White Salons...cutting/trimming

ms_kenesha

I remember Cocoabutterfly saying and Webby just said that they get their hair cut or trimmed at a white salon. I have a guess as for why, more precision cutting, but is that the reason or is there another. Also, when you go do you let them cut wet or dry?

Thanks in advance,
ms_k

I used to go to white salons RELIGIOUSLY for trims before moving to Chicago. I used to love going to white people because it seemed like they listened more since they are dealing with a texture different than their own so they are more OPEN and RECEPTIVE to our needs. I used to get my hair trimmed dry ( straight or even air dried). They would ask me what I wanted done and I remember they would ask me if I wanted it evened or just trimmed. They would not assume that I was looking for even hair! Ive always had great experience with the chain cutteries like Supercuts, Hair Cuttery and Borics. i have frequented all three. Look on their websites for coupons and specials!!!

I've only ever gone to a white salon..and have only had a white person ever do my hair..cutting and highlights.. except for this past Oct. when I went to that Egyptian salon and she just blowdried and flat ironed my hair.. I'm 34..so I've been going to a white salon for a LONG time.. this is the place I go to now: http://salonblonde.com/intro.html one of the owners..Dawn..(who is the cousin to one of my girlfriends) cuts my hair..she's really good.. she's been written up in Elle, and mags like that..:) She did my BC..:lol:

Oh yah, ETA: I get my haircut on wet hair..but now that my hair is natural..curly.. that might change..

Last edited:
I do my cuts and trimmings at a white salon only, though I can't remember if they do it on wet or dry hair...hmm, if I remember I'll let you know. Anyway, I go to the white salons because from my experience they do a better job. I feel they are more used to dealing with healthy heads of hair than black stylists are. Their primary focus is appearance and health, which I feel is not always the case with black salons.

Thanks for posting this Ms_K. I'm becoming a self relaxer, but I'm not ready to take on trimming too. I may check out some white salons for the next time I need a trim.

I go to a white salon and have a stylist who specializes in curly hair. She cuts my hair curly... been seeing her for four years!

I've only had my hair cut at a white salon once and was shocked when the stylist cut off exactly as much as I had asked her to. She trimmed my hair when it was dry.

I do my own trims now but I went to SuperCuts for a couple of years about three times a year. This was after I stopped going to the 'fancier' types of salons I was used to for most of my life (mostly Black, but some 'mixed') because I didn't feel those stylists could be trusted. At the SuperCuts salons around here, most of the stylists are white, but I did have a Black stylist there once.

As Chaya mentioned, the stylists at places like SuperCuts seem to be more concerned about giving you exactly what you've asked for, rather than recklessly cutting off all your hair. The fact that it only costs $12 (here) for much better service is fabulous, too.

For a basic trim, I prefer to have my hair cut while it is dry and I always wore it straight when having it done. One thing that is important if you want your hair cut while dry is to be sure to tell stylists not to spray it before they trim it, especially if they are white. One time a white woman started spraying my hair with water and I told her she had to stop because it would make my hair wavy and full and she wouldn't be able to cut it accurately. She looked confused and said it had to be damp for her to trim it :ohwell:, but she put the water away and did a good job. So, just keep an eye on what they are doing to make sure they know how to handle your hair. :yep:

Last edited:
MsK, I go to a white salon for a dusting, because the stylists are not usually scissor happy, especially when they themselves have long hair.

When I did my BC I only had chin length hair and the stylist did not want to cut my hair. She kept saying, "Are you sure?"

I do NOT allow them to wash my hair; I get a dry dusting.
However, if I want a super clean bob, I go to a higher end salon and allow them to cut while my hair is wet.

My mother has very long hair and she has only ever gone to white salons and she has been doing that for 25 yrs and she is in her 50s. She says that the do EXACTLY what you tell them to do. There is no variation.

yeah I go to white salons for my trims also but if I go to get like a short pixie do I go to a black salon. Fom trims and layers I got to the white salons....I like them because they ask questions like how much do you want cut.....1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 and then whatever you say thats what they cut. I like that and the fact that it is twelve dollars helps too.

So do you just go in one day and have them only trim your hair, or do they wash and flat iron or blow dry then trim.

I've always wanted to try one of these places. I think I may go now. Do you ask for a trim or a dust? Are they the same thing?

Hmmm... I may go to a white salon when I'm ready to chop off my relaxed hair! There are a lot of SuperCuts in Louisville, KY! I've never been a salon goerb ut I might go to one for my big chop or I'll get my Mom or Aunt in Michigan (who transitioned to natural) to do it! ;)

I don't go to a white salon, I go to a black salon but my stylist there is white. I have been going to her faithfully for 4-5 years and she always trims my hair exactly to my specifications.

I also will see a white stylist for cutting if given a choice - same reason....they do what you say. :)

My last hair cut was given by a white cosmetology student she did a great job. I had a whole lot of new growth so she cut it dry. I need to buy myself a new pair of shears, mine are getting dull so that I can trim my splits.

SplashAtl said:
So do you just go in one day and have them only trim your hair, or do they wash and flat iron or blow dry then trim.

I've always wanted to try one of these places. I think I may go now. Do you ask for a trim or a dust? Are they the same thing?

Yeah I just walk in and ask for a trim that is 1/8 of an inch. I think white stylist like to have a clear image of what you want so I just say 1/8 so they can visualize what I want. I usually go when my hair is freshly pooed.

I rec'd my most recent trim from a white stylist at Fantastic Sam's. I was going to go to a black stylist but she didn't want to do my hair. I'm glad I went to white stylist--she trimmed my hair exatly the way I wanted. I probably be seeing her again next week. I plan shampooing and straightening my hair before I get there.

I only get my hair trimmed at a white salon also. To me they do a better job and when you say trim they just trim they don't cut or wack off your hair. Now don't get me wrong I'm pretty sure there are some black stylist who just trim your hair they way you want it, but i haven't found one yet.

Very interesting... :scratchch I may go to a white salon for my next trim. I'm paying for it, so I want exactly what I want!

I was thinking about going to Fantastic Sams for my next real trim in may. I have about an inch that needs to come off, but I want to do it gradually because length means more to me than perfect ends (unless they look horrible). I don't trust my beautician to only dust. It's going to either be a large chain hair cutting place or my mother who will trim my hair in may.

sorry I just saw this... it was for precision and when it was cut it fell better which then had it looking fuller... I have gone to some black stylist for cuts that I've loved and they were all trained to cut by Aveda and they even said I tend to cut hair more like white stylest do (angling cuts) and so I got the fullness and precision I desired... Also At the white salons if I said cut 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch thats what was cut nothing more nothing less.... They always cut my hair dry and they even suggested that since my hair is naturally curly/coily

CocoaButterflyy said:
sorry I just saw this... it was for precision and when it was cut it fell better which then had it looking fuller... I have gone to some black stylist for cuts that I've loved and they were all trained to cut by Aveda and they even said I tend to cut hair more like white stylest do (angling cuts) and so I got the fullness and precision I desired... Also At the white salons if I said cut 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch thats what was cut nothing more nothing less.... They always cut my hair dry and they even suggested that since my hair is naturally curly/coily

same here. I go to master cuts though :)

CocoaButterflyy said:

Haven't been in a while, but before my last trim in October (only hairdresser I trust is in NC and I happened to be down there), I went to Super Cuts. I just straighten my hair myself and go for the trim. They do it dry and are usually pretty good with not taking off more than you ask.

It's quick and inexpensive.

I've had my best trims and cuts at a white salon in Cherry Hill, PA. ;)
I discovered this salon one day because I desperately needed a hair cut, and did not have the opportunity to visit my regular salon in Houston because of a busy work and travel schedule. :look:

I was surprisingly amazed at the results. I remember the stylist name was Kimberly and she was not intimidated by black hair (I am 4b/c). I was on a work assignment in Cherry Hills for 1.5 years and this was the only stylist I would let cut my hair. I remember my regular hair dresser in Houston was a little upset because I preferred to let a white stylist cut my hair.

O.k Sorry for just now posting but this is the first time I have seen this thread! I'm sorry all my black stylist, but I myself prefer to only go to white stylist to get a cut or trim. As the others said they listen! I have had a problem with black stylist who don't know how to cut layers (my friend says she has three layers and I tell her when you cut layers there is no such thing is sections). On her head you can liiterally see three layers so it is not continous. I have been to Headstart, MasterCuts (stop going there b/c they now have alot of black stylist), and Fantastic Sams. It is more of merely an opinoin but I just like the results better and tend to get more compliments when I get my hair cut by whites. I do know a real good black stylist in the Huntsville, AL area named C. Lewis (a man) who is also good at cutting!!!!!!!!!!!! That's who did my hair in my avatar!!!!

I have been on the "no trim challenge" but I can't take this anymore. My ends are really thin and I can't just hang on to them any longer. Now that I know I can achieve long hair, I will worry about actually getting long hair later. I think I'm going to try a SuperCuts today during my lunch. I want my hair to look healthy when it's dry like Westerneyes and Webby. I will post pictures later. :weird:

Last edited:
CocoaButterflyy said:

This is exactly what I want. I've had a couple of black women stylists who had long hair themselves who knew how to do dustings (but their relaxer techniques almost left me bald). The woman I go to now has super-short hair and I think it is jealousy that makes her cut 2" after promising to trim only 1/2". From now on, I think I'll seek out white stylists for trims.

I only went to a salon once with the sole purpose of getting a trim and it was done with my hair being straight and dry. Other times I involuntarily was given a trim or was bullied into getting one. I think this gives me a sour taste in my mouth for these types of salons. I know that there are a million trillion good stylist out there but many of us seem to find the bad ones. The ones who try to convince us that they know what is best for you without really knowing any prior knowledge of your regime or your hair needs and dont realize or care about the way you want your hair to look or your goals.

I want to try a stylist that if I do decide to get a trim they won't leave me bald or assume something that was never implied. As CHAYA mentioned I dont want my hair evened out...which is what 100% of the stylist do. And that is not what I am looking for. I just want a trim. And most stylist believe evening it out is the same as given a trim when its not. And a trim should only be a teeny tiny bit of hair. Not 2-5 inches. I would love to find a stylist who would be able to respect my wishes in terms of trimming. Are all SuperCUTS good? I know of one on Broadway but I have never went in there to get any services done. God bless you all.

Back