What's your fav. portective style? (4b naturals)

AfroKink

My hair is growing (Yay! :woot:) But as my hair grows, the same styles start looking different. I find myself unable to do the same styles I use to be able to do. My hair is about 8 or 9 inches long now. I can't do twists that just hang down any because my hair hits the top of my shirt or sweat and springs out at a 90 degree angle from my head... and because of my texture, it just stays sticking out. Not a good look :nono:. I can pull my twists into one, but the pony tail is small and measly. So 2 strand twists, my old staple is no more.

I loved doing 2 big cornrows straight back, but now the little braided part that hangs at the end doesn't hang anymore. It too juts out awkwardly. It's going to be awhile before my hair isn't affected by my shirts anymore.

What protective styles are working for you ladies? be sure to post how long your hair is. And if you have pics, do post them!

Thanks.
Lys

bump. im not 4b just i definetly do have the jutting out problem. it looks so awful:nono: but when they are shrunken i dont get the 90 degree thing

Wearing wigs is my best protective style. I love the versatility of being able to have long and short looks, black and colored wigs, curly, straight, highlights, you name it. Just love it! Plus it is one of the only protective style that gives me virtually no breakage.

I do a lot of two strands twists, and flat twist updos..... I've got pictures linked from nappydelphia..... I almost ALWAYS wear the back of my hair up, because it's long enough to hit my neck/collar, and it drives me batty. I'll sometimes leave the front out though, to give me a nice bang look....

Braids and twists. I wear my hair up 99% of the time because I don't like the feeling of hair on the back of my neck.

My hair is BSL. Pics are in my fotki.

Wearing wigs is my best protective style. I love the versatility of being able to have long and short looks, black and colored wigs, curly, straight, highlights, you name it. Just love it! Plus it is one of the only protective style that gives me virtually no breakage.

I don't have any wigs, but I was thinking of using head wraps to get over this hump. Only problem is I always by the pretty multicolored wraps that only go with one or two outfits. :wallbash: I finally got a plain black one.

I do a lot of two strands twists, and flat twist updos..... I've got pictures linked from nappydelphia..... I almost ALWAYS wear the back of my hair up, because it's long enough to hit my neck/collar, and it drives me batty. I'll sometimes leave the front out though, to give me a nice bang look....

You have some pretty complicated styles going on! nice job. lots of great ideas for me!

Braids and twists. I wear my hair up 99% of the time because I don't like the feeling of hair on the back of my neck.

My hair is BSL. Pics are in my fotki.

When my twists first started hitting my neck, I didn't understand what was going on. I kept swatting at myself thinking something was crawling on me:lachen:

My hair is growing (Yay! :woot:) But as my hair grows, the same styles start looking different. I find myself unable to do the same styles I use to be able to do. My hair is about 8 or 9 inches long now. I can't do twists that just hang down any because my hair hits the top of my shirt or sweat and springs out at a 90 degree angle from my head... and because of my texture, it just stays sticking out. Not a good look :nono:. I can pull my twists into one, but the pony tail is small and measly. So 2 strand twists, my old staple is no more.

I loved doing 2 big cornrows straight back, but now the little braided part that hangs at the end doesn't hang anymore. It too juts out awkwardly. It's going to be awhile before my hair isn't affected by my shirts anymore.

What protective styles are working for you ladies? be sure to post how long your hair is. And if you have pics, do post them!

Thanks.
Lys

I used to do that style, it makes me look so young though. What I'm doing at the moment, is two big cornrows, like how you say, but as I get to the middle section of my head, I add kinky hair to it. (I use the 'jazzy' brand, it's very smooth) It looks completely natural, and a lot more chic - something to do with the length. This way your ends are completely protected, but it gives you a more sophisticated look.

Bumping for others :)

Today I cornrowed the front and did single braid in the back. I hope the braids dont stick out as much as twists do. If they do, I'm going to just pull my hair into one, and rock that for a while.

Lys

I used to do that style, it makes me look so young though. What I'm doing at the moment, is two big cornrows, like how you say, but as I get to the middle section of my head, I add kinky hair to it. (I use the 'jazzy' brand, it's very smooth) It looks completely natural, and a lot more chic - something to do with the length. This way your ends are completely protected, but it gives you a more sophisticated look.

How do you add the hair in the middle?

Lys

I'm tired of wearing two strands...right now i'm wearing roller sets as my protective style.
Mylength just varies.
It's past collarbone on the sides.
The bang touches my bottom lip.
The back is past apl.

Last edited:
I'm tired of wearing two strands...right now i'm wearing roller sets as my protective style.
Mylength just varies.
It's past collarbone on the sides.
The bang touches my bottom lip.
The back is past apl.

How do you do your rollersets?

Lys

How do you do your rollersets?

Lys

I'm actually sitting in rollers now...:grin:

Every Sunday, after some form of DC...I add some sort of leave-in. Then I section my hair in about 6 sections. I spritz each section my hair with a mixture of 1 part Lottabody to 4 parts distilled water in a bottle. I use end papers and the magnetic snap rollers. I used the medium size rollers. My hair comes out with lots of bounce and my hair is not hard from the Lottabdy, but is very soft and touchable. I think the end papers help keep my ends straight. And that's about it....I plan to update my fotki later this week with the pics..
Thanks for asking!!!!

BTW, when I was wearing 2 strand twists or braids, I would have a ton of knots at the ends of my hair. I've been wearing rollersets for the past 4 weeks and I have less knots and problems with my ends.

Last edited:
Twist/twistout combo as in my siggy or a afro-puff as in my avatar...I can't braid my own hair very well, so my options are kinda limited :perplexed

Hmm. guess what, I have 2 favorite protective styles now. Originally I posted that My absolute favorite is wearing wigs but I just discovered that I loooove braids as well:yep:. They are so easy to manage and what's best is that I actually have access to my scalp. They are an easy way to track hair growth progress as well. Sew-ins I tried and I didn't like it at all:nono: because I couldn't take care of my hair underneath.

Do twistouts count? If so, I say them. if not, i say, hmm, twists or the bun. But I'm putting in a set of box braids now. I can't believe I am since I promised myself during the take-down last time that I'd never do it again. But here I am, doing it again. This is just the 3rd time in more than a decade, though.

Do twistouts count? If so, I say them. if not, i say, hmm, twists or the bun. But I'm putting in a set of box braids now. I can't believe I am since I promised myself during the take-down last time that I'd never do it again. But here I am, doing it again. This is just the 3rd time in more than a decade, though.

ooooo, please post pics, i want to see :grin::yep:

I'm actually sitting in rollers now...:grin:

Every Sunday, after some form of DC...I add some sort of leave-in. Then I section my hair in about 6 sections. I spritz each section my hair with a mixture of 1 part Lottabody to 4 parts distilled water in a bottle. I use end papers and the magnetic snap rollers. I used the medium size rollers. My hair comes out with lots of bounce and my hair is not hard from the Lottabdy, but is very soft and touchable. I think the end papers help keep my ends straight. And that's about it....I plan to update my fotki later this week with the pics..
Thanks for asking!!!!

BTW, when I was wearing 2 strand twists or braids, I would have a ton of knots at the ends of my hair. I've been wearing rollersets for the past 4 weeks and I have less knots and problems with my ends.

Hey- I have wondered if I can pull off a rollerset. Are you 4B, Genesis??

If you think your pony is too small when you pull your twists back, Lys, you can use a "claw" to cover it. Claws put little stress on the hair and you can find one that are toothless and seamless to prevent snags on your hair. I use them daily and it works for me.

Twists, Bantus - (this is new for me) and Braids. I rarely wear my hair outside of those styles unless it is Flat Ironed.

Twist really dont work for me unless they're fat and juicy. I like braids, braids, braids, I can clean my scalp and oil and moisturzie my ends. I also wear wigs and sew ins, I do my own sew ins, and I try to do it where I can get to my scalp, I only keep it in for 2 weeks though, because its hard to wash. Oh and I also wear head wraps, very cute and stylish, I cornrow or just do a few braids, put a bonnet on and then do my head wraps...

My hair is 5.5 - 6.5 inches long, so braids work best for me.....

Thanx for the input everyone. I revisted twists last week. The twists at the nape seem to be tucking themselves under instead of jutting out now. I can deal with that. Right now I'm in a curlformer set.

...every time this thread gets bumped up, I'm reminded of the typo in the title:wallbash:

Lys

Back