WHAT'S YOUR WINTER "PROTECTIVE" ROUTINE

I too plan to keep my hair covered using wigs. I recently found and fell in love with some affordable lacefronts on blackhairspray.com and I'm rockin' them! :yep: So I keep my hair either in two strand twists or cornrows underneath my wigs.

1.) After I co-wash with my Aussie conditioner, I put in Kimmaytube's leave-in condish. 2.) If I will twist, then I use ORS twist and lock gel and Jane Carter's Nourish and shine. A deliciously moisturizing combination. :love: My hair is still keeping the moisture two days later. 3.) When it starts to feel dry, at night I will baggy with an aloe vera, glycerin, water and castor/jojoba oil spritz. My hair is mostly dry by morning, so I'm okay to throw on my wig cap and wig and go. My twists, I have to re-do weekly on Sundays when I co-wash, since I do them myself, its fine.

Since someone else cornrows my hair, I try to keep it fairly dry and easy to work with, so I will use the Kimmaytube leave-in condish to have it braided. Then for moisture upkeep I use my trusty spritz to baggy at night. In my braids I can still co-wash weekly b/c they last me at least two weeks. :yep:

This is my first winter with my hair natural, so I'm pretty proud of my protective style regimen so far. I know that twists retain LOTS of luscious length when you keep your ends healthy, so I wanna rock a BIG AFRO next summer and some gorgeous twistouts. I'm working for it now! :lol:

I don't forsee my winter regimen being that much different than my usual routine (hopefully!):
1. Prepoo/Wash/DC/steam weekly
2. Apply Kimmaytube Leave In to damp hair (substituting Giovanni Direct Leave in for Knot Today)
3. Twist-rod set or braid-n-curl or other protective styles
4. Unravel twists/braids using Qhemets Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm
5. Moisturize hair with Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier (diluted with aloe vera juice) daily or as needed.
6. I may use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie in my Kimmaytube Leave In if the winter is especially harsh and I feel my hair needs a thicker moisturizer.

I'm going to try and keep wigging it. I started wearing wigs on Nov. 1, but the wigs and I don't get along. ;) Today I'm in french braids, so I'm thinking my winter regimen will be a week of wigs and a week with braids.

As for what's going on beneath the wigs, small plats with JBCO on the scalp and ends.

I'm in half wigs all winter. As for my hair, I'm hoping to wash and deep condition every two weeks, moisturize, seal and re-braid. However, I'm struggling with the every two weeks part. I'm used to washing my hair twice a week.

I don't know how many times I've changed my regime, but I have :lachen:. I'm following whatever my hair is telling me.

I'm still not in the mood for wigs so I have my hair out this winter. As such, I'm a bit paranoid so I've been co-washing with deep conditioners every two or three days. What I do is I baggy with the deep conditioner overnight and rinse it out the next day. I let it air dry then flatten my twisted hair style for flyaway hairs. My hiarstyle does not look old; it's also a pretty protective look since all my ends are tucked in. I just need to stop playing in my hair :nono:

My hair isn't as soft/moisturized as I want it to be so I've started to incorproate Roux Porosity Control and ACV rinses this past week. I did it last night and my hair is a lot softer and moisturized. I think I might do this every time I deep condition while still incorporating protein for strength.

My number one goal is to watch for splits and be on top of retention/moisture. I cut off most of the damage (2 - 3 inches), but the front has some left. I'll be clipping again near Thanksgiving (marking week 6).

What am I gonna do? First, I'm gonna stalk Amoreofcurls 's fotki. :look:

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent :laugh:....no wigs for me. I did that the winter of 2008/09 and while I liked them enough, they weren't for me.

STYLES:
1) mostly straight hair a la GabbanaGirl -- 3 weeks straight, one week curly
2) curly styles: chunky twists, twistouts, braidouts, twist-n-curl, braid-n-curl, bun
3) straight styles: braidouts, twistouts, buns, updos
4) more head wraps
5) twists or braids with extensions if I get tired

PRODUCTS/METHODS:
1) more DCing, up to 1-2 a week (homegrown steam treatment or sitting under the dryer)
2) Kimmaytube leave-in with GDLI, Alaffia Beautiful Curls leave-in or something else
3) I may try Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on straight hair, otherwise EVCO and avocado oil
4) butters: avocado and mango to seal // oils: sweet almond, castor, EVOO

I will be wigging it. Most likely I won't braid up, I will enjoy just wrapping my hair so I can get to it weekly. :)

Full Wig. It keeps your Head warm and you neva' eva' have a "bad hair day" It's a great protective style.

Underneath, I wear the Men's Durag, Heavy Cream and a little drop of oil to lock all the moisture in.
Weekly Co-washing, Steaming and an occasional HOT.

Honestly, my winter protective routine isn't much different from what I do in the summer. I'll alternate between twists & wigs from Monday to Friday. Then I'll wear a twistout on the weekend. The only addition to the routine will be wearing a satin bonnet under my hat.

For the entire winter and until next fall, I will be wearing sew-ins. I moisturize my hair underneath with S-Curl and seal with my CO/RO mix. I keep the install for 2-3 months, take down, relax within the week, and redo(within 2-3 weeks) the sew-in after doing multiple protein treatments.

@fabbodbobbi hey ... i'll also be in braids for quite a while

what's your moisturizing mix "that works?" (if it's ok to ask:-)

Hi,
@tHeHaIRLaB
In my moisturizing mix- Water/ Giovanni moisturizing condish/veg glyceron/ (3) drops of tea tree oil/vitamin E
After I spray with the mix I would seal with jamaican castor oil
FYI: I braid my hair with synthetic hair. When I took out the braids, my hair was not dry.

Going to put braids in first week of december. Will be using the same moisturizing mix.

Also someone suggested for me to check this site which cfmd the moisturizing I made was okay to use.
http://growafrohairlong.com/crownandglory.html
This site gives advise on how to care for your hair in braids.

Bobbie

Last edited:
I will be weaving this winter. My reggie will to be wash & condition every two weeks also to apply my megatek mixture. Keeping it simple y'all.

Lady S hey sis!!!! missed you... for whatever reason i don't see you around
what do you do under the wigs???? any special treatments...etc.??

Hi tHeHaIRLaB ! :wavey: I have to be careful with this forum or I'll go into hardcore product/wig junkie mode. :spinning:

Last year when I wigged it during the winter, I used non-sulfate shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. And I oiled the combs of the wigs and my hairline. Oh and I'm positive my humidifier helped a lot too.

I bought disposable caps finally so my reggie is as follows, i'm so excited (i'm baggying right now :D)

Nov 1 - May 1
Wigs (90%) Braids/Bun (10%)
Baggy Nightly (Alternate between Oil mix and Hawaiian Silky/MT)
CoWash 2x Weekly
Shampoo BiWeekly

This is a personal 6mos Challenge. I will take a picture on 01.01.11 but other than that. I want to nurture my hair and let it do its thing while I do mine.

I mostly wear wigs and my routine is the same except for washing once a week and baggying 5 days in the wintertime. I wear my wig outside of the house, otherwise my silk scarf is on my head.

Wash and DC hair (protein)
Moisturizing conditioner about 30 min with cap
Apply leave-ins (S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky)
8-10 jumbo braids
Moisturize and seal braids daily before bed
Baggy

I may use a blowdry on cool setting on my new growth (almost 5 mths post).

I just started my new regimen.:

Wash and deep condition every 1.5-2 wks vs. every week.:look:
Keep my hair stretched by lightly flat ironing.

Use a cone leave in after my wash&dc (Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Creme)

Braid nightly and seal my ends with a aloe vera/water mixture & evoo.

Unbraid in the morning and pin up.

That my regimen. Pretty simple stuff.:)
I just did a trim Saturday for a fresh start.

I have one silk lined hat that I wear. Every other time I have on my silk bonnet. Yes my ghetto self wears a silk bonnet on the bus/train to work. :yep:
#whoareyoutojudge:lol:

Last edited:
[USER=234394 said:
afrochique[/USER] ;12200899]I mostly wear wigs and my routine is the same except for washing once a week and baggying 5 days in the wintertime. I wear my wig outside of the house, otherwise my silk scarf is on my head.

Wash and DC hair (protein)
Moisturizing conditioner about 30 min with cap
Apply leave-ins (S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky)
8-10 jumbo braids
Moisturize and seal braids daily before bed
Baggy

I may use a blowdry on cool setting on my new growth (almost 5 mths post).

wow..... so you do the glycerin based product thing in the winter as well???

Hi,
@tHeHaIRLaB
In my moisturizing mix- Water/ Giovanni moisturizing condish/veg glyceron/ (3) drops of tea tree oil/vitamin E
After I spray with the mix I would seal with jamaican castor oil
FYI: I braid my hair with synthetic hair. When I took out the braids, my hair was not dry.

Going to put braids in first week of december. Will be using the same moisturizing mix.

Also someone suggested for me to check this site which cfmd the moisturizing I made was okay to use.
The Crown & Glory Technique--Official Site
This site gives advise on how to care for your hair in braids.

Bobbie

shut the front dayuuum door!!! JBCO made me itch so bad.... i started selling all mine....but why didn't silly old me try it on my hair ... and not my scalp? hmmmmmmmmmmm

I am planning on twisting my hair in normal sized twists and half wigs all winter. I will also moisturize and dc as usual.

wow..... so you do the glycerin based product thing in the winter as well???

Yes. I think that my hair has also been loving Carefree Curl since it got cooler. I tried it in the summer, and my hair was not appreciating it. I spritz it on my new growth daily.
Forgot to add: I use JBCO to seal my length and ends then tuck the ends under.

my winter routine is to wash, condition and treat(ayurvedic powders, henna ect) and twist. i plan on keeping my hair twisted most of this winter.

I'm hoping to be APL unstretched by my birthday in April. So here's hoping.

I'm going to moisturize more. More ponytail baggies and really commit to DC on a weekly basis but I'm going to try to go under the drier.

continue the hair, nails, and skin vitamins that have lutein and MSN.

When I'm not in the mood to wear my wigs, I'm going to switch to ponytails or buns. (I have a big head, so we'll see how that goes, lol) I'm also just going to let my hair go free at least once a week. I love my curls.

Drink more water and watch my calories and sugar.

i guess i'm the only fool afraid of wigs

perhaps i just don't have a wig head :-( .....

I wasn't open to wearing wigs until 6 months after joining this site. I wasn't to fond of them and I didn't think they looked right on me. Then I found a few fotki's where the ladies were sporting half wigs as their protective style. Chavascandy is one young lady who really stood out. Anywho at that time I decided to venture into the land of half wigs to grow out my short haircut. I wore wigs for 6 mos. straight while my hair grew out. What a godsend. So, I'm using that same mentality now that its winter and I'm grazing shoulder length. That means prime time for some protective styling. I figure wigs will do me some justice this time around too. :)

No, me too girl. Im the plain jane who sticks to buns, braid outs, and twist outs. Although i do wear my hair flat ironed more often in the winter since it will stay straight the whole week unlike in the summer.

Full Wig. It keeps your Head warm and you neva' eva' have a "bad hair day" It's a great protective style.

Underneath, I wear the Men's Durag, Heavy Cream and a little drop of oil to lock all the moisture in.
Weekly Co-washing, Steaming and an occasional HOT.

You're right, never a bad hair day!!LOL I like the idea of adding a heavy cream and oil. I'm gonna try that!

Back