'm also in the process of getting rid of and using up products I have so I can use just ALL Elasta QP products. Check out my journal for more details. ;)
This month, I decided to be more consistent with my regime as far as washing, conditioning, and moisturizing my hair. But I will alternate with the hair style I wear each week. I've decided to add protein treatment back into my regime (Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum) and today, I bought a wig that doesn't look too fake that I feel comfortable wearing. So I will incorporate wearing the wig.
When I washed my hair today, I noticed my hair has grown significantly. It's in-between the top of my shoulderblades, but I know it's longer since I have shrinkage from 6.5 months of new growth! :grin: So far with this regime, my hair has been healthier and feels more moisturized and softer. No more dry, breaking hair! :woot:

Last edited:
I modified my regimen by CO washing daily, but I still shampoo once a week. I have been CO washing daily for the last month. I ditched my cream leave-ins (Nexxus Headress and NTM Silk-Touch) about 3 days ago and now just do Infusium 23 Leave-In and Vatika Oil on damp hair. I will go back to the Headress after tomorrow's wash, because I find my hair is a lot better with it, although the Vatika Oil does leave my hair soft.

I stopped trying to wear my hair down with 2+ inches of new growth...it just doesn't look right, and I can only tie my scarf so tight to lay my hair down before I get a headache. I let it air dry hanging down because it dries faster, but after its dry, it goes right into a protective style until the next day's wash.

I do my hot oil treatments on shampoo day after my protein reconstructor and moisturizing conditioner to give slip to my hair instead of before my shampoo. I brush my hair lightly once a day to distribute oils.

seems like the less I do the better it grows. I think I have had a recent little growth spurt and I'm thinking its cause I havent been doing ANYTHING with it, other than throwing products in it and putting it up. Just did a Conditioner wash yesterday and it seemed longer. strange. Ive been really lazy with it lately too.

karezone said:
Daily washing/rinsing did not work for me either. Neither did no heat. I need moderate amounts of heat to help my hair.

This is interesting....how did your hair react when you tried no heat method? and what diffrence has moderate heat made to your hair. I noticed that when i have my hair professionally straightened its not as dry, but when i airdried my texturized hair in the past my hair used to dry hard.

buffalosoldier said:

Maybe its to do with what products you use to wash the hair with.

Co-washes do tend to work for those who wash hair regularly, and don't add too many products to hair such as oils, silicone based stuff, gels. Would you say Elasta QP Products are your staples for hair care? How often do you wash your hair currently? Your regime has done wonders because thriving so much. Well done your such inspiration.

Poohbear said:
I was doing the no-poo method but I don't think my hair was benefiting from it. Yes, my hair would feel good from doing co-washes but I would use products on my hair during the week, and I know that the "no-poo" method will cause build-up for someone who doesn't wash almost everyday and use a lot of products.
So I just found an EXCELLENT shampoo for my hair... Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (Just washed my hair with it a minute ago!!!) :up: It's great! I'm also in the process of getting rid of and using up products I have so I can use just ALL Elasta QP products. Check out my journal for more details. ;)
This month, I decided to be more consistent with my regime as far as washing, conditioning, and moisturizing my hair. But I will alternate with the hair style I wear each week. I've decided to add protein treatment back into my regime (Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum) and today, I bought a wig that doesn't look too fake that I feel comfortable wearing. So I will incorporate wearing the wig.
When I washed my hair today, I noticed my hair has grown significantly. It's in-between my shoulderblades, but I know it's longer since I have shrinkage from 6.5 months of new growth! :grin: So far with this regime, my hair has been healthier and feels more moisturized and softer. No more dry, breaking hair! :woot:

YAour regime sounds quite similar to mine. Have you noticed any extra growth, thickness since CO washing daily?

Jewell said:
I modified my regimen by CO washing daily, but I still shampoo once a week. I have been CO washing daily for the last month. I ditched my cream leave-ins (Nexxus Headress and NTM Silk-Touch) about 3 days ago and now just do Infusium 23 Leave-In and Vatika Oil on damp hair. I will go back to the Headress after tomorrow's wash, because I find my hair is a lot better with it, although the Vatika Oil does leave my hair soft.

I stopped trying to wear my hair down with 2+ inches of new growth...it just doesn't look right, and I can only tie my scarf so tight to lay my hair down before I get a headache. I let it air dry hanging down because it dries faster, but after its dry, it goes right into a protective style until the next day's wash.

I do my hot oil treatments on shampoo day after my protein reconstructor and moisturizing conditioner to give slip to my hair instead of before my shampoo. I brush my hair lightly once a day to distribute oils.

DITTO!!! Less usually means more, for me. When i leave my hair alone in protective styles and just add moisture, it seems to grow-out faster and healthier.

Irresistible said:
seems like the less I do the better it grows. I think I have had a recent little growth spurt and I'm thinking its cause I havent been doing ANYTHING with it, other than throwing products in it and putting it up. Just did a Conditioner wash yesterday and it seemed longer. strange. Ive been really lazy with it lately too.

den1 said:
Co-washes do tend to work for those who wash hair regularly, and don't add too many products to hair such as oils, silicone based stuff, gels. Would you say Elasta QP Products are your staples for hair care? How often do you wash your hair currently? Your regime has done wonders because thriving so much. Well done your such inspiration.
Yes, I'm going to make Elasta QP my staple products! I wash my hair once a week. ;)

Thanks for replying!!! I can't wait to read your updates next week on the Speedy Growth challenge for transitioners, sounds like your doing extremely well.

Poohbear said:
Yes, I'm going to make Elasta QP my staple products! I wash my hair once a week. ;)

I started washing and deep conditioning every week, hot oil treatment when i want to make new growth more manageable, using less heat, when i dry my hair i sit under the dryer until my hair is half way dry, doing more roller sets, avoiding chemicals like petroleum and mineral oil, using shampoo without sulfate in it (It makes your hair feel more moisturized when the shampoo does not have sulfates in them), and using shea butter as daily moisturizer.

den1 said:
Just curious:

1. When I joined LHCF my hair was in a damaged / almost severely damaged state--I immediately started doing rollersets with wrapps. Now my hair has gone to a different but very good stage of--thriving--wanting to grow and stay healthy. In rotation right now are Joico Shampoo for damaged hair, Goldwell Color Care Shampoo, Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, Loreal Color Vive Conditioner and NTM products.

2. Working great so far---I have even started using the blow dryer again with no fear-- no lost strands of hair! I never ever thought I would buy any Biolage Products. Biolage was recommended to me at ULTA to take my hair into and beyond the next level of growth and beautiful hair.--I think this is it!!! Finally I can move out of Product Junkie City!!! Yeah

3. My hair is growing---It is thicker--ULTRA HAIR Thick Shake & Naturemade Super B Complex plus Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Creme.

Den1: I have noticed increased growth since doing my daily CO washes. When I used to shampoo every 2 days, I noticed I had very fast growth, as compared to shampooing once a week. I would still be shampooing that often, but I noticed a white buildup on my scalp (I was shampooing with Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo and Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo). My hair was in the best shape its ever been in, but my scalp was acting up.

In the next few weeks, I will be finishing up my old conditioners like Aussie 3 Min Reconstructor, Loreal Vive Smooth Intense, Aussie Moist, NTM Mask, Physique Deep Hydrating Conditoner, Africa's Best Hair Mayo, Citre Shine Reconstructing Conditioner, etc. I gave a lot of my products to my mom and sisters. I have found what works, and I'm making it a point to be consistent! Then I'll be able to enjoy my Nexxus without the guilt of having other products to get rid of!

Great thread, Den! And your hair continues to be gawgeous!

I did a couple of things. I stopped using wildly expensive products as they did not work on my hair. I have a few staple products, many of them from the drugstore, and a few "high-end" products that do work for my hair, and that's it. My experimentation days are largely over. I also went back to the best leave-in conditioner I personally have ever used - Bumble & Bumble's Leave In (Rinse Out) conditioner, and I decided to stop going to the Dominican salon every week. I didn't get a blowout every week, but I felt my hair was becoming too thin, and since I cut out the salon and started doing it at home, I've gotten a lot more thickness and less breakage.

Fantastic. I touched up last weeks after 9 weeks (I'm stretching each time I touch up. I used to go every six weeks. Then every seven. Then every eight. Now I'm up to nine!) When I got it done, even the hairdresser was shocked at how long and healthy it has gotten. I believe that if I keep up my regime, I will be below bra strap by October.

Yep, yep and yep. My new growth was managable and I received much less breakage than I had previously. I think I owe much of that to the ORS Olive Oil conditioner and my ION bonnet hair dryer!

OE

Jewell thanks for your wonderful reply, this is exactly why I’m sticking with co washes, to increase moisture and growth. Like you, I also have a whole batch of shampoos to use up…elasta qps, Nexxus, keracare, pantene, elucence and nioxin. I hope to be consistent with my regime after getting rid of products as the result of my Pjism, and spending less.

Jewell said:
Den1: I have noticed increased growth since doing my daily CO washes. When I used to shampoo every 2 days, I noticed I had very fast growth, as compared to shampooing once a week. I would still be shampooing that often, but I noticed a white buildup on my scalp (I was shampooing with Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo and Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo). My hair was in the best shape its ever been in, but my scalp was acting up.

In the next few weeks, I will be finishing up my old conditioners like Aussie 3 Min Reconstructor, Loreal Vive Smooth Intense, Aussie Moist, NTM Mask, Physique Deep Hydrating Conditoner, Africa's Best Hair Mayo, Citre Shine Reconstructing Conditioner, etc. I gave a lot of my products to my mom and sisters. I have found what works, and I'm making it a point to be consistent! Then I'll be able to enjoy my Nexxus without the guilt of having other products to get rid of!

Hi Onlyerin,
Thanks for the compliments!!!
A lot of the high priced products I was using, wrecked havoc on my hair, I’ve used redken, deep brilliance, biolage,LUST, some of nexus/keracare stuff all of which made my hair either, tangled, coated dry. The only ones i liked were eluence, keracare humecto. Like you, stretching relaxers really helped with the thickness and health of my hair and most of all I stopped going to hair stylists for chemical treatments

OnlyErin said:
Great thread, Den! And your hair continues to be gawgeous!

I did a couple of things. I stopped using wildly expensive products as they did not work on my hair. I have a few staple products, many of them from the drugstore, and a few "high-end" products that do work for my hair, and that's it. My experimentation days are largely over. I also went back to the best leave-in conditioner I personally have ever used - Bumble & Bumble's Leave In (Rinse Out) conditioner, and I decided to stop going to the Dominican salon every week. I didn't get a blowout every week, but I felt my hair was becoming too thin, and since I cut out the salon and started doing it at home, I've gotten a lot more thickness and less breakage.

Fantastic. I touched up last weeks after 9 weeks (I'm stretching each time I touch up. I used to go every six weeks. Then every seven. Then every eight. Now I'm up to nine!) When I got it done, even the hairdresser was shocked at how long and healthy it has gotten. I believe that if I keep up my regime, I will be below bra strap by October.

Yep, yep and yep. My new growth was managable and I received much less breakage than I had previously. I think I owe much of that to the ORS Olive Oil conditioner and my ION bonnet hair dryer!

OE

den1 said:
This is interesting....how did your hair react when you tried no heat method? and what diffrence has moderate heat made to your hair. I noticed that when i have my hair professionally straightened its not as dry, but when i airdried my texturized hair in the past my hair used to dry hard.

My hair was dry, frizzy, and broke more. It looked a mess. I assumed that the cuticle was still open and that lowering the pH of my hair would help. So I did ACV rinses, no change. I then started either rollersetting or wet wrapping and flat ironing. Although I only do it once a week, my hair does not break as easily, dries smooth, and at least appears moisturized. And all of this was done using the same exact products.

It just goes to show you that not all hair is the same.

karezone said:
My hair was dry, frizzy, and broke more. It looked a mess. I assumed that the cuticle was still open and that lowering the pH of my hair would help. So I did ACV rinses, no change. I then started either rollersetting or wet wrapping and flat ironing. Although I only do it once a week, my hair does not break as easily, dries smooth, and at least appears moisturized. And all of this was done using the same exact products.

It just goes to show you that not all hair is the same.

Thanks for answering my questions!!1

Back