What's your dream wedding?

CurlyMoo

I'm not engaged but it's something that crosses my mind every now and then. But I sometimes think of how large I would want my wedding to be. I know someone that did something very small but wanted to do something larger later. It never happened. The budget was the concern in that situation and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. Not that I'm saying it should be a problem. I say live your dream wedding at the time you want it.

I have several ideas but can't pick one. A huge church wedding or a small intimate outdoor beach affair with flowers everywhere. When I think of that debacle on Sex and The City the movie it gives me a headache I want my wedding to be the best time of my life not a huge stressful occasion where the groom nor I are unhappy.

Do you ladies want a huge expensive affair, something cozy and intimate or have a small private ceremony first then later do a large extravagant party? Do you sometimes daydream about walking down the aisle?

I want a small wedding with 50-75 guests BUT I know that's not going to fly with my folks. I think we will have to compromise. I get my small intimate white wedding, and they can knock themselves out with the traditional wedding and reception AFTER I get my day. I'll be doing mine in reverse since the trad usually precedes the white wedding but whatever. I've never been too conventional.

P.S. I'm not engaged or anything:lachen:

I want a small wedding with 50-75 guests BUT I know that's not going to fly with my folks. I think we will have to compromise. I get my small intimate white wedding, and they can knock themselves out with the traditional wedding and reception AFTER I get my day. I'll be doing mine in reverse since the trad usually precedes the white wedding but whatever. I've never been too conventional.

P.S. I'm not engaged or anything:lachen:

You know what they say, the number on the guests list usually doubles by the time everything is finalized. :lachen:I actually would love to do something that wasn't ordinary but not simple nor boring. Nothing like bungee jumping right after our vowels or anything just something different. Maybe even in another country.

I think the reception before the wedding sounds great and would be a wonderful way to help you and the groom settle any nervous energy. :yep:
So 75 is considered small?

I think it's healthy to mentally plan a wedding before it happens. :grin:

@ CurlyMoo my people are known for lavish parties. The average naija wedding has about 250-350 guests. I kid you not!

I also want something unique but on a small scale. I'm thinking the small private wedding and reception, and then the traditional wedding + big reception a day or 2 after.

@ CurlyMoo my people are known for lavish parties. The average naija wedding has about 250-350 guests. I kid you not!

I also want something unique but on a small scale. I'm thinking the small private wedding and reception, and then the traditional wedding + big reception a day or 2 after.

Whoa that's a lot of people! Your Nigerian? I did face painting for a Nigerian girl who threw a kids birthday party, and it was huge. I didn't know children got down like that. The children were very demonstrative of how they wanted their designs too. I was certainly busy. :lol:

I think that's a wonderful thing. Sounds exhausting though. I take it everyone pitches in to help?

Yep I'm Nigerian. Exhausting is an understatement. Many people pitch in to help with chores and activities especially the bridal party and relatives... but the money typically comes from the couple and/or the parents. That's a lot of money. I don't believe in spending huge amounts for a two-day event when I can invest the money or make it a down payment on something substantial.

My dream wedding is for a private wedding on the beach with just me and my future husband, toes in the sand, homemade dress, and have a long honeymoon where we travel for like 6 month across the world.

Obviously I care way more about the honeymoon the the wedding :look:

eta: Oh and I want waist length hair lol

Last edited:
I have always dreamed about my wedding. The older I get the more it changes. I don't really want a wedding party, but I know that isn't going to happen. I just want my dad to walk me down the aisle.

I want the reception to be a big party, but I have given up that dream. That tends to happen more when the bride and groom friends are friends and that isn't the case for me. Plus, neither one of us drinks. My SO and I are complete opposites and so are our families...so this will be interesting affair to say the least.

I would love to get married outside with white chairs and have a tent reception with cloth draping the inside...

He wants a beach wedding, but I am natural and plan on being WL by then....:nono: (I straighten occasionally and will straighten for the wedding)

The more I think about it the less I want to have a wedding, but I know I will regret it as I have been dreaming about a wedding FOREVER.

Last edited:
Yep I'm Nigerian. Exhausting is an understatement. Many people pitch in to help with chores and activities especially the bridal party and relatives... but the money typically comes from the couple and/or the parents. That's a lot of money. I don't believe in spending huge amounts for a two-day event when I can invest the money or make it a down payment on something substantial.

My dream wedding is to have a Naija wedding LOL, love the culture! and the men too :lol:

My dream wedding is for a private wedding on the beach with just me and my future husband, make my own dress, [\b] and have a long honeymoon where we travel for like 6 month across the world.

Obviously I care way more about the honeymoon the the wedding:look:

eta: Oh and I want waist lenght hair lol

Did you know it's extreme bad luck to make your own gown or anything for your own wedding even the cake it's passed groom seeing future bride in her gown not only will you not marry that guy but tragedy may befall you and loved ones.

This is going to make me sound crazy but I already have my wedding planned, down to the date. Nope... don't have a boyfriend or anything, but SOMEONE better come along because I am getting married on June 13, 2015.
:lachen:
I wanted June 13 because that is in the middle of my parents' and my brother's wedding anniversaries (June 10 and June 16). And I wanted it to be on a Saturday, so that's how that came about.
I want to have an outdoor wedding at this mansion by a reflection pool, and then go inside to the parlor for cocktails, and then the ballroom for the reception. 250 people (this is actually small in relation to how many my parents were thinking... I only wanted like 75-100, but I'm an army brat and my dad has a million friends... 250 was a compromise, and luckily, I'd have to stick with it because that's the maximum occupancy for the mansion). My mom will be matron-of-honor, and my best friend will be maid-of-honor. My niece will be the flower girl. I really don't want a big wedding party. I hate those pictures where there are like 20 people at the altar... I don't want to get married with an army (no offense to anyone else... just not my style). My colors are going to be tiffany blue and champagne. I already have the dress picked out (Pnina Tournai, of course), as well as the reception dress, and the rehearsal dinner dress. I've picked out invitations, flowers, etc. I even looked up honeymoon packages. I actually have a wedding budget planned out in Excel.
I sound crazy... I know. Lol.
I did all this online, though, so it's not like I actually called and went to stores and priced stuff! So maybe I'm not completely crazy?
It might also help my case if you knew that I was planning to go to college to be a wedding planner.
No?
Oh well.
I have big dreams. Only God knows if they'll come true.

davisbr88 I'm not even mad at you for having all of that planned! Less headache in the future. The mansion idea seems wonderful. I wish I could price more stuff without having to call and all of that...

My SO gave the go ahead to try on dresses today, but um...why can't I get the ring first?!

@davisbr88 I'm not even mad at you for having all of that planned! Less headache in the future. The mansion idea seems wonderful. I wish I could price more stuff without having to call and all of that...

My SO gave the go ahead to try on dresses today, but um...why can't I get the ring first?!

Ahahaha. When I saw that I had a mention, I KNEW it was going to be in this thread! But I thought it was gonna be to make fun of me, so now I don't feel so bad! :grin:
Anyway, the mansion is actually a considered a county historic landmark, so it is rented through the parks and recreation department, which makes it verrrrry affordable. If I remember correctly, I think it is $2000 for the day (Saturdays are a bit more expensive, though), including tables and chairs for the ceremony and reception, as well as the standard white linens and silverware. You can come in the morning because they have this beautiful vintage-like bridal dressing room where you can have the hair and make-up artists come (I plan to do my own hair, and by then, I better have my full HL hair, and you best believe ima be swangin it at the reception :lachen:).
But back to the point, since it's considered a "park" all of the prices are available online, which is why I didn't need to call.
Check to see if you have something similar where you live. I think every state has some form of a parks department, and it should probably include information on renting out the historic buildings.

Did you know it's extreme bad luck to make your own gown or anything for your own wedding even the cake it's passed groom seeing future bride in her gown not only will you not marry that guy but tragedy may befall you and loved ones.

Actually, I didnt know that but i'm not superstitious at all so I doesnt bother me.:drunk:

I want no more than 30 people

I want my dress to be amazing, the cake to be amazing, we can all eat lunch at a really nice fancy restaurant, have great photography

then me and my hubby can go on with our lives together

This is going to make me sound crazy but I already have my wedding planned, down to the date. Nope... don't have a boyfriend or anything, but SOMEONE better come along because I am getting married on June 13, 2015.
I wanted June 13 because that is in the middle of my parents' and my brother's wedding anniversaries (June 10 and June 16). And I wanted it to be on a Saturday, so that's how that came about.
I want to have an outdoor wedding at this mansion by a reflection pool, and then go inside to the parlor for cocktails, and then the ballroom for the reception. 250 people (this is actually small in relation to how many my parents were thinking... I only wanted like 75-100, but I'm an army brat and my dad has a million friends... 250 was a compromise, and luckily, I'd have to stick with it because that's the maximum occupancy for the mansion). My mom will be matron-of-honor, and my best friend will be maid-of-honor. My niece will be the flower girl. I really don't want a big wedding party. I hate those pictures where there are like 20 people at the altar... I don't want to get married with an army (no offense to anyone else... just not my style). My colors are going to be tiffany blue and champagne. I already have the dress picked out (Pnina Tournai, of course), as well as the reception dress, and the rehearsal dinner dress. I've picked out invitations, flowers, etc. I even looked up honeymoon packages. I actually have a wedding budget planned out in Excel.
I sound crazy... I know. Lol.
I did all this online, though, so it's not like I actually called and went to stores and priced stuff! So maybe I'm not completely crazy?
It might also help my case if you knew that I was planning to go to college to be a wedding planner.
No?
Oh well.
I have big dreams. Only God knows if they'll come true.

I want my honey to read this so he can get off my back for looking at freak engagment party invites! lol.. I am novice compared to you! lol

Eta: I would love to tell my dream wedding but everytime I share ppl critize about the money I wanna spend and call me childish:ohwell: So I scared to tell yall! But I will keep reading! :yep:

Last edited:
I want my honey to read this so he can get off my back for looking at freak engagment party invites! lol.. I am novice compared to you! lol

Eta: I would love to tell my dream wedding but everytime I share ppl critize about the money I wanna spend and call me childish:ohwell: So I scared to tell yall! But I will keep reading! :yep:

Yes! Use me to make yourself look better!!!
And I won't judge you. I know I'm going to spend a lot, but I feel no shame because I saved a whole lot of money when I got a full ride and stipend for both college and grad school. So that school money my parents have been saving since before I was born (plus the separate money I've been saving over the years, plus the money my dad has been saving ever since he found out I was a girl and knew he'd be paying for my wedding) is just sitting there waiting for me to use on my wedding and down payment on a house, etc.
I worked hard and I'm going to make sure I have the wedding I want, and I don't care who criticizes me. I know I'm going to spend at least 55-60K. And even with that, I will still have a lot left over to make sure I have a stable future. My kids won't be starving just because I had an expensive wedding. My priorities are straight.

I used to want a big wedding, but ever since I went to one of my former manager's wedding...I've wanted a much smaller and intimate wedding. She had the ceremony at their new house with just family and then invited the coworkers for the "reception" which was also at the house. Her mother-in-law did the food and it was exquisite. There were whole salmon filets, lobster tails and other seafood, delicious beef and sauces and champagne free-flowing. Because it was small, all of that was possible.

So, I'd like mine to be similar. It would probably be at some venue though and although I have a big family, it'd just be family and very close friends. NO MORE than 100 people, because although I don't have an SO, we're gonna have to keep that list down. I'm not a huge party person anyway, so small and intimate where I can interact with the guests is ideal for me. I really only care about my dress, the cake, great food, and the honeymoon. The rest is negotiable. My mom actually had a good idea about having an early wedding, so having a brunch rather than lunch or dinner and I really like that idea, so we'll see. Of course, that's me talking...I have someone else to consider, LOL.

I want no more than 30 people

I want my dress to be amazing, the cake to be amazing, we can all eat lunch at a really nice fancy restaurant, have great photography

then me and my hubby can go on with our lives together

That sounds like my dream wedding including the # of guests. Garden or beach ceremony. Intimate and peaceful.

My dream wedding is for a private wedding on the beach with just me and my future husband, make my own dress, and have a long honeymoon where we travel for like 6 month across the world.

I have two of the three things on your list: wl hair will be a check (around now. But I'm in a ps so I don't know for sure and won't check until June/July) by next year I'm hoping for hip

One thing I don't want though is a private wedding. I do want people around.

So we'll have 60 or more people in the Mexican Riviera

As for honey moon:

That's why we're waiting until next year (after school is over[I'm a grad student at NYU]) so that we can have a bigger honey moon. Ours won't be 6 months more like 6-8 wks (still working out the details). BUT I'm excited.

Originally it was going to be a week (on spring break) but then my fiance knew I wanted to go to Europe (to marry in cannes, as I loved it so much when I went to cannes film festival last year, but my relatives...some are older. So we had to compromise and pick a place that's a quicker to get to [flying wise]..so mexico it is for the wedding). so he suggested that we go to mexico, have the wedding spend the rest of the week exploring mexico (and our room:look:) and then fly to europe and hop all over the place to wherever we want to go.

suffice it to say...I'm TOO happy and excited now about the compromise (mexico)...and I get my fireworks there too so that makes me happy as well.

---
1)Ideally it would've been the same wedding the only thing that would've changed would be where:Cannes France instead of Riviera Maya, Mexico:

2)Tons of flowers, outside on the beach, with fire works and 35-80 people (and live music and dancers)...all of this is still the same.

3)And a long honey moon in europe: which we're having now.

4)Fireworks (which I have)
5) A kick butt wedding dress (which my dressmaker is working on)
So I'm really happy with the outcome.

Oh and I want a luxurious wedding that is black tie, but that also has laid back fun elements (The reception will have twinkle lights, and flowers floating in the pool by the ocean, but not on the beach at the resort, and will be outside. Also for the wedding, I decided to have maracas with a sign attached that says "shake at the kiss" on everyone's chairs, a band that plays a salsa set [as a surprise to my fiance who loves salsa] in addition to the dj [the dj will take a break and they will come in as a surprise], and firedancers, and for the finale.... fireworks [that's for me I love fireworks:grin:], also trying to work in other fun elements.). Still working on parts of the decorations though. It's hard because I haven't been dreaming of my wedding my whole life, so I'm just now fine tuning what I want so to speak.

Last edited:
My dream wedding is for a private wedding on the beach with just me and my future husband, make my own dress, and have a long honeymoon where we travel for like 6 month across the world.

:lachen: @ the bolded....me too...:lol:

That's sort of my dream wedding too, except I want to invite maybe one or two people (remember Martin and Gina's wedding?). But yeah, I'm more concerned with the honeymoon. I want to go to Fort-de-France, then throughout Europe.

I am kinda having my dream wedding. I have never wanted the Nigerian wedding because of all the stress that comes with it. I am having a semi-destination wedding in wine country which has always been my dream. And we are having 84 people there which is awesome! I will be changing into Nigerian attire after the ceremony which is about as Nigerian as my wedding will get. I just didn't want a bunch of people I don't know at my wedding eating me out of a house and home. My family really can't say much since they aren't paying for it. The people that say oh why california? I am like plan it, pay for it, and let us know where and when we will be there. However, the real wedding will be in Cali. That usually shuts people up.

The kind that Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi had. They had only 12-14 people in their wedding, I'd maybe have 20-25. It was at their house, very intimate and quiet.
I don't like a lot of hooplah and I don't invite too many people into my life, i would like to do the same for my wedding.

My dream wedding would be something very small and very quiet and probably very boring, and very quick. In fact, if I had my way, we would just go get it singed in the courthouse or wherever it is that they get weddings registered/signed/documented and go on our merry way.

with me being Ghanaian though (what with traditional and white weddings) it's probably not going to happen

Something small, beautiful and elegant. Not too many people. I'm Nigerian but I do NOT want a Nigerian wedding. Ditto to the poster who said she didn't want a bunch of people eating her out of a house and home. Plus, most of my blood relatives are not in the US, so I would be inviting "aunties" and "uncles." I want my older sister as my maid of honor and my other sister as my bridesmaid. My baby sis would be my flower girl. Little bro would be ring bearer. I don't want the fuss and drama of having a bunch of bridesmaids. I want to be as happiest as possible and the only way I see it, is to keep it simple.

My primary color will be champagne + whatever accent color that fits the season.

I am going to carry deep red roses

I am getting married at my home church or somebody house of God... we are going to need all the help we can get!

I want to get married on a Sunday afternoon at about sunset on 3 day on holiday weekend

The plan is to have a family dinner at the churh prior to the wedding for family, attendants, and out of town guests (I am thinking this number is about 100) so I can have a dessert and champagne old school hip/hop reception. In my mind this works

When I was on my annual family vacation in Hawaii I saw a wedding take place on the beach at my resort with just the bride, groom, minister and photographer. The groom was wearing jeans and a nice white dress shirt and the woman wore a simple but elegant sleeveless white dress with a bouquet. The couple was barefoot and were right where the sandy beach met the rocks. The most romantic thing about it was they timed it with the sunset. When I saw the wedding I remember thinking "I want my wedding to be like this. Just me and my husband-to-be." When my father saw the wedding his reaction let me know he'd be hurt if any of his daughters had a secret wedding so that's out.

I go through dream wedding ideas like nobody's business. One day it's a European cathedral (I'm Catholic), another day it's a Greek beach and another it's at an outside location with a view of the Bay where I live.

At this point all I know I want a small, intimate, yet luxurious and magical wedding, with just close family and friends from both sides and my sisters as maids (or matrons) of Honor, with a reception right after. No more than 100 people, but that could change depending whom I marry.:look: Although I'm anticipating marrying someone non-Catholic I do want my family-friend priest to officiate because he's watched me grow up. (I don't care if I have two officiators, my parents did it for my sister's baptism.)

Last edited:
I am kinda having my dream wedding. I have never wanted the Nigerian wedding because of all the stress that comes with it. I am having a semi-destination wedding in wine country which has always been my dream. And we are having 84 people there which is awesome! I will be changing into Nigerian attire after the ceremony which is about as Nigerian as my wedding will get. I just didn't want a bunch of people I don't know at my wedding eating me out of a house and home. My family really can't say much since they aren't paying for it. The people that say oh why california? I am like plan it, pay for it, and let us know where and when we will be there. However, the real wedding will be in Cali. That usually shuts people up.

OMG! How did you pull that off? Do you think having a destination wedding helped whittle down the list of potential guests?

Back