What Strength Relaxer?

• Mild

Votes: 66 36.5%
  • Regular

Votes: 99 54.7%
  • Super

Votes: 21 11.6%

• Total voters
:bump: I'd love to hear more responses. I'm about to self-relax with Affirm Fiberguard (no-Lye) and I have fine to medium relaxed (close to bone straight) hair strands. Normal or Mild? What do you all do, regardless of the relaxer you are using...

The Affirm Fiberguard Senitive Scalp No lye comes in a box of 9 individual applications, liquid activator, and a measuring cup.

You measure the specific amount for mild, normal, or super and there are specific instructions for how long to leave each on.

I measure enough for normal, and mix it into the relaxer until a creamy pink color. Then I just follow the timing guidelines. I leave mine in for 15 mins max. I don't let mine get bone straight.

For your hair since you say it fine to medium; it seems like you could use mild or normal. The instructions say to use mild for fine hair (13 mins) and normal for medium hair (15 mins). You will have to be the judge of which to use. HTH

Last edited:
Optimum Super. I've used it since at least 1992. I have thin but very coarse hair. I remember going to a salon to go from natural to straight with a relaxer and leaving with a cute Cleopatra wrap, then showing up the next week after washing my hair with my hair back to my high-top fade natural! The stylists were all in shock LOL. Regular strength can't deal with my stuff, which always surprised me because my hair is on the thin side. Also, Optimum Regular leaves my hair rough feeling, no matter how much I condition whereas super leaves it soft and I'm able to maintain softness afterwards.

What brand relaxer do you use?
Silk Elements Megasilk Mild, leaves a little texture. I was surprised it worked for me b/c I used to always talk about how kinky my "stuff" was but this relaxer is definitely the truth for me.
What is your hair type?
4a kinky coily
Is your hair thick or fine?
thick
Have any relaxers left you underprocessed? ORS does not cut it for me but I like their other products

Last edited:
The Affirm Fiberguard Senitive Scalp No lye comes in a box of 9 individual applications, liquid activator, and a measuring cup.

You measure the specific amount for mild, normal, or super and there are specific instructions for how long to leave each on.

I measure enough for normal, and mix it into the relaxer until a creamy pink color. Then I just follow the timing guidelines. I leave mine in for 15 mins max. I don't let mine get bone straight.

For your hair since you say it fine to medium; it seems like you could use mild or normal. The instructions say to use mild for fine hair (13 mins) and normal for medium hair (15 mins). You will have to be the judge of which to use. HTH

I've got the exact relaxer kit you're talking about in my bathroom cupboard! You've been swooping in like Superwoman to help me out here and I'm so appreciative! :thankyou: I bumped the thread hoping that after hearing more input I would feel more confident in my decision to use normal as opposed to mild. Selfish, I know. :blush: But it will be my first self-relaxer and I'm crazy nervous! :nervous2: I've decided I'll be doing normal for 15 minutes. Thanks again, Kellum!

What brand relaxer do you use? At the moment Affirm Regular Lye
What is your hair type? 4B
Is your hair thick or fine? Medium Thick
Have any relaxers left you underprocessed? ORS No Lye & Affirm is starting too!!! :nono: Dang it!! I think I need super of Affirm now. My newgrowth is laughing at the relaxer now.
Making me mad b/c I clarify shampoo my hair a week prior to apply a relaxer to remove any product buildup.:ohwell:

Back