What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and why?

Re: What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and w

When I started my hair journey I only used 4 products that I can remember. CON, QH cholesterol, wild growth oil and infusium. I didn't know about protein yet and its importance in maintaining relaxed tresses :giggle:

CON - well...ya'll know why

Infusium - ya'll know why

QH cholesterol - just didn't like it anymore and found Keracare.

Wild growth oil - the smell bothered me.

Started CO washing with Suave tropical coconut - just didn't like it anymore and found something better.

Re: What product were you wild about in the past that you have since abandoned, and w

Hask placenta n olive oil conditioner-I read here it has cancer causing properties
Creme of nature- relaxed hair loved it, natural hair hates it
Giovanni smooth as silk-use to buy a lot of the regular sized bottles but once I bought the bigger bottle, I just stop using it as much. I still use it as a leave-in sometimes.
Giovanni Direct Leave-in- stopped using it once I discovered Qhemet Biologics aohc and brbc.
Oil sheen- when I was relaxed I would used this almost everyday (organic root stimulator) to "moisturize" my hair and scalp. I had a bottle left and my sister and I found other uses for it.
Chi silk infusion- it's okay but satin press works a lot better and cheaper when I flatiron my hair.
I did revist my old love-jojoba oil and olive oil.

JAM! I would have bought a gallon tub if that were possible. I'd still use it if the need came for it. :look:

Nexxus Humectress: I used this for years but abandoned it as soon as I found better products. Kenra MC and Joico Moisture Balm leave my hair moisturized longer. And AO products are about the same as Humectress to me, but they're more natural :yep:.

Kinky Curly Curling Custard: has sat in my bathroom for almost four years because it makes my hair hard. I need products to work well by themselves without having to add stuff to it. I like EcoStyler and Qhemet Biologics Tea Gel Better

Mizani Moisturefuse and Keraphix-again found better stuff

Giovanni Direct Leave-in: I have tried over and over again for years, but its hit or miss. Sometimes it makes my hair hard, and sometimes it doesn't. Just used it because I couldn't find anything better and I didn't have to purchase online.

EVCO and EVOO: They have both made my hair hard when I used them alone in the past and I am scared to revisit them. They work ok added to my conditioners, but I'm so happy with my DCs I don't need them.

Aveda Damage Remedy Everything: I really like this but I can't afford it at this time in my life :blush:.

Last edited:

First it was Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie then I purchased the GroAfroHairLong detangler. They were good to me at first.....at least I thought at the time but I noticed every time I used them(different times of course) I noticed a lot of broken hairs in my hands after applying and also broken hairs in the jar/bottle!

The only product I use on a daily bases that does not break my hair off believe it or not is Mane and Tail conditioner. I use it as a leave in.

Who would've thought!:lachen:

KCKT -- Doesn't moisturize my hair as well as GDLI
Qhemet Biologics AOHC -- Doesn't moisturize my hair as well as GDLI

Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner

I loved this conditioner but didn't like having to order it. If it were available in brick-and-mortar stores near me, I'd be buying it on the regular like I do Aubrey GPB. :yep:

Aphogee 2 Minute - it's okay but I then moved to Joico K-Pak which seems much more superior. I really notice a difference in my hair when I use K-Pak
@Cream Tee sorry to be dumb but what product is it exactly in the k-pak range?
K-PAK Intense Hydrator....
K-PAK Liquid Reconstructor... K-PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor:drunk:

Last edited:

Giovanni conditioners, I still like them but they're so thick that the annoying bottle shape makes it a real pain in the keister to pour out by the time you get to the halfway point.

I do like the direct leave in enough that I'll buy it and pour it into a color mixing bottle though.

Wild Growth Hair Oil- It was a great sealant, but I didn't feel like spending around $8 on a little bottle...so I stuck with my EVOO.

yep. this. i stopped using it around SL. although now that my hair is MBL & suffers in winter, i'm considering giving it another go in fall...

I used to be crazy about Joico and Kenra products, well uh, "due to the recession" I had to stick with BSS and drug store brands that work for me. Not to mention I was a horrible pj(13mos and 6days) in recovery so I've been using up what I have and I still haven't made a dent in my stash.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Long Hair Care Forum App

@Cream Tee sorry to be dumb but what product is it exactly in the k-pak range?
K-PAK Intense Hydrator....
K-PAK Liquid Reconstructor... K-PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor:drunk:

This one. :yep:

Qhemets AOHC: The Kimmaytube Leave in with GDLI instead of KCKT is a better moisturizer for me. AOHC was hit or miss for me.

Cantu shea butter olive oil. They changed the forumula and made it more cone heavy

Cantu Shea Butter.....it just got too clumpy and I was always washing my hair due to the build-up.

- Silicon Mix- the smell started giving me a headache and my other conditioners are better
- Dudley DRC 28- no longer need it
- Qhemet biologics- too greasy

KeraCare products. I started using this line when I first joined this board and was relaxed. My relaxed hair loved it and it was great even with a few months of new growth. I would use the Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, KeraCare Humecto Creme Conditioner, and the Conditioning Creme Hairdress. But then I decided to become natural and after 3 or 4 months KeraCare wasn't cutting it (wasn't moisturizing enough) and I had to look around for better things. *sigh* If I were to go back to relaxed I would probably use this line again.

I used be wild about adding honey into my conditioners...used to make my hair extremely soft...I dunno why I don't use it anymore....over time something about using food in hair (avocados, bananas, eggs) rubbed me the wrong way

S-curl was my daily moisturizer I absolutely loved, but that stuff stinks. I now put Suave coconut conditioner in my hair for daily moisture. I know it's not a leave in, but it works for me and keeps my hair soft and smells good too, along with pure coconut oil to seal.

S-curl was my daily moisturizer I absolutely loved, but that stuff stinks. I now put Suave coconut conditioner in my hair for daily moisture. I know it's not a leave in, but it works for me and keeps my hair soft and smells good too, along with pure coconut oil to seal.

Man I forgot about s-curl!!! That stuff was so great...made my hair super moisutrized. But I really didn't like the smell either :nono: So i ditched it for better smelling moisturizers.

Mizani deep conditioners! I have since put all of their products down in place of products with all natural ingredients. I evenually learned that all of the alcohol and other junk was hurting rather than helping my hair :drunk:

Pre-LHCF and kinda OT: Not really prod related but my biggest thing was that I use to LOVE wrapping my hair and having my hair bones straight...of course, no more!!!

Prod related, post-LHCF:
Cheapie conditioners that require a bunch of mixing to make them work. I finally woke up and realized that I'm not really saving any money by going this route with having to mix in a bunch of oils to make it work better. I'm now about quality conditioners.

EXACTLY! I don't see how it's a bargain to buy a conditioner (even if it's a bargain) and add items to it.

I've pretty much abandoned KCCC because I don't really do wash n go's anymore.

I also used to love that Olive Oil Sheen Spray, I forget the brand name.

Perhaps you're referring to the Organic Root Stimulator Brand? Or the Fantasia IC brand?

Regarding the original question, I've abandoned Hydratherma Naturals Protein Balance Leave-In & the Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I loved both of them at first, then I realized that both of those products work the same for my hair.

Both of them are moisturizing but redundant for use in my hair.

I used to take biotin daily and got a lot of thickness. I dunno why I stopped, just forgot I guess. But I'm back on it now *takes biotin*

Topical growth aids.

They may work if you are dedicated (I swore MTG worked for me back in the day, but I don't think I'd want to go back to having oil run down my neck and forehead, smelling like liquid smoke, and limiting how i can style my hair because of whats on my scalp. sometimes i think about doing a short 1 month mtg run, but I quickly talk myself out of it).

I found that patience works best for me. My hair grows around .5 inches, and I am just trying to retain that instead of focusing on what to put on my scalp to get that 1 inch or more a month. I really just focus on moisture, hair retention, low manipulation and overall health over length. Even if it means cutting thining ends and reducing some of the length to achieve healthier and thicker looking hair.

Cantu shea butter. Bought it off recommendations, and used it when i first bc'd. i'm not heavy handed with products, but it seems i have to put a lot of this in my hair to notice anything, and not enough comes in a jar, so thats out.

Oil sheen type sprays. My go to was profective mega growth oil sheen. I loved how it smelled.

Last edited:

Cantu shea butter. Bought it off recommendations, and used it when i first bc'd. i'm not heavy handed with products, but it seams i have to put a lot of this in my hair to notice anything, and not enough comes in a jar, so thats out.

I've since abandoned it too. It dries my hair something awful.

S Curl Activator.... I used it for a lil moisturizing when I needed it, and oowee it was nice at first but over time it started to dry my hair out. I don't know why. I wanted to like it though.
*le sigh*

And

Cantu Shea Butter.... I tried it and regretted buying it. It makes my hair feel dry too, and I don't like how it smells. My boyfriend uses it and I'm gonna give mines to him and go back to my ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion.
Yessh.

NTM silk touch leave in - I used it daily but today i noticed my hair is way too mushy.... I either need to cut back or hang it up... It's either that or my deep conditioner doing this to me...

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle the moisturizing version (I try to avoid cones when wearing my hair curly)
Elasta Qp Dpr (I had to doctor it up by adding oils and I have since found conditioner that work as well)
Kera Care Humecto (It sometimes leaves what feels like a film on my hair worked better when I was relaxed)

Back