What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and why?

Diva_Esq

I recently noticed a very lonely, unused container of EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil) on the way back of my product shelf! I used to be EVCO's biggest fan when I was transitioning, but have since kicked it to the curb for EVOO and Argan Oil because it seemed like the EVCO was making my hair a little hard. :nono:

Are there products you used to be crazy about that you don't give the time of day anymore? :look: Why don't you use them?

Sound off!!! :yep:

Re: What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and w

Giovanni DL.
At first, it helped me detangle beautifully on dry hair (although I used up half the bottle.)
I noticed it made my hair crunchy so it wasn't as moisturizing as I'd like it to be. I'm giving it another chance because I need both cream base and water base moisturizers for different things. I'll mix my Giovanni with an oil or seal with an oil to fight against the crunchiness.....
I'll never revisited Lacio Lacio though. Maybe relaxed ladies like it better?
Organix conditioner def. gives me slip, but I figured out a way to detangle without needing all those 'cones.
The Denman brush, still love it but I cut down on the number of times I use it.

That's all I can think about for now....

Re: What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and w

It would have to Be Aphogee 2 Step for me.

This is my long time friend of over 15 years. I had to let it go. One and Half hours under the dryer and still not dry was my calling that this wasn't something I wanted to continue. :nono:

My Large Rake comb has bit the dust. Tangle Teezer came in my life and I've never looked back :yep:

I used to love Let's Jam... :nono: :nono: I know...somebody shoot me...but my hair started rebelling and I knew it was time to let it go...

Lacio Lacio. My rollersets used to come out beautifully when I used it on relaxed hair. Now, my hair just scoffs at it.

Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol used to be my favorite leave-in/twist cream when I first bc'd then all of a sudden, it started leaving residue and just sitting on my hair.

smooth-n -shine activator gel.

I loved that stuff, but I started using more natural ingredients and then they changed the formula...so on to KCCC!!!

side note:It made my hair really greasy, but it moisturized so well and I never had a bad a hair day.

ORS replenishing conditioner. I used to think this was ish, but I realized that it wasn't really moisturing my hair as well as I thought it was. After a couple of days my hair would be dry and crunchy.

Chi Silk Infusion: Well I just realized that I was paying a boat load of money for a product that didn't really do very much other than smell good.

I've since replaced both products above with products from shescentit.com

spritz and pink lotion- but now I know better

Unrefined shea butter. It was my go to. I used to use it years ago on my twist outs. But now that I'm natural again and there are so many more options out there, that tub of butter is now collecting dust.

iliked Elasta QP mango butter cream stuff when ifirst joined :grin:

..it started drying my hair out :ohwell: ihavent repurchased since..

too many to list but I can tell you the three that I am faithful too but actually the 4

Kenra MC
Duo Tex
HE hello hydration
Lenzi's Request growth Stimulator

Tresemme products, I still like them but I no longer co wash. I miss them, the smooth and silky conditioner was the best... so was the thermal recovery one. I really want to try the new natural version of what I believe to be smooth and silky .. but they don't have tresemme at my Walmart (can you believe that) and i'm an PJ in recovery...

I also was crazy about aussie moist, NTM line, and herbal essence.... wouldn't .touch any of that besides long term relationship line ... every thing sucked for my hair I just thought l liked it because I didn't know any better. I don't know it probably was the packaging.

I can only think of one right now but I was crazy about Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. When I first started my hair care journey, this product made me see a significant improvement in my hair's condition. I've recently repurchased but it's too greasy for me to use even though I still like it. I'm going to try it again during the middle and towards the end of my stretch when that greasy residue can work to my advantage.

I used to love Parachute Coconut oil and Vatika and some ayurveda powders I used to get from the local Indian grocers but now I dont even bother. I just use regular coconut oils and sulfate free shampoos and moisturizing condishes.

to many to count. i am a habitual bandwagon jumper:nono:

Wild Growth Hair Oil- It was a great sealant, but I didn't feel like spending around $8 on a little bottle...so I stuck with my EVOO.

henna/indigo for jet black hair, I loved the color results but henna takes too much elasticity out of my hair. I can tell the difference between my hair that has been treated with henna and the hair that was not. My hair without the henna has better elasticity and retains moisture better. Also, scalp started having reactions to the indigo. I would experience intense itching that would last for days. I only used henna/indigo from hennasooq, mehndiskinart(henna only) and hennaforhair. (I mentioned this because I know someone will ask where I purchased my powders from)

It would have to Be Aphogee 2 Step for me.

This is my long time friend of over 15 years. I had to let it go. One and Half hours under the dryer and still not dry was my calling that this wasn't something I wanted to continue. :nono:

My Large Rake comb has bit the dust. Tangle Teezer came in my life and I've never looked back :yep:

Tangle Teezer is my new love too! And my large tooth comb is jealous! :spinning:

ORS replenishing conditioner. I used to think this was ish, but I realized that it wasn't really moisturing my hair as well as I thought it was. After a couple of days my hair would be dry and crunchy.

Chi Silk Infusion: Well I just realized that I was paying a boat load of money for a product that didn't really do very much other than smell good.

I've since replaced both products above with products from shescentit.com

I agree...this isn't really all that for me either!

too many to list but I can tell you the three that I am faithful too but actually the 4

Kenra MC
Duo Tex
HE hello hydration
Lenzi's Request growth Stimulator

My transitioning hair liked HE HH...my natch hair HATES it! I like HE Hydralicious & Totally Twisted though!

to many to count. i am a habitual bandwagon jumper:nono:

*In my best Michael Jackson voice* Youuuuuuu are not alooooooone! :)

Hmmm...interesting question:

- ORS Hair Mayonaise - Worked early on when my hair was less healthy I guess.
- Aphrogee products - 2 min Reconstructor & Balancing Moisturizer - I have found better products.
- Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo - I liked this one but LOVE DevaCurls better. I decided this right after I bought 2 extra bottles. :-(

Spent $$$ on a huge bone comb, but rarely use it now.

Had to ditch ORS Replenishing Packs, too. I don't know what they changed, but they make my hair feel realllly gross.

Aphogee 2 min- I left that for Joico K-pak

AOHSR- I left it for Joico Moisture Treatment Balm

HEHH- I left it for Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner

Do you see a pattern here? :)

My cheapie co-wash condish- White Rain Tropical Coconut. I used to use this almost daily when I co-washed. Now, I don't even use it to detangle...

Oh and Garnier Fructis: That Curl and Shine...Yeah I haven't used that in years and I used to use it like everyday.

sipp100 why don't you use your bone comb? I was planning on buying one....

I rotate most things that work. Didn't use henna for almost a year but now I'm back. Was off shikakai and amla, etc., for quite a few years - now I'm back on them too. I went through a multi-year phase where I only used almond oil. There are so many different things that work for hair we can't use them all at once but if you truly liked it you'll get back to it eventually.

Had to ditch ORS Replenishing Packs, too. I don't know what they changed, but they make my hair feel realllly gross.

I second this...I used to like ORS replenishing paks a lot...but over time I didn't like the way my hair felt after using it...even after washing I noticed it was still on my scalp, I would have to scrub or shampoo to remove it completely

Before I discovered the hair care boards I loved Doo Gro products! I used the shampoo, oil, detangler and DC! I loved Hask Henna and Placenta too but found out it could cause cancer so I let it go as well!

Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. It was very moisturizing but it was just too dang heavy for my hair, even if I used the tiniest amount.

HEHH and HELTR my relaxed hair loved them ... natural hair no likey

S-Curl - worked well and still does but Ive ditched it for Qhemet prods AOHC and BRBC

Aphogee 2 Minute - it's okay but I then moved to Joico K-Pak which seems much more superior. I really notice a difference in my hair when I use K-Pak

When I first started out in my HHJ I really liked Lacio Lacio and Giovanni Leave in, not sure why because they didn't really moisturise my hair.

Back