What re the naturals using to moisturise their hair?

Just wondering cos I remember always having dry natural hair.

Can you use oil alone on natural hair?

Or must you use a moisturiser like Olive Oil Hair moisturiser?

Oil only seals it does not moisturize.

You want to use the oil after you place the moisturizer of your choice.

I use a couple of things.

A homemade spritz which has aloe vera gel, conditioner, glycerine, hawaiian silky, rose water. (Basically whatever is under my sink with the mandatory conditioner, aloe and hawaiian silky base)

I also have the grow afro hair long leave in conditoner/moisturizer that I use right now and then I place Jamaican black castor oil on the ends.

I use a home made spritz and butter:

Spritz
*liquified aloe vera plant
*coconut oil
*Jojoba oil
*papaya oil
*Glycerin
*water

Butter mixture
*Hemp seed butter
*mango butter
*shea butter
*cocoa butter
*Grape seed oil
*Sweet almond oil
*coconut oi
*papaya oil
*jojoba oil

These are the only two things that I use to moisturize my hair.

My latest leave-in experiment is a combo of conditioners (Premier Cream Rinse and Elasta QP IFC), juiced up with a bit of an oil mix of mine (red palm oil, shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter) and some SAA, and a healthy does of Honeyquat.

So far, I like it - it's leaving my hair soft, but not oily/producty - it feels like everything is soaking into my hair.

I've also noticed that using conditioners as moisturizing leave-ins makes my hair SO much easier to untangle when it gets wet again.

I'm 4b natural and I'm using Aphogee (sp?) leave-in/water mix in a spray bottle on wet hair. On dry hair I'm using Cantu Shea butter and sometimes a little HB LTR leave-in sealed with an oil mix (avocado/grapeseed/jojoba/coconut and a dab of honey). On scalp I use peppermint oil/jojoba/a little lavender mixed with water and MSM. My roots feel softer and my scalp feels better since I started with all this stuff. Oh and I avoid sulfate shampoos cause those leave my hair feeling dry regardless of how much leave-in a slap on.

Oil only seals it does not moisturize.

You want to use the oil after you place the moisturizer of your choice.

I use a couple of things.

A homemade spritz which has aloe vera gel, conditioner, glycerine, hawaiian silky, rose water. (Basically whatever is under my sink with the mandatory conditioner, aloe and hawaiian silky base)

I also have the grow afro hair long leave in conditoner/moisturizer that I use right now and then I place Jamaican black castor oil on the ends.

Coconut and Olive Oil both penetrate through the shaft. There may be others that do this as well, but those are the two that I know of.

I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing Cream, then seal with Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine butters.:lick:

Gives me great moist-but-not-oily/greasy-hair!:grin:

i leave in my VO5 most of the time and seal with raw shea butter or africa's best herbal oil; for second day hair i use miss jessie's baby buttercreme sealed with one of the above or bb oil moisturizer sealed with one of the above. i like to have options.

I went back to Elucence MB conditioner and Trader Joes Nourishing Spa as leave-ins and seal with EVOO. It's been wonderful.:yep:

Hi Nice & Wavy,

I use BB Oil Moisturiser, Coconut Oil & Kemi Oyl Conditioning Spray. In this warm weather I have to moisturise every other day and lightly spritz in the am & pm. Not sure what's in the Kemi but it feels good and works great.

MeechUK

Last edited:
conditioner spritz:
Naked naturals conditioner
glycerin
aloe vera gel
water
HE: none of your frizzness
sometimes I add: healthy sexy hair, pumpkin potion leave in with ginger root. (I love the smell)

Or: Silk Elements, leave in moisturizing creame

Seal with:
raw unrefined shea butter: plain or homemade whipped mix
or: EVOO
or:virgin coconut oil

I put a dollop of conditioner (currently using some garnier fructis conditioner) in my freshly co washed wet hair and seal with castor oil.

i use mainly water to moisturize my hair, since it is the best way. i also use bonner brothers castor oil moisturizer, and it works wonders.

Well, it may catch a bad rap for the ingredients, but Pantiene Daily Oil Moisturier (from the Relaxed and Natural line) has done wonders for my 4b hair. I almost gave up on finding a staple moistuizer until I stumbled on to this!!! Trust me, I have tried everything ( from inexpensive to the over priced) and nothing would moisturize my hair...Talk about frustrating:ohwell:
Anyway, please try this, if nothing else, you are only out of about $5...but I don't think you will be disappointed, I surely wasn't! :grin:

subscibing!

I still dont get the oil only seals and doesnt moisturize thing because I really really feel on my hair it absolutely does and that would be on dry hair too!

so I dunno!

Hi Nice & Wavy,

I use BB Oil Moisturiser, Coconut Oil & Kemi Oyl Conditioning Spray. In this warm weather I have to moisturise every other day and lightly spritz in the am & pm. Not sure what's in the Kemi but it feels good and works great.

MeechUK

Hi MeechUK!! How are you?

Well, it may catch a bad rap for the ingredients, but Pantiene Daily Oil Moisturier (from the Relaxed and Natural line) has done wonders for my 4b hair. I almost gave up on finding a staple moistuizer until I stumbled on to this!!! Trust me, I have tried everything ( from inexpensive to the over priced) and nothing would moisturize my hair...Talk about frustrating:ohwell:
Anyway, please try this, if nothing else, you are only out of about $5...but I don't think you will be disappointed, I surely wasn't! :grin:

I was looking at this in Target last week.

I was looking at this in Target last week.

Give it a try. Whether you are looking for your staple product or taking a break from the regular moisturizer. Plus, a little goes a long way!!! It's very rich! I use very little and seal with coconut oil once a day.

Re: What are the naturals using to moisturise their hair?

A lot of the ladies here are using spritz they've made themselves.

Which I would do but never keep up.

Is spritz better than a moisturizer in a tub/bottle?

I asked about oil cos, I thought natural hair wasn't as drying as relaxed hair? (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Therefore just a little water and oil should be sufficient?

Avocado Butter
Komaza-coconut lotion,coconut milk
KBB-hair nectar
Njoicreations-coconut hairdress Happy Hair Growing!

Creams to moisturize and oil to seal. I like creams made by Curly and The Roots, and I use any oils with natural ingredients. Creams and oils best when I use them after a good deep conditioning.

I’m currently transitioning to natural and use Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm and Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream (which are now my staples). The moisturising combination of the Qhemet Biologics product’s works wonderfully for my hair; it feel’s soo soft and hydrated all day. I also use black Jamaican castor oil & coconut oil to seal.

I generally use shea butter as a moisture leave in but I'm not satisfied. It works well when my hair is wet and in twists. But after a few days the hair is dry BUT oily??? I dont' get that. I mixed it with aloe veral gel, glycerin an jojoba oil.The Gio. dir. lv-in can get crispy in my hair. I'm looking forward to using Qhemet and see how that goes. Right now, I have no leave-in but my hair is in twists anyway so it's ok.

I wear spirals so I moisturize each strand every other night or as needed. I use QB's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (I'd sell my soul for that stuff), then seal with pure Castor Oil, paying special attention to the ends. Unbelievable softness and hydrated, glistening curls... not greasy or slick either.

The Heavy Cream has Castor oil in it already but I still seal with oil alone.

I seal my hair when it's damp. Water provides the moisture, castor oil locks it in. Sometimes, a bit of conditioner is left in my hair when I seal also.

I've stepped up my deep conditions to 1-2x a week. I've also started to do hot oil treatments some nights and then baggying because I have the type of hair that will look dry as heck in the morning (even if it isn't that dry). I have seen a big differences in how moisturised my hair feels.

If I'm in braids, I mix up an olive oil based spray and use that every few days. When I take the braids down, my hair is very soft and silky feeling.

I've been using V05 Moisture Milks mixed with Lustrasilk Cholesterol.

My hair loves the stuff, go figure.

I seal with coconut oil when needed.

I frequently rotate between Abba Pure Gentle Conditioner and Giovanni Direct Leave-in.

ETA: I don't use oil in my hair. My hair feels much better w/out it and I haven't had any moisture issues.

Last edited:
Back