White people love natural hair

tru4reele

Am I the only one that notices how much white people LOVE natural hair? I am all natural and wear my hair straight a lot. I will wear my hair in a big puff every once in a while. When I do I get so many compliments and questions from my white co workers. Like "Oooh I love ur hair like that?" "Can I touch ur hair?" (:nono:) and "You should wear ur hair like that more often." I do get compliments from black people but I get more from whites. So I now I find myself wearing it curly more often. I've only been natural for like 20 mo. so it's taken time to get used to. IDK it's just odd to me. I wonder why they fawn over it so much. What do u guys think?

I think they have very little to no exposure to Afro-textured hair. Let's face it, black people of any gender or nationality have it growing out of their heads so while it's cute it's no enigma.

White people, the good majority, may have only seen it a few times and never been allowed to touch it. It's fascinating and new for them.

Hell, if I saw someone with roses growing out of their scalp I'd be dying to touch it too.

This particular thread is started every month OP. No shade, there are just plenty of threads like this as recent as two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

^^^Really? Didn't know that. I guess this is common then. I'm not really on here that consistently.

Hey tru4reele,

Glad you are having positive experiences with your natural hair. And I do know what you mean about their interest. Its unfamiliar to them. Their hair doesn't look like ours or feel like ours and can't do the same things as ours. So its fascinating.

I have twists in pulled back in a bun. And to me its a nothing hairstyle. Its what I do when I don't want to be bothered. But my coworker said I like when you wear your hair in the twistee thingee (I don't remember what she said). To me its nothing because I do it all the time. But to her, she's never twisted her hair or probably worn her hair other than straight. So I can see how they can be fascinated.

I love when white people or even black men try to describe my hair style. To be honest most black women aren't too much better :lol: The whole going natural thing is just an experience.

Keep on enjoying

Not enough to be happy if it were on their own head :ohwell:.

I think they are just fascinated by what is different from them.

Just like I see a some white women with hair that's on point and I complement them, but I wouldn't want their hair on my head. :nono:

I was thinking the same thing. I can like something, be fascinated with something and not want it for myself.

Somethings just look better on other people :lol:

I have had white women try to copy my puff. One curly haired chick took her ponytail and tucked the ends under her hair band to make her curly ponytail resemble a puff. :lol: Another put her hair in a ponytail and teased it to give it a bit of poof. It looked cute. I was amused by their efforts.

I think that we as blacks should embrace our features because they are ours and unique to us. We shouldn't look for acceptance or validation from others.

^^^
I think (for me), it was more shock than anything. I straightened my hair for so many years for myself and partly because I didn't think anyone liked a head full of nappy hair. If WE don't like our own hair, surely no one else could.

I just wore my hair down yesterday for the first time and got the same sort of thing. I had a hard time explaining why I don't leave it down everyday in a way they'd get. I mean how do you explain protectively styling to a white person? And one person that touched it was like, "oh I thought it would be hard but it's not." I'm like how do I respond to that?

I was engaged to a guy from Tunisia about 15 years ago. We we didn't get married. Long story..I wasn't ready blah, blah. Back then my hair was big, thick and all natural. He loved him some kinky love..umm hair. When it was out he would squeeze it, try to ruffle it somehow and it would spring back out! It drove him wild!

White people don't all love the same things, just like we don't all love the same things. To generalize them (even when it's a positive thing), makes it ok for them to generalize us (which is often done in a negative way). They are all individuals, just like we are.

One of my best friends is white (he LOVES sistah's though) and he always tells me how beautiful he thinks it is. He cannot STAND weaves with a passion, and wishes more sistahs would love the hair they have...he always makes comments here and there.

But I agree...no one can be generalized!

Last edited:
y'all giving them to much credit. some of it is genuine "love", some of it is admiration/appreciation, some of it is interest in that which is novel, framed by a cultural lack of familiarity and pc-ness (if they don't like it, they're not gonna call you out like a black person would bc they are not our "skinfolk"; if they're amused by it, they'll call it "cool" or say that they love it)

I mean how do you explain protectively styling to a white person? And one person that touched it was like, "oh I thought it would be hard but it's not." I'm like how do I respond to that?

1 - I like to protect my hair by not wearing it down often.
2- It's hair; all hair is soft.

There is some truth to that. I currently wear my dark brown hair relaxed between SL and APL, but my license still has a photo of me sporting a big blonde afro puff. Whenever I pull my ID out at a bar or the airport, people of all races--but especially white people--comment on the puff and say I should have kept it. Go figure. :ohwell:

I walked into the office with an especially full bodied wash & go one day and was told I was "working it".... To which I replied :huh: and was told "Your hair! You go girl!!".... To which I replied "Thanks...:look:"

I'm not natural, BTW. I'm lightly texlaxed... But poofy ethnic hair is all the same to them :lol:

Sent from my iPhone.

Back