Whats the difference??

Carmelella

Hats the difference between 'steaming' and deep conditioning your hair under a hood dryer with a plastic cap on??

Well...one you're steaming and the other you're under a hood dryer with a plastic cap on :D Lol.

Ok ok, they're both methods of deep conditioning by lifting the cuticles. They do the same thing, although most prefer one way over the other.

Under a dryer, the dryer is heating up the water that is on your hair, in your hair and on your scalp and recirculating whatever whatever water is underneath the cap. With the addition of heat, the hair should absorb some of that water and the conditioner.

The steamer is heating up water and forcing it out, due to the increased temperature the strands should absorb this water. In this situation the hair is subjected to more water than with the dryer with the possibility of absorbing more water because it is receiving more water.

I think under certain conditions the dryer could be more drying to the hair and scalp than the steamer. And for some the steamer may cause their hair to become over moisturized because of the high amounts of water the hair can absorb.

Short Answer: The steamer will bombard the hair with far more water than is possible with a dryer and plastic cap.

Amarilles said:
Well...one you're steaming and the other you're under a hood dryer with a plastic cap on :D Lol.

Ok ok, they're both methods of deep conditioning by lifting the cuticles. They do the same thing, although most prefer one way over the other.

Lol. :laughing: you reminded me of this yahoo answer poll that I thought was hilarious :silly:

image-3720006963.jpg

And thanks :)

faithVA said:
Under a dryer, the dryer is heating up the water that is on your hair, in your hair and on your scalp and recirculating whatever whatever water is underneath the cap. With the addition of heat, the hair should absorb some of that water and the conditioner.

The steamer is heating up water and forcing it out, due to the increased temperature the strands should absorb this water. In this situation the hair is subjected to more water than with the dryer with the possibility of absorbing more water because it is receiving more water.

I think under certain conditions the dryer could be more drying to the hair and scalp than the steamer. And for some the steamer may cause their hair to become over moisturized because of the high amounts of water the hair can absorb.

Short Answer: The steamer will bombard the hair with far more water than is possible with a dryer and plastic cap.

Thanks. I see the difference now. I was wondering why someone would want a hood dryer and a steamer... I got it now, lol

quick question. have any of you ladies ever just steam dry hair? I mean, zero product while steaming.

^^ I have after clarifying right before doing a keratin treatment similar to the BKT.

Back