what's the deal with mineral oils??

caramelbarbie

what\'s the deal with mineral oils??

<font color="blue"> Hey everyone!
Today I wanted to get some new deep conditioners but most that I picked up had mineral oil in it. It was really fustrating but then I thought....."I don't even know what's so bad about mineral oil ??" I asked the lady that was working in the shop but she didn't speak english well and couldn't give me any answers.
So i'm turning to you guys......
*grrrrrr* i'm getting really fustrated in trying to determine what is good and what's not with out spending a fortune on products that I might end up hating.

Re: what\'s the deal with mineral oils??

Petrolatum and mineral oil are cheap to make and they increase the shelf life of hair products. The have no positive benefits for hair. They just coat the hair, keep moisture out, make it look greasy and clog the hair follicles hindering hair growth. Not to mention it takes forever to shampoo out all the grease and the gunk it attracts. Some people think keeping moisture out is good, (i.e. no frizzies) but it isn’t. Hair will eventually dry up from the inside/out. Your hair (especially if it is relaxed) needs moisture or else it will dry up and break off!

If you have time to read this......its a quote from Paula Begoun's book "Don't go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me"<font color="blue"> Mineral Oils: There are two basic kinds of mineral oil--those derived from petrolatum (better known as Vaseline) and those derived from a group of ingredients called silicones such as dimethicone and cyclomethicone. Mineral oil and petrolatum are very common moisturizing ingredients and for two good reasons. First they are inexpensive, and second, they work. Petrolatum and mineral oil do not absorb into the skin because the molecules are too large to penetrate the skin. Therefore they stay on the surface and provide a barrier between the skin and the air. This is a good reason to look for mineral oil and petrolatum listed in a moisturizer. The same is true for the silicones which also do an impressive job of keeping water in the skin....I should mention that some beauty experts feel that mineral oils are a skin care no-no and should be avoided at all costs. They feel they can cause blemishes ... I am not sure why these experts pick on mineral oil more than say, lanolin or vegetable oil, which are also known to clog pores and cause allergic reactions. I have not found enough supporting evidence to warrant avoiding any kind of mineral oil if you're not allergic to it. Besides, you are more likely to be allergic to a lot of other cosmetic ingredients than you are to mineral oil.
This info was more to do with skin (face) then hair.....but i'm sure it could apply to the hair too, no? i'm still surfin the net trying to find answers.

I forgot--here are some conditioners w/o mineral oil you may want to check out:

Aubrey Organics GPB
Nature’s Gate Original Herbal Conditioner
Ouidad Deep Treatment (ouidad.com)
ORS Hair Mayonnaise
Hairlox Cholesterol Treatment (the only cholesterol treatment I’ve found w/o mineral oil)
Aubrey Island Naturals Island Spice Cream Rinse
Aphogee Two-Minute Reconstructor
Suave Humectant Conditioner

I have found (and I pay attention too...) that just plain grease from the supermarket sort of coats my hair. And I get that stringy/greasy look. I have been using only natural oils (shea butter based products) and I like them better. My hair is oiled but not to death. I oil my ends everyday and I feel that it actually gets IN and not just coats the hair.

<font color="blue"> Thanks for responding Sassygirl. /images/graemlins/smile.gif sometimes I think we need a 24 hour hotline on this site! LOL
Maybe I should change the post to asking people to recommend products they like that don't have mineral oils in them.

<font color="blue"> Thanks for the list Sassygirl!
I could tell the difference when I used WGO on my hair. Like Henrilou said in her post....the product went right into the hair. Ladies I think I have some throwing out to do /images/graemlins/frown.gif and some shoppin in my in the near future /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sometimes I think we need a 24 hour hotline on this site! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean there isn't one already? /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Did you mean after shampoo deep conditioners or daily moisturizing conditioners?
Cause I've got a list of those, too /images/graemlins/grin.gif
WGO was a godsend for my relaxed hair, but it does absolutely nothing for my natural hair. It just sits there looking all greasy... Do you like liquids, pomades, creams, lotions? I've tried almost everything...

<font color="blue"> I only have been really happy with WGO when i use it when my hair is wet. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the product.
Lately I feel like i'm doing homework. I read about hair and write questions down in my hair journal. LOL yup i'm nutty. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'm also looking for a cheap but good shampoo that doen't have Sodium Lauryl sulfate or ammonium laurel sulfate. This also wasn't an easy task. Some where i read that shampoos containingTriethanolamine (TEA) salts of alkyl sulfates are much more mild in their detergent action or shampoos with monoethanolamine (MEA) that are also similarly mild. Shampoos with TEA or MEA salts may be more appropriate for people with damaged or dry hair.
I'm actuall looking for a creamy mosturizer. Someone in a post recommended Motions Moisture enhancing hair dressing. I'm going to see if can hunt that down. I live in canada and we just don't carry a ton of fancey new black hair products here. And if we do, you have to hunt for them. Internet ordering is a a last resort cause its soooooooo expensive and the shipping charges kill me....unless i can sweet talk them into sending it as a gift /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Your suggestions for conditioners will help me a lot. I saw that ORS hair mayonnaise and aphogee product you mentiond at the beauty supply store in the city. There so many products in the store that if i don't have anything in mind before hand I leave with nothing cause there just too much products in there that i can't decide!
I'm looking for a creamy leave-in..... is there one that you like that you can suggest?

I'm not positive, but I think the Motions may have mineral oil in it...
I use Natural Island Hair &amp; Scalp Nutrient (also called Island Citrus Pomade), Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, Hair Balm, Mimosa Hair Honey and Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade, but these may be too heavy for relaxed hair (unless it is very dry).

Check these out:
ORS Carrot Oil
All Ways Natural Oil Moisturizer
Kiehl's Creme de la Creme w/Silk (it has a weird chemical/medicinal smell, but it works)
Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
John Freida Relax (it's in a squeeze tube, but it is very thick)
Frizz Ease Wind Down Cream, Curl Friends Humidity Blocker and Physique Frizz Control Curl Cream are made to keep type 3 curls from frizzing, but I used them to moisturize my hair when it was relaxed and it worked. And they aren't greasy.

The only shampoos I've found in stores that don't have sodium lauryl sulfate in them are Creme of Nature, Salon Selectives Completely Drenched and baby shampoo. Health food stores have lots of chemical free shampoos, though. Aubrey Organics, Nature's Gate and African Formula make good ones.

Happy Shopping! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In reply to:
The only shampoos I've found in stores that don't have sodium lauryl sulfate in them are Creme of Nature...

To Sassygirl and everybody,
I have a bottle of creme of nature (blue and white with yellow cover) and it lists SLS in the ingredient. How come? cos i have been hearing people rave about creme of nature not having SLS in them. please clarify-do they make BOTH SLS and non SLS shamppos??

to pandora:
Yes, I have a Creme of Nature shampoo that lists SLS as one of the ingrediants so I stopped using it.

the one in the green and white bottle for Dry Brittly hair is SLS free. the rest have sulfates in them.

kia, are there other creme of nature shampoos that do not contain SLS. i find this thing with creme of nature confusing /images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks for clearing that up beana3! you are super /images/graemlins/cool.gif

That's true that the Creme of Nature shampoo with the blue and white with yellow cover does have SLS in it. But that particular brand is for people that have thin or fine hair. The original formula of Creme of Nature shampoo with the red writing on the bottle doesn't have sulfates in them.

That's weird. Maybe they changed the formula or something. I know the packaging looks different from a few years ago... Mine looks like this:

http://store6.yimg.com/I/ebonyline51_1715_320941

I use the one with the red label (normal hair) and the one with the green label (dry, brittle hair) and neither one lists any sulfates in the ingredients. But they do have sodium hydroxide in them! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's way at the bottom, but still...

Honestly, shampoos with SLS and whatever else hair products have in them like cones don't do anything damaging to my hair. I LOVE Creme of Nature, except when I have dandruff because it doesn't benefit my issues /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. As for the mineral oil thing, I find that when I apply greases with mineral oil to my scalp, it dries my scalp out quickly, but leaves my hair greasy. Honestly, I like my hair greasy /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I can't stand when my scalp dries out. That's the main reason why I had to stop using Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil, though I LOVED the look it gave me. I really want to switch back because now, I use the TCB Hair and Scalp Conditioner (no petroleum or mineral oil). The only issue I have with it is that it isn't as heavy as I would like it to be. I may just use one the scalp and the other on my hair.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Honestly, shampoos with SLS and whatever else hair products have in them like cones don't do anything damaging to my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

karonica:
Your hair sounds like it is similar to the hair a friend of mine. She has beautiful, just below shoulder length, natural spiral curls (3b?--it looks like Felicity's hair...) and washes her hair every other day with clarifying shampoo, never deep conditions and uses Baby Vaseline to 'moisturize' her hair. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
She says Vaseline is the only thing she has found that is heavy enough to weigh her hair down and keep it from turning into a giant afro. And a giant tub is cheaper than hair grease. An 8 oz. jar of grease would probably last her a week! Her hair always looks gorgeous, of course... /images/graemlins/mad.gif LOL
You can't really tell how greasy it is unless you touch it. Or let her borrow a blouse. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
She probably owns a total of 5 hair products. If she saw my overflowing closets and product graveyard behind the sofa (in the box my printer came in!), she would pass out!

Back