Where/How do you serve?

inthepink

I signed up to serve at my new church!!

Not that I've never served before or even signed up but I feel this time like it's more of a commitment and I'm excited about it.

I sent an email through the website to help with communion and also to help type notes for the pastor.

This morning I heard back already from the communion leader. We are going to meet for coffee this week.

Usually, I've just helped out here or there with things at church, but nothing that was a regular commitment so this will be a first. It will be on a quarterly basis so I'd still have time to do other things if I want.

There's a singles ministry that I would consider helpiing out with also.

What ways have you served at church? What do you enjoy? Do you tend to move around to do something new every year?

If you aren't serving right now, you can still answer. Where would you like to serve?

Last edited:
Hi, hairlove!

I'm not serving in a ministry at my new church right now; at my old church I was a Sunday School teacher and an Ersher but this time around, I don't have the conviction. God's dealing with me on serving in the soul-winning ministry or the affordable housing ministry. A lot of the ministries at my church require commitment of time that I can't afford, but I want to agree with God on the right ministry for me, that will put my spiritual gifts to good use.

Still, we all "serve" in some way...no matter how small we think it is -- whether it is talking to someone about Christ; picking up a piece of trash on the church grounds, instead of passing it by; Helping the elderly brothers and sisters out the door or to their seats. :)

Hi, hairlove!

I'm not serving in a ministry at my new church right now; at my old church I was a Sunday School teacher and an Ersher but this time around, I don't have the conviction. God's dealing with me on serving in the soul-winning ministry or the affordable housing ministry. A lot of the ministries at my church require commitment of time that I can't afford, but I want to agree with God on the right ministry for me, that will put my spiritual gifts to good use.

Still, we all "serve" in some way...no matter how small we think it is -- whether it is talking to someone about Christ; picking up a piece of trash on the church grounds, instead of passing it by; Helping the elderly brothers and sisters out the door or to their seats. :)

That's right! And my thread wasn't started to call anyone out in any way!

I've been afraid of the commitment quite a lot b/c I do have a busy life - I have a long commute for work which, unfortunately takes a lot of my time - so I do have to be careful in what I sign up for b/c I would hate to have to break a commitment that's really important.

So, I think it's smart that you are sitting back and taking some time to determine where you should be.

I really want to host a bible study for women in my home sometime. I've always wanted to do this but the right time/opportunity hasn't yet come up. I am sure it will one day. :yep:

At my old church I served in the women ministry, single's ministry and on the hospitality committee. For me I have to be careful however, that I don't over work. Right now as I prayerful look for a new church home one of the first things I look for (after the word) is what ministries do they have that I can serve. I am a worker so I work. I am lost without serving. I don't know if that sounds right but that is what I am. In being such people will try to over work me until I learned the word "NO"

:) Well I didn't take your question personally. I'm just saying sometimes we think we're not doing anything to serve God but we are. I think it's good to take thought and pray about what ministry to serve in. God will guide us to what fits us best. There's nothing like an Ersher who is rude and not humble... LOL

I think the Bible study group is a good thing to start up. :)

Last edited:
So true at the bolded. My favorite saying is " Know your calling work your calling"

:) Well I didn't take your question personally. I'm just saying sometimes we think we're not doing anything to serve God but we are. I think it's good to take thought and pray about what ministry to serve in. God will guide us to what fits us best. There's nothing like an Ersher who is rude and not humble... LOL

Oh absolutely! I didn't see it as that. It just reminded that I didn't want other to think that. So sorry, if it came off as if I directed it to you in light of your post. :)

I always feel like it takes me a long time to determine where I want to serve. I know at once church, I signed up for things at different point in times but no one would ever contact me like they said they would - well, not till 6-8 months later and by then I'd left the church!

I don't think serving communion is my spiritual gift per se, but I just wanted to get started in something while I evaluate. I am still not sure where I should really be.

Right now at my church I do community outreach. Now I want to go into Womens Ministry. I wanted to go into Prison Ministry however, I am going into Women's Ministry.

There's this Ersher that's so aggressive with folks they call her the Nazi Usher. .. lol... Everyone may have a different perspective about the same thing, but it really is a turn off to get treated harshly, esp if you're a visitor and don't know the church. How would I as a vistor know I can't sit there and that that those seats are reserved for the praise team? LOL. There are times being humble is essential, and that's one of those times.

I just think if people rush to do things they're not called to do, they won't serve effectively and unfortunately, can turn people away from a blessing. It behooves us to find out what our gifts are first before serving and committing ourselves to serve, simply because that's what we want to do.

So true at the bolded. My favorite saying is " Know your calling work your calling"

I work with the children and donate towards their needs for now. I was thinking of becoming a greeter but backed out. I don't want to miss the serve smiling and hugging random folks.

I signed up to serve at my new church!!
I think thats wonderful, I just made the decision to join my new church and when I do serve it will probably be in ministry - teaching classes. I think that will be where I fit in the most but not sure yet, it was suggested to me and I been thinking about it. I just dont' have much patience with people. I will also sing on the praise team. So I am so excited looking forward to it. You got a great point. I need to be serving in a way that makes me accountable. Something I avoid but I love going to service I can't wait for the weekend to begin just so I can get there on time.

There's this Ersher that's so aggressive with folks they call her the Nazi Usher. .. lol... Everyone may have a different perspective about the same thing, but it really is a turn off to get treated harshly, esp if you're a visitor and don't know the church. How would I as a vistor know I can't sit there and that that those seats are reserved for the praise team? LOL. There are times being humble is essential, and that's one of those times.

I just think if people rush to do things they're not called to do, they won't serve effectively and unfortunately, can turn people away from a blessing. It behooves us to find out what our gifts are first before serving and committing ourselves to serve, simply because that's what we want to do.

This is a good point - in some ministries more than others. I was turned off by a church that I attended where the greeters seemed to turn their back when I walked up. Whether it was shyness I don't know - but if they weren't "feeling" like greeting everyone, then it was probably the wrong ministry for them.

I've experienced the "being told I was doing something wrong when new" thing when I attended a bible study once. There were no assigned seats from one week to the next but of course, everyone became territorial. I was new and the first week, I was with a group of much older women so the next week, I took a look around and sat with the group of younger women I saw. Instead of greeting me and welcoming me into the group, they told me that I didn't sit there last week. Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

I serve on the coffee team at my Church. It's a really big church and it's a great opportunity to get to meet with people, talk to them, get to know them, love them, and make them feel a part of the family. We only serve before and after each service when people are buzzing around/waiting around. It's awesome.

I use to teach in the nursery. I enjoyed it. I made it fun for the kids and made sure it wasn't just a time of babysitting. We had age appropriate activities and I would usually bring my kid's Bible and read a story and then have the kids participate in discussion about the story. They loved Jonah and the stories about Jesus healing people.

Now I am on the Dance ministry. I like it. I wanted to find more ways to praise God and dance was a good fit. I want to start a single parent's ministry, and have received the go-ahead from my pastor. . .I've just been soooo busy with regular life, work, kids and now school, that I don't want to start something I can't fully devote the necessary time to.

I use to teach in the nursery. I enjoyed it. I made it fun for the kids and made sure it wasn't just a time of babysitting. We had age appropriate activities and I would usually bring my kid's Bible and read a story and then have the kids participate in discussion about the story. They loved Jonah and the stories about Jesus healing people.

Now I am on the Dance ministry. I like it. I wanted to find more ways to praise God and dance was a good fit. I want to start a single parent's ministry, and have received the go-ahead from my pastor. . .I've just been soooo busy with regular life, work, kids and now school, that I don't want to start something I can't fully devote the necessary time to.

I think this is such a hard part of serving. We want to make sure that we can hold up to our commitments and I think that's a good concern to have. Good luck in working things out.

I serve on the coffee team at my Church. It's a really big church and it's a great opportunity to get to meet with people, talk to them, get to know them, love them, and make them feel a part of the family. We only serve before and after each service when people are buzzing around/waiting around. It's awesome.

I think that's a great way to meet people at church. I considered doing the greeting ministry, but I think I'm going for more lowkey right now and just kind of see things a little.

I think that's a great way to meet people at church. I considered doing the greeting ministry, but I think I'm going for more lowkey right now and just kind of see things a little.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought that as well at first but decided to go for it. The good thing about having tea/coffee/water with you is that you have something people want so they come to you rather than the other way around :grin:.

At my church you have to join a ministry to become a member. There are tons to choose from. I am in intercessory prayer and deliverance ministry. :yep:

Right now at my church we are for a series on learning our spiritual gifts and from there we are to choose which ministries we want to serve in. So we will see where that leads.

Current I serve on the sanctuary choir, praise choir (sing language ministry), and women's ministry. I am being recruited to help support the youth ministry.

Right now at my church we are for a series on learning our spiritual gifts and from there we are to choose which ministries we want to serve in. So we will see where that leads.

Current I serve on the sanctuary choir, praise choir (sing language ministry), and women's ministry. I am being recruited to help support the youth ministry.

How wonderful! I think at some point, I want to be involved with the youth - particularly pre-teen girls.

How wonderful! I think at some point, I want to be involved with the youth - particularly pre-teen girls.

Exactly, my pastor has become a little concerned about the girls. Within the past few months we have had a suicide attempt and a pregnancy, so he is wanting the women's ministry to be sure we a reaching out and letting them know that we are here for them if they need anything. Of course we ant everything to be Christian based but we also have to deal with the reality that our girls live in and be sure they have the information they needs to make healthy choices, even after they come after bad ones. It is such a fine line. But we do have a girl scout troop sponsored by our church and I hope to be working with them in the fall. Scouting definitely helps support a good foundation.

Back