Naturals, edges that aren't slicked down= unkempt?

I will not wear a bun or ponytail if my edges are not slicked down.
I do not think fuzzy edges look polished, just my honest opinion.

I slick mine down but all it takes is aloe and a scarf for 5 minutes. On other people.. Fuzzy curly edges are cute but I don't like that look on me. I feel as though the style isn't complete.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF ~I love this app!

I've concluded that my edges will NEVER slick down unless I want to end up bald or with alopecia. I like my curly baby hairs

For me it also depends on the hair.

A big, donut-style bun on say, TBL 3a hair with unslicked edges is not going to look like the tuck-bun I make on my SL transitioning 4b hair with unslicked edges. Since my hairs are so short and coily, if I do not ambush them with EcoStyler and a scarf I look like I got electrocuted.

But I personally have always thought the wild-edge look on little girls is adorable. For an adult at work though, it looks bummy.

I have never been able to slick down my edges, not with gel, wax, pomade....nothing. I have 4b/c hair i would like to learn how. I like both looks but i'm sad i can only do one. :-(

I sometimes wonder how women slick down their edges. My hairline never looks this tidy unless my hair has been flat-ironed.

How is this done?

end-of-summer-is-fast-approaching-im.jpg

Or this (link to blog post)? Click the picture to enlarge. There is not a single hair out of place!

This is my hairline, exactamundo. Even when my hair is straightened, my edges still curl up and lay/lie this way. I get comments on this all the time.
I don't even try to fight it, i let it do what it do. (always wanted to say that, lol)
*Shrugs

thank you sipp100, I guess I never looked at it like that :lol:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll after flat ironig silk wrapping really helps flattens my edges and they stay that way if I wrap my hair up...

Before
2dsqnbs.jpg

Wrap
261f3fb.jpg

After, what annoys me is they stay in this foward direction and kinda hurt when I try to brush em up, or wrap:perplexed
o9ib0h.jpg

Not necessarily. If someone has really broken off edges, it can look a bit unkempt. I will use myself as an example:

brokenoffedges.jpg

Edges are jacked the hell up here from box braids using my own hair that I wore for over a month. I guess it was all the tension around my edges. Doesn't look cute.

Most of the time I slick my hair back with a little aloe vera gel and my satin scarf:

slickback.jpg

slickback2.jpg

I have the forehead imprint to prove it :D

I prefer the smoothed down look on myself...but I see ladies on the forum and the un-slicked look looks nice...

I sometimes wonder how women slick down their edges. My hairline never looks this tidy unless my hair has been flat-ironed.

How is this done?

end-of-summer-is-fast-approaching-im.jpg

Or this (link to blog post)? Click the picture to enlarge. There is not a single hair out of place!

Mine looks like this. But I've noticed that even if it looks perfectly slicked down from a distance in the mirror I still have little strays sticking up all over the place. I can't get them to stay down no matter how much gel and water I use. I just let them be. :nono: Strangely my hair line looks better slicked down in it's natural state than when it's straight. I always have to keep blasting it with the blowdryer to keep the wayward edges down.

CIMG0211.jpg

Last edited:
Mine looks like this. But I've noticed that even if it looks perfectly slicked down from a distance in the mirror I still have little strays sticking up all over the place. I can't get them to stay down no matter how much gel and water I use. I just let them be. :nono: Strangely my hair line looks better slicked down in it's natural state than when it's straight. I always have to keep blasting it with the blowdryer to keep the wayward edges down.

CIMG0211.jpg

Bolded = that's me!

Extremely close-up those buggers start to creepin'. Only my little creepies are gray! YUCK!

IMAG04711.jpg

Personally, I prefer my edges to be slicked/smoothed down when I wear certain updos--buns, french rolls etc...it looks more polished than a big halo of frizz.

Yup, I like my edges "laid" not necessarily "slick". So as long as they're flat against my head, I'm happy :) Water, Castor oil OR mango butter, and a scarf will accomplish that for me without having to apply tension. My pet peeve is frizzy or "not laid" edges, at least on my own head.

i think ppl r a bit overzealous with slick backed edges--im always thinking for goodness sake..let the edges breathe--lmaoooo

honestly i brush mine back but if they go astray so be it--lol

Maybe I need to clarify. My edges do slick very easily, but they curl/wave up just as easily - if I even think of perspiring or come near humidity, the 'curlies' are comin' back. I could be the 'baby hair' queen if I wanted to, my heavenz!

We might be hair twins Amoreofcurls, because I am totally with you - your pics look very close to my hair, and so does the pic of your wrap, complete with the soreness after edges being wrapped.

If I want straight edges, particularly if I'm bunning, I just dampen my hair, wrap it for 5 minutes or so and I'm good to go - no gel needed (or liked). But, like others stated above, depending on the style, sometimes I like them to be super curly - I love love love big, ole' messy buns!

I haven't been slicking my edges back lately....I've pretty much stopped wearing puffs.

I do wash n go's and all i do when I'm done is literally "wipe" my baby hairs to the sides and they stay all day!

I don't think it looks unkempt, but for me it depends on the style. I've been bunning for the last month, and I use Ecostyler, not just for my edges but to slick my hair back, period, so that I can pull it all neatly into a bun. If I wear a twistout puff I may or may not slick my edges back, I like it when it looks a little less neat and more natural.

If edges are always forced down, won't it weaken them?:ohwell:

I think that depends on the method and products you use. If you use a hard brush and strong hold crispy-type-with- alcohol gel, then yes. Using things like aloe vera/flaxseed gel, shea butter, castor oil eco styler and using very soft brushes and or the scarf method put very little stress on the baby hairs. Also, what weakens edges are tightly pulled buns. Edges can be layed down nicely with the scarf method without pulling the hair tight, just like how ms-gg does.

OMG ms-gg your hair is just :drool:

I personally like my edges layed down but not necessarily slicked tight. I just think it looks neater.

It depends on the style. I find that both can work, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Non slicked down edges and messy buns looks quite good if it's intentional, I don't believe it's unkempt.

I like controlled edges I use to think they need to be slick. But now I just want them to look controlled and healthy.

Back