What styles don't look cute on you?

brg240

well i'm bunning but i think i look like an old lady with a pulled back bun. I think my face is too round/short/fat for them. Which is not great because i have for 99% of my life bunned my hair (i am in a bun now.) I look better with my hair out.

So lhfc what styles look great and what styles do you need to stay away from?

I can't pull off a Mohawk to save my life.

i hope you didn't shave your head and then were like oh this won't work. I've never tried one myself. well i couldn't in the past but i could try one now i suppose. but i don't know how to braid so I guess not.

Twists. My hair is too fine, my twists are spacey and show a lot of scalp. Not cute at all.

Hmm..looks that flatter me: Side buns and chignons, side or high ponytails, layered hair, bangs, hair in general that frames my face

Looks that don't: slicked back hair that doesn't show any of my hair when you look at me head on like centered ponytails and buns, big hair with too much volume around my face, flat hair with no body or movement

Pamadoor styles are also tricky for me. Small ones are cute but ones that take up too much of my head or definitely not!

I used to say straight hair, but that was when my hair was thinner. Now that my hair has thickened up in the last year, I think I could get used to straight hair on me (once or twice per year lol).

So, I'll now say shorter-length straight hair. Which I never plan to rock again lol.

Braids and cornrows
messy buns
undefined afros
big afros
wigs

pretty much any style that makes my head look bulky

My hair is neck length and my neck is long. Braidouts are hit or miss. Mostly misses. I think I need longer hair to pull these off. I ALWAYS pin my braidouts up.

Box braids with no extensions. I have very fine hair and unless I make the braids really tiny, I look bald...

i hope you didn't shave your head and then were like oh this won't work. I've never tried one myself. well i couldn't in the past but i could try one now i suppose. but i don't know how to braid so I guess not.

...um...definitely not!

I should have said "frohawk."

DO's:
Big fluffy fro
Braidouts
Twist/Braid Extensions in an updo
Mini braids on my natural hair
Ceasar cuts
TWA
Short, pixie cuts

DONT's:
Long, straight, flat hair
Twists on my natural hair
Twistouts on my natural hair

Braidouts and afro's, braids without extensions, and anytime my hair is shorter than SL I have to wear a bun or cut it into a shape cause I have a long head and neck and it doesn't look right at that awkward in-between length.

My hair is neck length and my neck is long. Braidouts are hit or miss. Mostly misses. I think I need longer hair to pull these off. I ALWAYS pin my braidouts up.

ITA! Long-necked NL natural chiming in here!

Also, I notice styles which frame my face look best on me. Not hide my face, but frame it. Even when relaxed I did not think a plain ponytail looked right on me, I think it can work with curls though and a bang!

Straight styles usually look great on me imho, but I'm trying to be creative with my natural hair (which has been frustrating me this whole week). :rolleyes: :look: Even when I wore weaves it was either a bone straight style or as my mom calls them a "barbie style." You know when the hair is straight until a point and then BANG flowing curls/waves? :yep:

braids and twists without extensions (i'm trying to embrace my thin hair :-( ). Blow outs, twist outs, wash and go's....ugh i cannot find a style that looks good on me at all :'(

eta- it doesn't help that i have a HUGE forehead.:nono:

Last edited:
Looks that don't: slicked back hair that doesn't show any of my hair when you look at me head on like centered ponytails and buns, flat hair with no body or movement

The above. Plus straight "chinese-style" bangs, hair without layers framing my face.

I stay away from these styles:

- Short bobs
- ANY style where a bang is involved
- ANY style where a center part is involved

I have a small head and face, so my hair looks best going away from my face. So, fortunately, buns are one of my most becoming styles...good thing, too, cause I wear them a lot.

Back