When A Guy Doesn't "take The Hint"

TinyBlu

OK... It's been a year since my breakup, and I think it may be time to "get out there" again.

Recently, I met a seemingly nice guy who approached me respectfully and asked for my number. I gave it to him but noticed a few things immediately that made me raise my eyebrows a little.

First, he tried to immediately engage me in a lengthy TEXT conversation (a HUGE pet peeve of mine) and despite me inviting him to call me twice, he never took the bait. I just stopped responding to his texts.

He then asked me for a pic within moments of receiving my number. I just thought that was a bit forward (yes, I'm old fashioned, and I HATE selfies!!!!) and my brother (major player) would get pics of the chicks he was texting to help him keep them straight. I tried to make light of it and sent him a pic of an Orangutan with a wink and a caption "Here you go..."

He then INVITED ME TO HIS HOUSE over text! I told him I didn't get off work to midnight and he was like, "Why don't you come over when you get off". I didn't even respond to that.

So... he did call the next day, but it was a very short conversation. He never asked any probing questions about me... except my age and if I had children. He had to get off the phone before I could get answers to those questions myself.

By this time, I pretty much assumed this guy was a bit of a jerk, but I've been known to judge too quickly and decided to see how things played out. By mid week, he had called again and asked me to dinner (still no conversations of substance). I thought it would be safer to meet for a drink, so we agreed on a place to meet.

It was my hope that we could have a more meaningful conversation during drinks, but between him leaving the table to answer his phone at least three times and CONSTANTLY talking about himself (his cars, his house, his money... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... Oh yeah... he mentioned Jesus about 50 times BEFORE he invited me to his house again!!!!), I knew this would be our first and last date.

I'm polite, so I thanked him for the drink before we left and gave him the "church hug" - You KNOW the hug I'm talking about and pretty much wrote him off. He called later that night (after midnight) and I didn't answer and texted me "I MISS YOU" the next day.

So, I ATTEMPTED to nip it in the bud. I texted him "Thank you so much for the drink the other night. I enjoyed getting to know more about you, but at this time I don't see this progressing romantically and would prefer not to go out again." Since then, the guy will NOT stop texting / calling me!

I have one of the cheap phone plans that won't allow me to block him, and he knows where I work. How can I get this guy to leave me alone? This is a little scary!

I would send one last, but very straight forward text: Do not text me anymore. Then proceed to ignore (not read) his texts. Keep them for now in case his actions escalate so you will have proof of his instability. Otherwise, if he continues to text and/or call you, get a better phone plan :). He should simmer down in a few days or a week or so. If he shows up at your job or home I'd threaten to call the police, and then follow through with action. He has no right to harass you. Also don't fall for his shananigans. He may try to come on strong with attention, flowers, and good conversation, but it will be short lived and you will have to break up with him again.

I can block calls and text messages with my ATT Smart Limits app.

Call your mobile provider and ask if they can do it for you.

Other than that tell him not to text you anymore. Sorry OP.

What does he say in his texts? (I'm nosy).
Nothing of substance for sure. Typical "player" BS...

I know you've been hurt and you're scared of a true gentleman...
I can take care of you...
You wouldn't need to work so hard if you were with me...
Let me take care of you...

Seriously? After one drink date? I think not.

His whole conversation was about women he had dated (he always led with their age), where he took them, how much he spent on the date, what types of car(s) he has, how much he spent on them...

I was thinking the whole time, what about me screams "gold digger?" I was so not impressed...

Yeah this is why all new dudes get a Google number uhm I've never heard a phone that can't block
I agree be forward and specifically say stop texting Me and make it clear you will take legal action if need be

I NEVER thought of doing the Google thing. I'm SO stealing that!!!!

...and I'm going to reach out to T-Mobile to see if I can get him blocked.

Thankfully, I don't disclose my address for quite a while when getting into something new.

I NEVER thought of doing the Google thing. I'm SO stealing that!!!!

...and I'm going to reach out to T-Mobile to see if I can get him blocked.

Thankfully, I don't disclose my address for quite a while when getting into something new.
Sis t-mobile most Def blocks it's 15 bucks though. But what's 15 dollars for peace

Nothing of substance for sure. Typical "player" BS...

I know you've been hurt and you're scared of a true gentleman...
I can take care of you...
You wouldn't need to work so hard if you were with me...
Let me take care of you...

Seriously? After one drink date? I think not.

His whole conversation was about women he had dated (he always led with their age), where he took them, how much he spent on the date, what types of car(s) he has, how much he spent on them...

I was thinking the whole time, what about me screams "gold digger?" I was so not impressed...

Eww.

Throw this one back, you can do better. Just tell him that you don't see this working out. Sorry.

Throw this one back, you can do better. Just tell him that you don't see this working out. Sorry.
Honey, he never even made it into the boat! LOL!!!

I was done when he told me about the "28-year-old (mind you, he's 50) he took to Ruth Chris who was so impressed by the $233 bill that she took a pic of the receipt and posted it on Facebook!!!"

I seriously wonder what part of that story he thought would impress me. I've been out of the game for a minute. Has it REALLY gotten this bad out there? BLECK!!!!

What location are you in? You mentioned Ruth Chris... just by reading I was thinking in my head "DC bamma" .

@TinyBlu
You mentioned that you are getting back into the dating game & from reading the communication between you and Mr. , there were so many red flags I lost count. You will waste a lot of your time and end up in similar situations every time if you don't cut these losers off sooner. You gave this fella too many passes. I know hindsight is 20/20. But girl....

Back