Which Works Better for Slicking Edges Down?

vtoodler

When it comes to laying down edges, which do you prefer: edge controls (such as ORS or Design Essentials) or standard gels (like Ecostyler)?

And why?
Please answer only if you have used both.

On another note, do you not find that gels tend to flake more, not slick edges down as well, dry the hair out, require more product, and last for a shorter period of time?

Also, what do you think of the following video (see below) comparing gels to edge controls? Do you agree with the vlogger's comments? Or do you disagree; if you disagree, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzRP_zCw3A

Last edited:
i use eco styler because it defines my new growth and waves it, i might stop using it because the other day it flaked for some reason had me looking like i had light dandruff! i had moisturized and sealed before applying it like usual. i might go back to curls control paste at sallys again, it laid edges well and was shiny but i believe 8 dollars for a small jar. they have a new control paste out that's blue i forgot the name

i didn't like edge control because it was greasy and sweated out in the summer. i would go out with sleek edges and a hour later my neck would be greasy from it melting from my nape and edges not laid anymore

When it comes to laying down edges, which do you prefer: edge controls (such as ORS or Design Essentials) or standard gels (like Ecostyler)?

And why?
Please answer only if you have used both.

On another note, do you not find that gels tend to flake more, not slick edges down as well, dry the hair out, require more product, and last for a shorter period of time?

Also, what do you think of the following video (see below) comparing gels to edge controls? Do you agree with the vlogger's comments? Or do you disagree; if you disagree, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzRP_zCw3A

I have used both. I personally like the way the edge controls make my edges extra slick. Most of them don't give lasting results though. I currently use Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste because it smells good, gives a good soft hold that lasts at least half the day. Ecostyler and what not is good too, but sometimes I don't want that hard gel feel on my edges.

^I heard that Design Essentials Edge Control lasts much longer than other edge controls.
I just ordered it online over the weekend.

Last edited:
I prefer gels because they are easier to spread over the hair, unlike waxy edge controls. Plus I like the sleeker look gels give me. However, I disliked Ecostyler (green & clear), Fantasia IC, most standard gels...my favorite is actually a protein gel by Softee. This brand in general makes gels that work the best for my hair.

vtoodler

I'm a gel lover myself. Edge controls only work on my straight or rollerset hair. Other then that I'm a gel girl. My favorites are Afroveda Pur Whipped Hair Jelly (HG) and Eco Styler Pink Gel for Curls and Waves.

I didn't like ecostyler. I prefer Carol's Daughter Macadamia Hold & Control. I used it a lot when I was natural. I went dampen my edges with water, apply a LITTLE BIT (or it gets waxy) then wrap with a scarf for 5-10 min for a sleek look.

I don't like gels. I always feel like they gunk my hair up. I like Dr miracles edge control. It keeps my hair down nicely and l have 4c texture. I have tried ors and didn't like it. I only really use them near wash day though.

I didn't like ecostyler. I prefer Carol's Daughter Macadamia Hold & Control. I used it a lot when I was natural. I went dampen my edges with water, apply a LITTLE BIT (or it gets waxy) then wrap with a scarf for 5-10 min for a sleek look.
This is exactly what I do. I LOVE CD Macadamia Hold & Control.. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back