What size are you rollers?

DatJerseyDyme

What size are your rollers?

I'm just wondering if I should go up to the next size (grey) rollers - I'm currently using purple. What size rollers are you ladies using - and how long is your hair? How do you know when to move up to the next size? I read somewhere that your hair should only go around the roller 1 1/2 times. Is this so? TIA :)

Last edited:
I use purple rollers, but I like for my hair to be a little bit more towards the curly side. And when I do roller wrap with the purple, it has more body than when I use the gray. I will probably bump up to the gray when my hair reaches closer to mid-back, because I think I'll get the same results with the gray at that length that I do with the purple at my current length :)

Hugs,
Crys

I use mostly greys (2.0) on the sides and back, but blac (2.5) on the top.

My hair is about an inch past collar bone, a bob-cut.

How long is your hair?

webby said:
I use mostly greys (2.0) on the sides and back, but blac (2.5) on the top.

My hair is about an inch past collar bone, a bob-cut.

How long is your hair?

Now, my hair is b/s. There's a pic in the photo gallery.

P.S. How come I'm the ONLY person that's not able to do a sleek doobie! Mocha..how'd you do yours?

DJD. Now you know you need to move up to another size roller.. I use the purple ones and your hair is WAY longer than mine. :look:

but to answer your question.. my hair is a few inches past shoulder length and I know it's time to move to a bigger size when I end up with big grandma curls after rollersetting. i dont know about how many times your hair should go around the roller, i'd imagine that if your hair was wrapped around it like 10 times or something it would take longer for your hair to dry though.

Oooo, your hair is so pretty!

BTW, the key to the wrap is all in the blowdryer and the technique.

I use a mix of purple and grey...purple on the sides and front...grey from the crown to the back (center of my head). My hair is a few inches past shoulder length now.

candibaby said:
DJD. Now you know you need to move up to another size roller.. I use the purple ones and your hair is WAY longer than mine. :look:

but to answer your question.. my hair is a few inches past shoulder length and I know it's time to move to a bigger size when I end up with big grandma curls after rollersetting. i dont know about how many times your hair should go around the roller, i'd imagine that if your hair was wrapped around it like 10 times or something it would take longer for your hair to dry though.

I agree with Candibaby. DJD, I feel you certainly need to move up in size!!
I moved from gray to the light green rollers (3 "?) this past year and your hair is WAY longer than mine too! My purpose is not to curl my hair but to airdry it straighter, in the least amount of time. I use the gray curler on my bangs (which I'm growing out).

Well my hair is not long at all and I just graduated to the purple rollers with the orange ones in the top only for fullness:)

I use purple and silver/gray. The purple is at the front of my head and the silver/gray is toward the back. I used to get a blow-out once a week and one day the stylist used silver/gray rollers all over my head so I knew it was getting longer. But now that I had a major trim, it's back to my old purple-silver combo.

My hair is 18 1/2 inches long and when I was using all silver/gray, it was 23 and 3/4 inches long.

Last edited:
:cry3: I can't find any black ones!!!! I currently use the grey ones. I bought some deep purple ones which are maybe 2 - 3 times larger than the grey ones and I can't use em because I can't fit under the dryer.

I use grey (2 in), purple (1.75 in?) and black ones (1 in). My hair is about 16 in long from scalp to ends (Summer 2004).

One time I tried to dry my hair with green rollers... but it never dried! :whyme: Then another time, pink... but it never dried! :mad:

I usually use black and purple rollers in the front, and grey ones in the back. The more new growth I have, the smaller the size of the roller (It helps me get my NG straighter).

I know I need to use the grey ones but I can't fit my head under the dryer with them so I keep using the purples. Its frustrating because it takes so long for my hair to dry. This is why I haven't roller set in a long time. I guess I need a bigger dryer (or a smaller head!) :)

Thanks for all of your replies! I don't think I'll fit under the dryer with the silver rollers..I'm barely fitting now, so I guess I'll stick with the purple until this summer, then I'll get a new dryer..off to the recent thread about dryers with bigger hoods! :)

Pink & two green, but I think when I went to the Dominican Salon they used the Orange on me, but my hair wasn't as curly as I usually like it, so I'll stick with the pink! :)

With midback hair I use 2 inches mesh rollers. I use 24 rollers. I think I turn the roller 4 times to come to roots.
I seriously consider using 3 inches rollers to speed up the drying but I am afraid my hooddryer will not be wide enough.

I use yellow and tan because I want it to look curly. But the red and teal give me great volume and a nice end bump

I added pics of my set in the photo gallery-it's done with purple rollers, but the front was touched up with caruso rollers because it had fallen flat. It looks kind of foo-foo, and I think that wouldn't be so if I had used GREY rollers. I guess I'll just keep practicing with the purple ones and then move up! Thanks everyone for your input :)

Back