Which flat iron would keep hair the healthiest?

Mocha Princess

Hey ladies, I'm looking into buying the Solia 1'' flat iron because I've heard good things about it. I've also looked into the Sedu, and the new FHI platform series flat iron, but I'm so torn between the 3 and need help picking the one that's gonna keep my hair the healthiest. I would like to know what any of your experiences have been with any of the 3, and if any of them have dried, burned, split, or damaged your hair in any way. Also, if you have any other suggestions for good flat irons please let me know. And by "good," I mean, ones that won't fry the hair as much as others, and ones that will keep the hair in as healthy of a condition as possible. I have 4b hair so whoever has had good results with any particular iron with my hair type, that would be even more helpful. Thanks.

I have a Sedu and I'm a 4a natural. It would probably work great on relaxed hair. I loved it at first and don't feel that I've suffered any damage from it, however, unless it's my technique it just doesn't flat iron the best anymore....I've had it for maybe a year and a half and I think it's wearing out.

My hair reverts very quickly using this iron (it didn't use to) on high heat. But if I flat iron with an old run of the mill non-ceramic iron my hair holds up so well (on medium heat). I'm collar bone length currently (well I think I am- but I'm hiding my hair until Dec so I'm not sure).

The Sedu is a great iron but if I had it to do over again I would probably go with another brand for my natural hair. Something that would last longer and give me the same results as when I first purchased it.

No burning or damage to the hair though...lightweight and easy to use.

I have not tried all of them to tell the difference, but my FHI has been great.

I have not tried the new FHI platform series flat iron but it is too expensive for me right now. That one will be so cheap this time next year, so I am going to wait.

Ladies, thanks for your replies!:) MizaniMami, how long have you had your sedu, and would you say that it keeps your hair moisturized? Does your hair shine a lot after using it?

Mocha Princess said:
Ladies, thanks for your replies!:) MizaniMami, how long have you had your sedu, and would you say that it keeps your hair moisturized? Does your hair shine a lot after using it?

It will be a year in November that i have had my Sedu. I love that thing so much. The thing about the sedu is it gets my hair so shiny because the smoothness that it does. It's like it lays the cuticle very flat and straight. With NO snagging at all. I have a picture in my fotki of my hair right after hitting it the with sedu. My hair be swinging all over the place.

I don't know if it is safe to say this here, but I have even had white girls come up to me and ask what kind of iron that I use. :grin: But I contribute some of that to my technique, I'm goooood.:D

MizaniMami OMG, I checked out for fotki, and your hair looked amazing!!! :eek: It looked good enough to eat, no lie! :lol: So, I saw the picture of you after the Mizani relaxer and the ADR treatment, did you use the sedu that time too, or was it that straight and beautiful just from the relaxer? Anyway, your hair looked extremely healthy, I admire your hair. I called folica, and whenever I ask them which iron I should get between the solia and the sedu, they always tell me the solia! :perplexed To be honest thought, I'm so sold on the sedu because everyone I see that has used it has the most healthy looking hair ever!! Now I'm confused because I wonder why they keep pushing me to get the solia. I'm leaning more toward the sedu, but my only problem is that I'm texlaxed, and when I say texlaxed, I mean it. My hair is in no way straight at all! :confused: I have fine 4b hair when relaxed, but it's extremely thick in its natural state. Do you think this iron will get my hair straight? I'm tellin you, I originally ordered an FHI platform iron b/c of what people said about it, but didn't end up liking it at all. :nono: I thought it was because I putting too large of pieces of hair in the iron, but I actually had to set that thing on 450 to get it to do anything. I don't know if that was my negligence, or what, but I was dissapointed because I thought I would be able to get my hair straight at a lower temp., but apparently not. I need some reassurance so I want to know what you think. Sorry this is so long! :ohwell:

Mocha Princess said:
MizaniMami OMG, I checked out for fotki, and your hair looked amazing!!! :eek: It looked good enough to eat, no lie! :lol: So, I saw the picture of you after the Mizani relaxer and the ADR treatment, did you use the sedu that time too, or was it that straight and beautiful just from the relaxer? Anyway, your hair looked extremely healthy, I admire your hair. I called folica, and whenever I ask them which iron I should get between the solia and the sedu, they always tell me the solia! :perplexed To be honest thought, I'm so sold on the sedu because everyone I see that has used it has the most healthy looking hair ever!! Now I'm confused because I wonder why they keep pushing me to get the solia. I'm leaning more toward the sedu, but my only problem is that I'm texlaxed, and when I say texlaxed, I mean it. My hair is in no way straight at all! :confused: I have fine 4b hair when relaxed, but it's extremely thick in its natural state. Do you think this iron will get my hair straight? I'm tellin you, I originally ordered an FHI platform iron b/c of what people said about it, but didn't end up liking it at all. :nono: I thought it was because I putting too large of pieces of hair in the iron, but I actually had to set that thing on 450 to get it to do anything. I don't know if that was my negligence, or what, but I was dissapointed because I thought I would be able to get my hair straight at a lower temp., but apparently not. I need some reassurance so I want to know what you think. Sorry this is so long! :ohwell:

Thank you girl. After I relaxed in that picture I DID use my Sedu. I feel lucky to have it.

Maybe they suggested the solia to you because the outside of the sedu because hot to the touch. So basicly you have to be a one handed flat-ironer. A lot of ppl have trouble flat ironing with one hand but it is an easy adjustment for me.

The thing about the sedu is the way the plates are made. They are made so flat so that there is little to No snagging which I love. I don't know. This seeems to be a hard decision. But folica.com has a very good return policy so I am sure you can return which ever one if you don't like it. I would go with the cheaper first.

My sedu is the bomb, I have had mine for two years now and it still works wonders, lol.

This is a great post. Maybe my Sedu doesn't flat iron as well because I don't blow dry my hair to death like I used to? I'm a 4a natural and the blow dryer was killing my hair (breaking it off). So I think it's important to blow dry really straight in order to flat iron your hair straight without using a pressing comb.

I still love my Sedu and I did try the Chi before this. Sedu won hands down.

lana said:
This is a great post. Maybe my Sedu doesn't flat iron as well because I don't blow dry my hair to death like I used to? I'm a 4a natural and the blow dryer was killing my hair (breaking it off). So I think it's important to blow dry really straight in order to flat iron your hair straight without using a pressing comb.

I still love my Sedu and I did try the Chi before this. Sedu won hands down.

So does it not straighten your hair very good? My hair stylist uses the chi on me, and it gets my texlaxed hair pin straight; I dunno, maybe because although my hair is thick in the natural state, it's kinda fine when straightened. If you say the Sedu was better than the Chi, then I know the Sedu should get my hair straight, ummm hopefully.:look: I'm goin crazy right now but I'm excited though, I think I'm gettin me a Sedu ladies!! :grin: Dang, I'm so indecisive!:wallbash: I hope I'm makin the right choice! If not, then I'll just send it back for the Solia, right? :perplexed I figure that since the Solia is so cheap, (not quality wise but price wise) that I'll just buy that one too if I want. :eyebrows2

lana said:
I have a Sedu and I'm a 4a natural. It would probably work great on relaxed hair. I loved it at first and don't feel that I've suffered any damage from it, however, unless it's my technique it just doesn't flat iron the best anymore....I've had it for maybe a year and a half and I think it's wearing out.

My hair reverts very quickly using this iron (it didn't use to) on high heat. But if I flat iron with an old run of the mill non-ceramic iron my hair holds up so well (on medium heat). I'm collar bone length currently (well I think I am- but I'm hiding my hair until Dec so I'm not sure).

The Sedu is a great iron but if I had it to do over again I would probably go with another brand for my natural hair. Something that would last longer and give me the same results as when I first purchased it.

No burning or damage to the hair though...lightweight and easy to use.

It definitely wears out. I had two, one for travel and one for home and after a year I started noticing that my hair reverted under adverse weather conditions. I thought it was hair products but it didn't matter. Right now I'm using the ION from Sally's but am still in search of a second iron. It's really a shame because the Sedu worked so well, initially......

I love my solia 1 inch iron. It is great especially when you have a lot of new growth . I don't use it that often as I wear my bun 75% of the time.

I just bought an FHI Platform off of Ebay brand new for $63.00 + shipping. I'm so excited and I sure can't wait to use it. I'll keep you ladies updated to let you know how it makes my hair look.

Well, ladies I finally got the FHI Platform iron and I must say that it is very nice. Sometime tomorrow afternoon I will be posting pics of the FHI Platfrom Iron w/results - before and after pictures of my daughter and I.

My daughter has very thick coarse curly hair and is natural. I took one small section to test it out and oh, my goodness my daughter's hair is very pretty and very long. So, I will update you all soon with pics for you to see.

Back