What Others Thought About My New Look (VENT)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The only person that likes my hair is my boyfriend. I love him.

Most of you LHCF ladies love my hair. Thank you! :kiss:

My mother hasn't seen it yet. She's real cool and probably won't have a problem with it at all. Sunday, she even offered to cut my relaxed ends off for me! :shocked: But I told her I would probably cut it off after church, which I did! :grin:

My brother said I jacked up my hair.

One of my cousins said "Awww man! You better grow that back."

My sister said "I can't believe you did it! You're so brave! You have a dike hair cut now."

My dad: "WHOA! Your hair looks awful! Why did you do that, Pooh? You need to go back to relaxers."
I told him that "My hair does not look awful and the relaxed hair was breaking off so I cut it. I wanted to stop using relaxers and go natural. I like my natural hair and I'm happy with it."
He says "No one cares about that! You're suppose to look white...especially since you're gonna be an accountant!"

Isn't that sad!!!! and ignorant for him to think that!!!!! :ohwell: And does he know I do not care what other people think? Especially if I'm not doing anything wrong. But I don't care about their comments. As long as I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.

Yeah, when I BC'd I got very mixed reactions too. I think you just have to be ready for this when you take that step.

The funny thing was that two of my classmates BC'd a few weeks before I did. All the white people in our classes were so confused. I think they thought the black people were planning some kind of revolution or something.

Anyway, just ignore them. YOU have to live with your hair day in and day out...not them. Have you liked every hairstyle that they have ever had? Probably not. Just wear your TWA with style and confidence and you can't go wrong!

Whoa! I'm sorry your folks are giving you such a hard time about you're hair, especially the comment your dad made about needing to look white since you're going to be an accountant. :confused: Unfortunately some people can be ignorant and rude when it comes to natural or short hair. A dude once asked me if I was a dyke because of my natural hair. Your haircut looks great on you, very cute and feminine. Continue to do you and shake those haters off!

I'm so sorry you went through that. However, you have the right attitude. Keep your head up. I will probably will be going through the same ignorance. I will be chopping in November. One year transition anniversary.

If you feel you did the right thing for yourself, then forget and ignore people's negative responses. When they see your hair flourishing then they will not have anything to say.

Congratulations on your BC.

Poohbear,

Your hair looks beautiful. People are just narrow minded, sometimes those people are our family members. Your hair fits you to a tee!!!, not to say it didn't before but you look great! Stay focused on your hair journey & keeping yourself satisfied. ;)

Pooh, I honestly want to encourage you to keep on keeping on ;)
In the beginning, I think it's just DIFFERENT for everybody so they simply can't relate. :cool:
Give it some time - after about 6 months or so, they'll all be like...............Dang, your hair is really long, dang your hair is sooooo thick. Oooooh, who did your hair? is that a weave? :eek:

We - as black people especially, need to understand that relaxers or naturals or okay, just whatever you choose.
However, I feel that when a person is willing and wanting to embrace their "true" self people should definitely be more supportive. :)

Boy, we have a long way to go - people have been so brainwashed. :(

Whatever, while their trying to figure it all out, we'll be on our way to natural, healthy, long hair!!!

Wow @ your Father's comments Poohbear.:( Don't let the negativity get to you. You did what was best for you and your hair and that's all that matters. People are just going to have to accept it and move on.

Phoenix said:
Yeah, when I BC'd I got very mixed reactions too. I think you just have to be ready for this when you take that step.

The funny thing was that two of my classmates BC'd a few weeks before I did. All the white people in our classes were so confused. I think they thought the black people were planning some kind of revolution or something.

Anyway, just ignore them. YOU have to live with your hair day in and day out...not them. Have you liked every hairstyle that they have ever had? Probably not. Just wear your TWA with style and confidence and you can't go wrong!

ITA. It seems no matter what you do with your hair there is always someone with some unsolicited advice. And you tell your dad you do not have to "look white" to be an accountant, you just have to look clean and professional and you already have that look. Girl, you wear that hair with pride, and forget what everyone else has to say, it looks great on you :)

He actually said 'you're supposed to look white'?

I hate when people make natural hair all political and difinitive but that's some serious self hate going on.

They'll think differently after they see how think and beautiful your hair is gonna look when it gets longer! Then they'll start to compliment you.

I'm so sorry people are having such negative reactions to your hair. I know when I chop i'll probably have to encounter the same thing but you have the right attitude. You did something that you felt was best for you and your hair and that's all that matters. It's always funny to me how other people have such strong emotions on something that doesn't even affect them :confused: . Your hair was gorgeous before and it's gorgeous now. Keep the attitde you have now and eventually they will learn to accept it..hopefully :look: .

Phoenix said:

LOL at the white people thought you were planning a revolution. Now wouldn't that be something!

A dike hair cut?! :eek: What tha??? And this....You're suppose to look white...especially since you're gonna be an accountant!" :eek: I can't belieeeeve he said that! By the way does he know that you don't even wanna be an accountant?!

Girl don't worry about them. At least your boyfriend likes it. I think it looks good on you! :)

I can't wait for your to grows long, thick, healthy, and beautiful. All of them are going to be feeling your hair and talking about how good it looks. Don't take offense, but your dad has mad issues. I don't know how I would act if my dad tried me like that, but i'm blessed that my dad never liked my hair relaxed.

LOVE, PEACE, AND SOUL............

Last edited:
Phoenix said:

I sure will ignore negative comments and continue to live with my hair daily. And no, I haven't liked every style they have. I'm gonna wear my twa, while I have it, with confidence and assertiveness! :king:

SeatownSista said:
Whoa! I'm sorry your folks are giving you such a hard time about you're hair, especially the comment your dad made about needing to look white since you're going to be an accountant. :confused: Unfortunately some people can be ignorant and rude when it comes to natural or short hair. A dude once asked me if I was a dyke because of my natural hair. Your haircut looks great on you, very cute and feminine. Continue to do you and shake those haters off!
I'll surely be shakin' those haters off! :woot:

Lee said:
I'm so sorry you went through that. However, you have the right attitude. Keep your head up. I will probably will be going through the same ignorance. I will be chopping in November. One year transition anniversary.

If you feel you did the right thing for yourself, then forget and ignore people's negative responses. When they see your hair flourishing then they will not have anything to say.

Congratulations on your BC.
Thanks. Make sure you show us some pics of your BC! :grin:

Bmm said:
Poohbear,

Your hair looks beautiful. People are just narrow minded, sometimes those people are our family members. Your hair fits you to a tee!!!, not to say it didn't before but you look great! Stay focused on your hair journey & keeping yourself satisfied. ;)
Yes, very narrow minded. I sometimes think my family thinks too highly of themselves. And I know you werent saying my hair before didn't fit me. ;) I'm going to stay focus and I know I'll be satisfied with my natural hair as I progress. :yep:

Lilpretty1125 said:
In the beginning, I think it's just DIFFERENT for everybody so they simply can't relate. :cool:
Give it some time - after about 6 months or so, they'll all be like...............Dang, your hair is really long, dang your hair is sooooo thick. Oooooh, who did your hair? is that a weave? :eek:

We - as black people especially, need to understand that relaxers or naturals or okay, just whatever you choose.
However, I feel that when a person is willing and wanting to embrace their "true" self people should definitely be more supportive. :)

Whatever, while their trying to figure it all out, we'll be on our way to natural, healthy, long hair!!!
Brainwashed... that's what I saw after hearing all these comments about my hair... brainwashed to think blacks should get relaxers when they really don't have to. We black women have a right to choose whether to relax or whether to be natural. I wish there would be more supportive blacks as well of natural hair.

Lilpretty1125 said:

Brainwashed... that's what I saw after hearing all these comments about my hair... brainwashed to think blacks should get relaxers when they really don't have to. We black women have a right to choose whether to relax or whether to be natural. I wish there would be more supportive blacks as well of natural hair.

SilkyandSmooth said:
Wow @ your Father's comments Poohbear.:( Don't let the negativity get to you. You did what was best for you and your hair and that's all that matters. People are just going to have to accept it and move on.
I know my brother and sister will accept it and move on. I just know my dad will not. He's very pessimisstic and loves dwelling on things (bad things and things that don't go his way especially) and picking at people. So sad...especially since he's a pastor... :ohwell:

cincybrownsugar said:
ITA. It seems no matter what you do with your hair there is always someone with some unsolicited advice. And you tell your dad you do not have to "look white" to be an accountant, you just have to look clean and professional and you already have that look. Girl, you wear that hair with pride, and forget what everyone else has to say, it looks great on you :)
Yes! You can look clean and professional with natural hair! I see several black women with natural hair in business magazines. Thanks for your comment!

Brush your shoulders off Pooh & keep it moving...
Those who don't like it will be up under your butt when your hair looks versitile like Halle Berry's.....
Whatever Man!! :look:

sprungonhairboards said:
He actually said 'you're supposed to look white'?

I hate when people make natural hair all political and difinitive but that's some serious self hate going on.
Yep. He actually said it.

I should have asked him: "Why don't you relax your hair straight to look like a white man?"

SO IGNORANT! :(

Sorry to hear that...those opinions don't matter in the least. As long as YOU are happy with it (and your sweetie)...the rest will simply have to live with your decision, like it or not.

Personally, I think it's really cute! :yep:

CORBINS said:
They'll think differently after they see how think and beautiful your hair is gonna look when it gets longer! Then they'll start to compliment you.
Yeah, they just gotta get used to it but you know what? I don't care how long it takes them to get used to it. I'm used to it and I know God is surely used to it since that's how my hair looked from the beginning! :grin:

chocolate01 said:
I'm so sorry people are having such negative reactions to your hair. I know when I chop i'll probably have to encounter the same thing but you have the right attitude. You did something that you felt was best for you and your hair and that's all that matters. It's always funny to me how other people have such strong emotions on something that doesn't even affect them :confused: . Your hair was gorgeous before and it's gorgeous now. Keep the attitde you have now and eventually they will learn to accept it..hopefully :look: .
Thanks! I'm glad I have the right attitude about it and haven't let these negative comments get to me. I think what helped me was expecting these comments since I changed my look. No tears shedded here. Plus, IMA STRONG BLACK YOUNG WOMAN! :up:

Poohbear said:
He says "No one cares about that! You're suppose to look white...especially since you're gonna be an accountant!"
I know I'm all late, but I cannot BELIEVE YOUR DADDY SAID THAT :mad:
Pooh, I have so much respect for you and other ladies, who buck up against corpoprate america and wear your hair natural. :up:
You keep your head up and keep representing who YOU are, not who your daddy wants you to.

Stormy said:
A dike hair cut?! :eek: What tha??? And this....You're suppose to look white...especially since you're gonna be an accountant!" :eek: I can't belieeeeve he said that! By the way does he know that you don't even wanna be an accountant?!

Girl don't worry about them. At least your boyfriend likes it. I think it looks good on you! :)
I've told him before I didn't want to be an accountant anymore and he kinda got mad at me. I even told him today that I wasn't interested in corporate nor public accounting, maybe the federal government (be a CPA that's an FBI agent :sekret: and work on embezzlements, fraunds, moneylaundering, etc). He didn't like it saying it was dangerous, but I DONT CARE! He's not gonna run my life! :nono:

Back