When Did People Start to Notice Your Hair?

kandi1280

I was just curious as to when other people started to notice you hair? When my hair was long but thin no one really ever commented on it. Now, although it's a bit shorter its much thicker and healthier. It does not always shine a lot as I have been perfecting my airdrying and rollersetting but, I have noticed that some of my girlfriends and co-workers have commented on its health.

It's always getting looks and/or comments. When it's just a blown out fro, folks are ALWAYS looking. When it's straightened and curled I get the "thick" comments. I take them all as compliments :)

People are now really starting to notice my hair. For most of my life my hair stayed around shoulder length. Now I'm APL and people not only notice the length, but also notice the shine and overall health. :D

mw138 said:
People are now really starting to notice my hair. For most of my life my hair stayed around shoulder length. Now I'm APL and people not only notice the length, but also notice the shine and overall health. :D

That sounds great! Your hair looks Gorgeous By the Way!

*Bre~Bre* said:
It's always getting looks and/or comments. When it's just a blown out fro, folks are ALWAYS looking. When it's straightened and curled I get the "thick" comments. I take them all as compliments :)

Having THICK hair when its straightened is my current goal. I can get the length part down, but having both is ideal.

After it got past my shoulders, people started commenting on it. It seems like "off the board" if your hair is past your shoulders, people consider it long.:)

Hmmm...it just happened to me two weeks ago. I have collarbone length hair...and growing. I saw a friend of mine that I haven't seen for months and she was like "I like your fall". Her mouth fell open when I told her it was my own hair. Another friend noticed the thickness and how much longer it had gotten.

All because of LHCF.

*Bre~Bre* said:
What you talking about gal!!! Your avatar is showing some thick and luscious strands!

:) That's a decieving photo. At the time this was taken the top of my hair was healthy and covered the broken mid- section.

Last year in April I read on LHCF forum that buns were protective styles, so I begin to wear them daily at that time I was neck length. Co-workers or family members didn't see my hair until November, I decided to wear my hair down... boi was co-workers looking they were all like that's your hair? I was like yes, they were like your hair is so thick and healthy, by this time I was almost shoulder length. I guess since I had it bunned so much they didn't think I still took care of my hair and that it was healthy..

Now when I wear my hair down they be looking and its only an inch past shoulder length.

Last edited:
People notice my hair when I wear my hair just blown out into a flowy afro and when I press it bone straight and wear it parted down the middle, and its obvious its not a weave.

longhairluva said:
After it got past my shoulders, people started commenting on it. It seems like "off the board" if your hair is past your shoulders, people consider it long.:)

Same here. I'm at APL and I still have a ways to go, but looking in the real world my hair is already longer than the majority of women. I'm never had hair longer than shoulder. So everyone I know is like WT:confused: .

pinkskates said:
People notice my hair when I wear my hair just blown out into a flowy afro and when I press it bone straight and wear it parted down the middle, and its obvious its not a weave.

This is the style my hair is right now. I only do it after a relaxer and it always get attention. Usually I'm french rolled.

For the most part if I wear my hair in an updo and in tight curls for awhile and then I wear it straight that's when they pay attention to my hair.

Isn't this funny though, because for me, people noticed when my hair got really thick - not longer, because it was the same length as before but just thin -it wasn't even anything amazing by LHCF standards - it was just chin length :eek: . But ever since, people have been asking me what I'm using and barely believe me when I tell them???!!
I definitey say that health is most likely to attract people's attention - much more than length. If you have both - then that is just the pinnacle. Health is key.

@ Betty

Before I would have thought the opposite. But ever since joining this site, I have to say I totally agree with you. People have def. taken better notice now that my hair is healthier though, not necessarily longer.

i have had 2 people comment on my hair looking healthy IRL. Which is funny, cos i take good care of it, but it breaks like crazy

longhairluva said:

Same here with my black folks, especially as I got closer to APL. White & hispanic co-workers & friends have started commenting the closer I get to BSL. They all comment on the thickness, especially when I do braidouts.

btw longhairluva, your siggy pic is scaring me. :lol:

People started to compliment my hair about 2 years ago when I started using lye relaxers and Nexxus. My hair isn't that long yet so I don't get compliments on length as much as style and it just being thick and healthy. I can't wait for it to be LONG thick and healthy...that's why I'm praying for!

Chayil

I transition for about 2 1/2 years in braids, and once I stopped wearing braids and started wearing my afro everyone was like "....DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D I also hardly press my hair.... so when I do I get an extra " ....DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGGG!" :D

Last edited:
the compliments really started rolling in 6 months ago. only one of my friends compliment me on my hair. (none of them supported me on my hair journey)the others either don't say anything or they tell me to cut it so it'll grow faster.

Hmmm...I've always been funny about my hair. Even when I was a young girl I would wear it in a different style everyday, and people always seemed to notice or comment on it. Then when I grew up, I had a great stylist and she always had my hair bumpin'.:D Even when my hair was in bad shape I still made sure it was "whipped." So it's fair to say that folks have pretty much always noticed my hair.:cool:

I'm constantly changing my hairstyle and have done that for many years...so folks are always noticing/commenting on my hair. :cool:

I got that alot too.. when I finally wore it down they couldnt believe it.
I have only had short hair once but I never really liked wearing my heard down so I always had it in a bun.

TLC1020 said:
Last year in April I read on LHCF forum that buns were protective styles, so I begin to wear them daily at that time I was neck length. Co-workers or family members didn't see my hair until November, I decided to wear my hair down... boi was co-workers looking they were all like that's your hair? I was like yes, they were like your hair is so thick and healthy, by this time I was almost shoulder length. I guess since I had it bunned so much they didn't think I still took care of my hair and that it was healthy..

Now when I wear my hair down they be looking and its only an inch past shoulder length.

I'd have to say that people took notice the moment I BC'd. Since I take great care of my natural 4a/4b hair, a lot of AA's took notice because they thought I had that "good hair". Imagine the looks on their face when I explained that it is my regimen and not genetics that gives me my beautiful mane. :D

Coworkers and outsiders notice more when I wear my hair in a twist out. Some people will notice twists if they haven't seen me in awhile, especially since I used to wear wash-n-go's all the time.

Well around APL-ish people started to comment that it had grown a lot more. But once I was nearing brastrap I officially stepped into that long-hair status..now it's like i catch a lot of people staring at my hair.

Recently i was at this one science fair for intel (YAY INTEL ISEF) and this one woman comes to me and just rubs her hand down the length of my hair...people can be really weird sometimes. :ohwell:

Back