• Honey
• Sorbitol
• Glycol
• Dipropylene glycol
• Ammonium lactate
• Propylene glycerol
• Polyethylene glycols
• Glyceryl Triacetate
• Sodium Pyrollidone Carboxylic Acid (Sodium PCA)
• Butylene Glycol
• Hyaluronic Acid
• Urea
I knew of a few of these, but not all of them. Thanks for a better detailed list.

Curious: When is everyone officially going to put their glycerin/humectant products up for the winter?

Have you tried substituting the humectant with rosewater or aloe vera juice? Those can make the mixture more moisturizing without causing the problems that humectants can.
This is my first real winter while on my HHJ. Last year, I was still using my Scurl products (while in Kinky twists/braids) because I was down in SC, and it was no where near the level of Ohio coldness. I made due.

I've heard so much about Aloe Vera Juice...I always walk past it in the grocery store. So..get the Juice, and not the Gel right?

^^^^ brrrrr weren't you cold?? I would be so cold.... wet hair all the time.... brrrr I want to wear hats to bed in the winter.... and never take off my long johns.... if I could shower in them I would.
At first, I thought, "what she know about Long John's..until I read that you're in Ohio too :yep: I love them, nothing better!

I remember Whimsy telling me about the glycerin being a no no during winter. So I was thinking I'd cut the glycerin and coconut oil out of my moisturizing mixture (too bad, I liked smelling all tasty, had guys sniffing my hair and going mmm :giggle:) and use aloe vera gel to moisturize and castor oil to seal. Then I saw someone say aloe vera juice. Is there a big difference?

I remember Whimsy telling me about the glycerin being a no no during winter. So I was thinking I'd cut the glycerin and coconut oil out of my moisturizing mixture (too bad, I liked smelling all tasty, had guys sniffing my hair and going mmm :giggle:) and use aloe vera gel to moisturize and castor oil to seal. Then I saw someone say aloe vera juice. Is there a big difference?

Daeuiel http://www.longhaircareforum.com/members/277206.html From what I understand aloe vera juice is more concentrated and is edible for internal health benefits. The gel isn't edible and can be used for burns etc. I believe the gel also has other stuff added to it which is why it isn't edible.

I plan on buying the juice as I will be putting it in a spray bottle mixed with rosewater and wheat germ oil/water.

Last edited:
Daeuiel http://www.longhaircareforum.com/members/277206.html From what I understand aloe vera juice is more concentrated and is edible for internal health benefits. The gel isn't edible and can be used for burns etc. I believe the gel also has other stuff added to it which is why it isn't edible.

I plan on buying the juice as I will be putting it in a spray bottle mixed with rosewater and wheat germ oil/water.

Oh, okay. But um, I wasn't going to eat it...is the gel ok for moisturizing hair or no?

use aloe vera gel to moisturize and castor oil to seal.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that castor oil is also viewed as a humectant. So, within the next month I plan on leaving my castor oil alone. I've pulled back out my shea butter and have used that a few time, switching between the two a few time.

How exactly do you use the aloe vera gel? I have two big bottles for medicinal purposes and didn't know it could be used on the hair. Is it used with the leave-in conditioner?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that castor oil is also viewed as a humectant. So, within the next month I plan on leaving my castor oil alone. I've pulled back out my shea butter and have used that a few time, switching between the two a few time.
I couldn't find the mention in this thread, but I googled and you're absolutely right. It's still hot and humid as Hades outside, but when it gets cold I'll use something else to seal. Thanks!
How exactly do you use the aloe vera gel? I have two big bottles for medicinal purposes and didn't know it could be used on the hair. Is it used with the leave-in conditioner?

I didn't know either until someone on the board said it, lol. I just use it after I rinse out my conditioner, like I used to use my hair grease. I put a little on my scalp in sections. I used to have SERIOUS flake issues before I started doing this. :nono:

I couldn't find the mention in this thread, but I googled and you're absolutely right. It's still hot and humid as Hades outside, but when it gets cold I'll use something else to seal. Thanks!

I didn't know either until someone on the board said it, lol. I just use it after I rinse out my conditioner, like I used to use my hair grease. I put a little on my scalp in sections. I used to have SERIOUS flake issues before I started doing this. :nono:

Thanks a lot!!!!

aww man, I'm so upset to hear this. I was okay with putting away my glycerin for the winter but castor oil is my #1 fav for multiple uses. I'm gonna have to be really careful about it now or just find something else. how will winter affect if your mainly applying it to the scalp? TIA

Also, I understand about protecting your hair, and that humectants take moisture out of your hair if the air is not moist. If you're in braids and wigging it up all winter (like I am doing) will that counteract the humectant affect of the castor oil, or no?

are you guys using the real AVG you get from the health food store? because the brand i use (lily of the desert) is a dietary supplement and obviously can be taken internally...but then i see some ppl with "AVG" that is usually the kind ppl use for sunscreen purposes and sometimes its bright green and thick...the good AVG you use in your hair should most likely be clear, and its not really gelly like ecostyler or ic fantasia in consistency, bit its thicker than a liquid...i have aloe juice too but i havent opened it yet

are you guys using the real AVG you get from the health food store? because the brand i use (lily of the desert) is a dietary supplement and obviously can be taken internally...but then i see some ppl with "AVG" that is usually the kind ppl use for sunscreen purposes and sometimes its bright green and thick...the good AVG you use in your hair should most likely be clear, and its not really gelly like ecostyler or ic fantasia in consistency, bit its thicker than a liquid...i have aloe juice too but i havent opened it yet

I use this brand, it's clear and not quite at thick as a hair gel, but not runny either.

I am getting ready to DC with ORS Replenishing Pak--it is full of Humectants it seems. What can I use throughout the winter to DC without killing my hair?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I have a hair steamer and it does wonders throught the winter. I DC or do oil treatments and my hair stays very moistured, doesn't shed.

In the winter I stay away from coconut oil because it freezes in my hair when I go outside LOL Castor oil feels more greasy in the winter. I usually rely on EVOO, avocado oil, grapeseed oil and jojoba oil in the winter since they seem lighter. If I do use coconut oil I'll pre-poo or mix it up with a conditioner. My staple DC is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. I also like the Mirta de Perales line but it's hard to find.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I have a hair steamer and it does wonders throught the winter. I DC or do oil treatments and my hair stays very moistured, doesn't shed.
Yet again, another reminder to myself that I need to buy a steamer! Still debating on the Huetiful or the one from salonsrus.

Back